Proposed Discussion Board Revamp
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> League Business

Submissions: 20

Proposed Discussion Board Revamp
Posted on Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:39 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

With my work on Articles winding to an end, we can finally look at upgrading to a newer version of phpBB... And take the current one out behind the barn, and shoot it... As should have been done long ago.

With that on the horizon, I am reminded of some changes that have been spoken of over the years, as well as some others that have sprung to mind...

Let's discuss Very Happy

Current Board:
Discussion
- Knitting Circle
- Articles Discussion
- Gallery Discussion
- Weaves Discussion
- Group Projects

Extras
- Chat
- Trading Room
- Wire Arts

M.A.I.L
- League Business
- Requests
- MAIL Help

Administration
- Fund Raising
- Admin Discussion

Proposed Revamp - Basically renaming a few for clarity, repositioning a few for logical flow, removing a few due to lack of use, and doubling of purpose.:

Discussion
- General Maille (Renamed Knitting Circle)
- Show & Tell (Renamed Gallery Discussion)
- Weave Help (Renamed Weaves Discussion)
- Wire Arts (Moved from Extras, as it does interface all-too-often with Maille, and needs better exposure in the forums)
Note: Aside from the recent "Forumed Articles", Article Discussion is essentially a pointless forum. Questions would be much better served in General (and probably more seen)

Community
- Group Projects (Moved from Discussion)
- Gatherings (Created as replacement for Gatherings unused section of main site - Would help people discuss proposed gatherings, renfests, etc..)
- Off-Topic Chat (Renamed Chat)

MAIL Administration
- League Business (Moved from M.A.I.L)
- Fund Raising
- Admin Discussion

I'm torn as to a location for "Website Help" (proposed new name for M.A.I.L Help)... Not sure which of the three new "sections" it belongs in, in my world view...
Requests needs to die... A quick look through it shows a whole bunch of "Moved:" posts that have been pushed elsewhere so they get read and answered, and NOTHING that wouldn't be better served in Website Help or General Discussion.

Also torn about creating a seperate forum under "Community" named "Contests & Clubs" or some such... To house the Gallery Contests, Birthday Club, Secret Santa, etc.

Comments? Questions? Suggestions?!
Speak up! I CAN'T HEAR YOU! Coif LoL

Submissions: 11

Posted on Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:51 pm

I would say put the website help under the auspices of "MAIL Administration." Or just tell everyone to email you directly since you're the man... Uber

Submissions: 28

Posted on Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:17 pm

I support the addition of the Contests and Clubs section, but somewhat oppose the renaming of Weaves Discussion. I like the occasional trivia or theory that comes up, which I feel is better fit in a "weaves" subtopic, rather than in "general". But hey, that is just my opinion.

while(!project.isFinished())
project.addRing();
// Maille Code V2.0 T7.1 R5.6 Eo.n Fper MFe.s Wsm Caws G0.8-1.6 I2.4-8.0 Pn Dcdejst Xw1 S07

Submissions: 0

Posted on Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:50 pm

I like having a better place for Gatherings; don't care for the 'Show and Tell' rename, seems a bit more juvenile than 'Gallery Discussion.'

Posted on Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:07 pm

Oh yeah. And I'd miss the knitting circle too. Sad

Submissions: 5

Posted on Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:19 pm

'Weaves Help' should probably be 'Weaves Discussion and Help' as it is for both discussion and help and not just help.

Submissions: 574

Posted on Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:35 pm

I am in the camp of not wanting to change the name to 'Weave Help', for reasons stated above. 'Weaves Discussion' or 'Weaves Discussion and Help' both sound fine.

I support the idea of having a separate Contests and Clubs section.

Chainmailbasket.com (2019-01-01) - 376 + 79

Submissions: 149

Posted on Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:48 pm

I side with CMB.

