im making a tutorial and have made one
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 6

Submissions: 62

Yo we need a flower tutorial soon
Posted on Sat Oct 18, 2003 9:19 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

i think we need a flower tutorial i have talked to david austin about it and he said he'll try but anyone else is free to make one or give tips to halp make them
(sakredchaos i think u should too)

<a href="http://www.greatbodyofwater.blogspot.com">Great Body Of Water Music Blog</a> run by me and my friend.

Submissions: 32

Posted on Fri Oct 24, 2003 5:48 am

"experience is the hardest teacher first she gives the test then the lesson"

yes, and it is experiance with maille that allows sculptural maille, such as flowers, to grow into existance. It often begins with a basic idea... like to make a flower (or even a certain type of flower), or whatever.. then start thinking of weaves that will work for the various parts. what physical properties does a weave need to work well for a stem? for leaves? for petals? and for any of the other parts (depending on how detailed and realistic you want to get)?

look through the gallery and look for weaves that would make a good stem... if you want it to stand up on it's own it needs to be something that, with the right aspect ratio, will be very stiff. Full Persian comes to mind, as does it's close relation, Grizzly FP. Inverted round would work too, as would a single long column of jap-cube.

for leaves? I think a tight euro weave would work well. tight enough to support it's self so it does not just flop down. a HP chain with an rather tight AR might also work; again, tight enough so it supports it's self. at that AR it will have a natural curve. a tight HP sheet might also work... the basic idea is to make something sort of shapes like a leaf and attach it to the stem. of course, a flower does not need to have leaves.

it could have thorns, or leaves and thorns, or another offshooting stem with another flower, or more leaves...

for the flower part... again, a sheet weave with an aspect ratio that allows the weave to support it's self might be ideal for the petals. you'll need a bunch of petals, and some sort of thing to attach them to, something similar in shape to the thing on the base of a flower, but made out of maille, might be ideal. maybe a tiny basket-like structure, or something formed from jap-cube. you'll need to figure out how to attach the petals to it so it looks like the flower you want it to look like (and looking like nothing more than a maille flower is perfectly acceptable). I can't instruct you on how to do this, since it depends entirely upon what weaves are used for the various parts that are to be connected.

that's about it really. all it really takes is some messing around with weaves to get shapes that will be usefull... and some imagination and maybe an 'eye' for how to create things in 3D. learning the different properties of a few weaves is one of the most important things for this type of work. try using an AR that is too small to make things flexable enough to be used for jewelry, and try that with a bunch of different weaves... also, with different weaves, try slight variations to see if you can find any other odd properties that could be usefull for sculptural elements on things like flowers... such as HP 3-1's tendance to curl when a low aspect ratio is used or when the rings are doubled, and how it forms something completely different if the rings along one axis are staggered.

by expirementing like that, sometimes the creation process can work in the opposite way. expirimantation with a weave creates some type of structure or form, that makes the one who made it think it would work well for a stem or leaf (or dragonfly tail, snake or lizard body, house, castle, etc.). with the idea that this form will work for a certain element of some sculpture (flower, dragonfly, snake, turtle, castle, or whatever), the mailler (if they actually want to follow this vision) is forced to work further to figure out how to build the other elements of the sculpture (such as the head of a snake, if you found that round-maille makes a fine looking snake body; or the roof of a house, if you found that jap-cube makes nice walls; or the body or wings of an insect, if you found that a triangular hybrid of HP 3-1 and euro would work well as the hind end of an insect)

only a small number of maillers have made a small number of maille flowers. there is no one right or wrong way to make one because there are so many weaves that can be used.

in this case, the flower is the test, and you'll learn a lot more about the working properties of maille by figuring it out without a "this is how to make this flower" sort of guide.

and to end, I suppose I should mention that I have never made, or tried to make a maille flower... though that may change by the time some people read this.

Submissions: 79

Posted on Sat Oct 25, 2003 5:23 pm

dweezle is right.

the way to sculpture is no fear. just make it and if it doens't work, then you have some scrap lieing around that cna be used for anything.. i've had projects that should take many many hours go together in 6 because of scrap i've had laying around.

try it. if it didn't work, try the part that didn't work over again.

i was making sculpture in 2 months of starting maille.. (and baskets (basic sculpture) within 1 month. both without any tutorials or guidance, cause the things that people had made (if there was stuff prior to mine) wasn't put on the net. the closest thing i had to guidance was a picture of a jap4-1 cube that dweezle had on his site.

so, anyone can do it. so long as they just try.

PSA: remember to stretch.
3.o is fixing everything.

Submissions: 62

Posted on Sat Oct 25, 2003 8:18 pm

well wut u said dweezle is wut i wanted now o got some ideas but my crazy~cough grandma wants me to make one bigger than ur other grandma (uhhh how annoying) and my last one was about 5in tall

BTW i am not the master on tight AR's and i cannot figure anything of that that sort out but i no a stem idea for im not new to flowers but i want different ideas

ps boy its scary in southern cali right now the sun is casting yellow and orange shades all over it feels like its been dusk all day but this is caused by the fires (to many)

<a href="http://www.greatbodyofwater.blogspot.com">Great Body Of Water Music Blog</a> run by me and my friend.

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1