Search by Gauge and Size
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Requests

Submissions: 0

Search by Gauge and Size
Posted on Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:38 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

I would like to make a suggestion in regards to searching the library that in addition to searching by using the aspect ratio, you can also search by gauge and size.

Submissions: 76

Posted on Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:56 pm

With any wire you can make any weave as long as you use the correct AR.

Weaves are not restricted to gauge. You might just need more different mandrels to get the right AR with the wire you have.

Submissions: 149

Posted on Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:41 am

Ferdelance: That is already given. The weave database entries and also some forum posts where the authors didn't shy the effort to properly bbcode their AR data have already the feature to show a hover-over popup, with displaying proper wire/ring ID combinations. What remains is that the user tells the system via the user panel 'mymail' settings, which display format has to be used.

Example: For weave 'XYZ' I use rings with an AR of 5.0, for 'ABC' I use an AR of 3.0. Point to the AR numbers and see yourself. And thereafter do the AR search...

-ZiLi-

Maille Code V2.0 T7.1 R5.6 Ep Fper MAl Ws$ Cpbsw$ G0.3-6.4 I1.0-30.0 N28.25 Ps Dacdejst Xagtw S08 Hip

Human societies are like chain mail.
A single link will be worth nothing.
A chain is of use, but will break at the weakest link.
A weak weave will have the need to replace weak links.
A strong weave will survive even with weak links included.
-'me

Submissions: 524

Posted on Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:52 pm

A mailler who teaches them self to use wire diameter (in decimal inches and/or millimeters) instead of "gauge", will do them self a world of good.

AR is universal.

If you ever find an AR suggestion and don't know what ring size to use in a specific wire diameter or "gauge", ask us on the board and we will give you suggestions. Be sure and specify which gauge system your supplier of wire and/or rings uses.

Chainmailbasket.com (2019-01-01) - 376 + 79

Submissions: 524

Posted on Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:03 pm

I guess my lat post wasn't overly helpful with regards to your original query.

Without having the ability to search by wire "gauge" and mandrel/inner diameter, I think it would be advisable for you to make a chart of all the ring sizes you have available, and also any potential ones you could have, based on your suppliers' availability (if you buy rings) or your mandrel and wire size/metal type availability (if you make your own rings).

Put everything in a spreadsheet, and if you have calipers you can compile a list of what proper ARs you have at your disposal, based on measured inner diameters. If you don't have calipers, there is information out there about what your expected rings' inner diameters, and resultant ARs would be (which will vary based on the mandrel size used, taking into consideration springback, and ring cutting method. Refer to my ring list for starters.

Chainmailbasket.com (2019-01-01) - 376 + 79

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1