Rubber Rings supplier in the USA?
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 4

Rubber Rings supplier in the USA?
Posted on Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:56 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

I want to buy some rubber rings--I have bought rings from TRL before but I'm kind of tired of the shipping costing just as much as the rings themselves. I've looked through the list of suppliers in the US but none of them look promising (let alone have rubber rings) and a Google search wasn't very productive. Do you guys have somewhere you get them from whose shipping isn't outrageous? (I know it's probably customs, but seriously... my order weighed .4 lbs and it was gonna cost $12 to ship?!)

Submissions: 390

Posted on Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:40 pm

i know of a rubber ring supplier that offers black rubber in all sizes - applerubber.com. the price ends up being more because there is no way to get enough rings to equal the cost that trl can offer even with shipping included. i've done extensive searching and have found some good suppliers that offer lots of cool options, but you are always going to find that they are more expensive than trl i'm afraid - especially for the colored rubber rings.

Submissions: 1

Posted on Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:38 pm

Grainger.com has a small selection of black rubber rings, last time I looked I found a comparable size to TRL's 16g 1/4" and they specify sizes in ID and thickness so sizes shouldn't be too hard to find. Most are for industrial sealing, but I'm sure there are a few sizes that would be useful to chainmaillers.

Submissions: 11

Posted on Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:56 pm

I daresay that the shipping cost being so high is not customs - shipping companies just charge a lot, especially if you go with UPS. I got 4 tiny saw blades from Thurston that could have shipped by USPS for under $1 but since they do their shipping with one of the freight carriers (I believe it was uPS), it cost $9. Such is the cost of doing business with companies that aren't local.

With that said, I went and put a small sample order of EDPM rings into a shopping cart to see what the options were that it gave me - knowing that TRL offers regular mail (Canada Post) shipping which is usually cheaper than UPS - and it gives me three options for cheaper shipping: Envelope - Air, Small Packets - Surface and Small Packets - Air. I usually go with one of these when I can and the packages arrive in about the same amount of time as UPS ground (air tends to be quicker, of course). The only problem with them is that you can't track them so if that is a priority for you, you'd want to shell out the extra cash for UPS.

Also, if you wait until you can place larger orders with them, you will certainly save both in the cost of shipping and the percentage discounts TRL gives. The only time I EVER make an order under $100 is if I have a special order where I need the rings asap. Even then I try to scrounge up enough to get to that threshhold.

Submissions: 0

Posted on Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:04 am

I've used the following source of EPDM jump rings and have been very pleased with quality, price and quite reasonable shipping:

http://www.aluminumjumprings.com/xcart/home.php

Hope this helps.

Submissions: 20

Posted on Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:07 am

Rognvald wrote:
I've used the following source of EPDM jump rings and have been very pleased with quality, price and quite reasonable shipping:

Hope this helps.

Without knowing for certain, just juding by sizes and colours available...
I'd hazard a guess that those are re-sold TRL Rings.

Posted on Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:13 am

Rognvald wrote:

Hope this helps.

Holy crap. Thank you!!

Posted on Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:39 am

Just ordered a nice amount of rings from aluminumjumprings.com--their selection might not be quite as grand but I did need these sort of last-minute. Shipping was half the cost which was a huge factor in the savings. Before shipping, TRL still won on price, but TRL also requires you to buy a larger amount of rings--I love TRL, but this was sort of a special case where I needed the rings right away. Maybe one of these days I'll actually get around to placing a big order so that I'm all stocked up on rings Wink I still have yet to find a supplier for good wire in my area... After *years* of searching. It's pretty frustrating. Any of yous guys know of a place to get wire offline, while we're at it? Wink

Submissions: 20

Posted on Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:51 am

NinjaTails wrote:
Any of yous guys know of a place to get wire offline, while we're at it? Wink

Wire is a straight TRL purchase as well... IMHO...
LOCAL wire suppliers will easily cost you double, and their wire may not be the right alloy for your need...

TRL (and other maille suppliers) wire is carefully chosen to be the right mix of hardness and flexability to make chainmail out of.