-ZiLi-

Maille Code V2.0 T7.1 R5.6 Ep Fper MAl Ws$ Cpbsw$ G0.3-6.4 I1.0-30.0 N28.25 Ps Dacdejst Xagtw S08 Hip

Human societies are like chain mail.
A single link will be worth nothing.
A chain is of use, but will break at the weakest link.
A weak weave will have the need to replace weak links.
A strong weave will survive even with weak links included.
-'me

Submissions: 42

Posted on Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:48 pm

I would agree with CMB, ZiLi and lordmcfuzz concerning the Weaves Discussion.

I like the move of the "Wire Arts" and your reasoning for it. How about the "Trading Room"? While it doesn't get much activity do we want that type of requests in the general discussion area?

I also agree with Jax that I would miss the Knitting Circle. I think the term is more inviting. Smile

I would suggest putting the "Website Help" under Community because when there are issues they tend to effect the whole community.

Once you stop learning, you stop living, so...
Ask questions.
Try new things.
Share what you know.

MailleCode V2.0 T5.3 R4.4 E0.0 Feur MFe.sBr Wg Cwb G.7-5.1 I3.1-11 N20.5 Pj Dcdjt Xa1w2 S08

Posted on Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:34 pm

Erk, skipped Trading Room... That belongs under Community Smile

Weave Discussion and Help works for a title Very Happy

Re: Show and Tell... It was the best I could come up with instead of Gallery Discussion... Which really isn't really an accurate title... Almost never do we get "Hey, does anyone know where I can find X in the Gallery?" or "Hey, this is expanding on my post Y in the Gallery"...
Accepting alternatives Smile

Re: General Discussion vs. Knitting Circle...
I expected this to be unpopular Wink And again, I'm open to discussion...
I'm fighting history here, I'm aware Razz But how many times do you see a newbie refer to their mailling as "Knitting"? Razz
I refer to mine as weaving, from time to time, but never knitting... "Weaving Circle" is even more confusing...
I opted, instead, for something a little more... Beginner Friendly?

As far as MAIL Help goes... We have a vote for under Administration, and a vote for under Community...
This is where I'm torn!
More votes, more votes!!!

Where would YOU expect to find it?!

Submissions: 3

Posted on Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:05 pm

what about adding a section of its own for discussing R&D of new tools, cutting systems, home built gadgets, and things of that nature? currently all the discussion goes on in the knitting circle, and things tend to get lost in their or difficult to find again after a while.

just my 2 cents

Posted on Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:16 pm

Dravin wrote:
what about adding a section of its own for discussing R&D of new tools, cutting systems, home built gadgets, and things of that nature? currently all the discussion goes on in the knitting circle, and things tend to get lost in their or difficult to find again after a while.

just my 2 cents

It's a good idea, Dravin... But how many people would honestly use it on a regular basis?
While I'm busy trying to remove unused forums, and amalgamate... It's hard to justify opening a new one.

Posted on Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:02 am

Daemon_Lotos wrote:

I'm fighting history here, I'm aware Razz But how many times do you see a newbie refer to their mailling as "Knitting"? Razz
I refer to mine as weaving, from time to time, but never knitting... "Weaving Circle" is even more confusing...

I have referred to it as "knitting mail" in the past. Besides, are beginners really that confused? Thirdly, other maille sites have their general discussion area termed general or discussion (or both). Having it called Knitting Circle sets us apart. *waves banners*

Submissions: 2

Posted on Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:37 am

Daemon_Lotos wrote:

As a relative newbie, whenever I'm describing what I do to the unwashed masses, I usually say that I knit, but with steel.

I think Knitting Circle should stay. We all realize it's the same thing, but General Discussion just seems so bland and boring.

Posted on Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:22 am

Shadowfire19 wrote:
Daemon_Lotos wrote:

As a relative newbie, whenever I'm describing what I do to the unwashed masses, I usually say that I knit, but with steel.

I think Knitting Circle should stay. We all realize it's the same thing, but General Discussion just seems so bland and boring.

But we're all bland, boring people!!!!
>.>
<.<

Yeah, that's the ticket....

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 2. Goto page 1, 2  Next