making a hauberk
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 0

making a hauberk
Posted on Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:51 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

I have been asked to make a chainmaille/leather hauberk for a friend in SCA. He wants a 12g 1/2" id SS ring. I am wondering how many rings I would need to make this. Keep in mind, the maille would be from the shoulders to mid thigh and 3/4 sleeves. I would like a rough estimate on the amount of rings I would need so I can give him an idea of what it's going to cost him in materials.

Jason

Posted on Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:53 pm

almost forgot, this is a simple E 4-1 pattern.

Jason

Posted on Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:16 am

Here is a link that you can use to figure it out.http://theringlord.com/cart/shopcontent.asp?type=Euro4in1ShirtCalculator

Also it will give you a total weight for the Hauberk I was looking at doing an 8 in 2 kings mail pattern IN SS till I found it would be 111lbs.

Thanks,
Brad

Submissions: 100

Posted on Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:15 am

I would guess upwards of 10000 for an average size person. I would reconmend tighter than 1/2" for 2.4mm wire. it will come apart easily. The other issue with macro stainless is always the weight. Why not some tight alluminum links in thick wire?

Submissions: 574

Posted on Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:35 am

djgm wrote:
I would guess upwards of 10000 for an average size person. I would reconmend tighter than 1/2" for 2.4mm wire. it will come apart easily. The other issue with macro stainless is always the weight. Why not some tight alluminum links in thick wire?

1/2", 12 gauge in stainless steel will not come apart easily.

Chainmailbasket.com (2019-01-01) - 376 + 79

Submissions: 1

Posted on Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:00 pm

djgm wrote:

Yes; you have to go the other way, with ARs tighter than 4. Quite reduces the weight savings, though they do remain. Even at that, Al is still prone to getting mooshed, being the soft metal it is.

It's an exceedingly coarse weave JayGee is looking at, one not at all like the 18gaSWG@1/4"ID that would have been more medieval. But that'd be mild steel riveted anyway -- whole 'nother animal. It'd go together fast, and resist corrosion. After those desirable properties, I would not be too keen on it myself, though -- been hanging out on the Armour Archive too long.

'The Minstrel Boy to the War is gone...'

Posted on Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:27 pm

Thanks for the info guys. We have actually decided to use the 14g fencing wire offered at Home Depot and a 3/8" inner diameter...whole lot cheaper and just as strong. I had considered using some wire I already have that I'm unsure of the gauge. I found it one day while dumpster diving, it appears to be the conduit wire used to carry electricity along the poles. It is 9 strands wrapped together in a plastic insulator. I'm guessing it about a 10 or 8 gauge wire. It's really thick, is not too hard to work with and holds it shape well. I reconsidered when the customer told me he wanted steel...besides I'm making myself a birnie out of it.

Jason

Submissions: 1

Posted on Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:26 pm

Gonna go play with the SCA rattan kids when your byrnie is done? Or would you rather LARP?

'The Minstrel Boy to the War is gone...'

Posted on Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:33 am

Gonna go play with the SCA rattan kids when your byrnie is done? Or would you rather LARP?

Nope, just something unusual to wear out.

Jason

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1