Posted on Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:01 am

Bah. Good to know, but maybe not the answer I was looking for Razz I still don't have a proper pair of cutters, though most of my work is in bracelets or keychains anyways... I have a vest on the list and it's 1/4 of the way done but I'm not sure it's *ever* going to be finished and it's made of plain galvy with some pretty crudely cut rings. Wish I had the time and motivation to finish it. :/ Maybe next year before the Ren. festival...

Submissions: 574

Posted on Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:23 pm

Depending on what metals you're looking for, welding supply stores often have quality stainless steel wire, and "bright" aluminum. Sometimes bronze too. It's usually fairly strong tempered too. Just avoid any kind of flux core stuff.

Surely there are welding supply stores in Austin, TX?

Chainmailbasket.com (2019-01-01) - 376 + 79

Posted on Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:33 pm

Well... I'm not certain I'm going to be buying from aluminum jumprings again :/ It's been so long since I did maille, I had forgotten how small 1/4" was (I had thought to myself "I usually work in 3/8" so it shouldn't be too different, right....?") I still am making some cool bracelets/bracers with them, but there just aren't enough choices there. Guess I'm gonna be getting my stuff from TRL again. Razz

None of welding supply stores I've gone to have had wire acceptable for maille. :/ Most or all of them had small spools of galvy and lots and lots of solder... but no stainless and I haven't even run into aluminum. It's kind of frustrating.

Posted on Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:10 pm

Even TRL doesn't have much selection. 2 sizes of 16g and 1 for 18g EPDM. Not much all around I would say, can't really fault the suppliers. If TRL doesn't have it it pretty much doesn't exist or the demand is so low it wouldn't pay to have them made.

Did you take a look at grainger like I suggested in my first post here? Might take some looking but you should at least be able to find black rings with a inner diameter of 3/8". They had quite a few dozen sizes when I looked last.

May be a good idea to see if some people here would want some larger sizes and sell the other rings you don't use to those interested.

Posted on Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:50 pm

Just for kicks I called Apple Rubber here in NY and found out a few things.

They only can make 3 colors of EPDM because the color makes them less suitable for sealing applications. Go figure, they aren't expecting us to use them for chainmaille.

They make colored o-rings from silicone. (red, blue, yellow, green, etc) which is somewhat less "strong" than EPDM.

$750 minimum purchase each color each size. They have standard sizes comparable to 16g 1/4", 16g 5/16" and 16g 3/8". (AS-568 -010, -011, -012)

If you were to buy them today there is an 8 week lead time.

So If you have a huge chunk of change and a while to wait you can get a full catalog of colors.

Don't know where TRL gets the EPDM, but I would guess overseas somewhere.

EDIT: I'll call O-Rings West next, I'm interested to see what they have, the minimums are a lot smaller.

Posted on Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:39 am

I work part time at a fast food place--hence I'm not really able to buy in bulk Wink

What I meant by selection was actually the whole catalog--not just the rubber rings. AluminumJumprings.com doesn't have as many options as TRL but I'm going to go ahead and assume that's because AJ isn't quite as "big" and from what I can tell, haven't been around as long. Not that they aren't a good place to buy from if they have what you're looking for--my rubber rings shipped in about 5 days, and over the weekend. I just wish they had a bigger selection of EPDM and AA. I love that they sell in small batches because maille is sort of a side-hobby for me and I do maybe one or two projects a year, and I have a bunch of AA left over from TRL when I made my coworkers keychains last year... and I ordered 500 each of blue, green and black EPDM from AJ so I have a feeling they will be around for a long time... Oh well. I made myself a bracer with them and I've never worked with rings this small before and I love it. I'm planning on making a watch band out of it as I'm not allowed to wear bracelets of any sort at work, but I am allowed to wear a watch, but I'm not a big fan of metal watch straps and the cloth ones get nasty fast when they're constantly getting ice cream, water, and sometimes raw chicken juice on them... I'm really looking forward to having a watch I can actually wear at work Smile

I did look at Grainger but all they had were black rings, and came in a pack of 100 for $10! AJ's rings, though smaller, were only $2.50 for 100 and at least came in a variety of colors... So Grainger was quickly struck off the list.

Maybe if I ever open a maille rings shop I'll consider buying in bulk from Apple Rubber. Wink

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 2. Goto page 1, 2  Next