Home Anodizing - White
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 0

Home Anodizing - White
Posted on Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:25 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

Hi all,
I'm new to these forums, but have been chain mailing for a few years now. I just recently started to home anodize my own aluminum rings, with some success.
The issue I'm running into is I can't make anything close to white. The internet says it's not possible. But I've purchased white rings from The Ring Lord before so I know it can be done; does anyone know how?
please and thank you Smile

p.s. like I said I'm new here, if i posted this in the wrong place, please let me know and I will move it Smile

Submissions: 20

Re: Home Anodizing - White
Posted on Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:22 am

CC wrote:
Hi all,
I'm new to these forums, but have been chain mailing for a few years now. I just recently started to home anodize my own aluminum rings, with some success.
The issue I'm running into is I can't make anything close to white. The internet says it's not possible. But I've purchased white rings from The Ring Lord before so I know it can be done; does anyone know how?
please and thank you Smile

p.s. like I said I'm new here, if i posted this in the wrong place, please let me know and I will move it Smile

TRL's Anodizer does not use a setup comparable to a home anodizing setup... Nor do they discuss their methods.

That being said, the stereotypical standby for white in the past has been Acid Etched Aluminium...
It's entirely possible the White is etched THEN anodized without dye, and boiled (to seal the rings).

Good Luck!

Re: Home Anodizing - White
Posted on Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:12 pm

Daemon_Lotos wrote:

TRL's Anodizer does not use a setup comparable to a home anodizing setup... Nor do they discuss their methods.

That being said, the stereotypical standby for white in the past has been Acid Etched Aluminium...
It's entirely possible the White is etched THEN anodized without dye, and boiled (to seal the rings).

Good Luck!

I'll have to give that a try, thank you!!

Submissions: 3

Posted on Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:03 am

DL is correct here, another thing you need to look at is the material, or type of aluminum 6XXX 5XXX. etch the base metal and that will be the result you get, some aluminums will be more grey in color then white. another issue you might run into is contaminants in your process, they can leave trace deposits and color your piece. one last consideration is your cathode material, a lead cathode should be avoided when attempting a clear ano, the lead particle's your tank can cause your white to turn grey as well, so try to use only aluminum or titanium cathodes.

Posted on Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:40 pm

Call up Caswell and ask them directly. They sell the best kit around, and know their stuff. They will be able to help you.

Make saw cut rings: http://www.Ringinator.com/

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1