Permission
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 1

Permission
Posted on Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:34 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

Hope this is the correct place for this. If not, feel free to move it to the correct location.

In my Professional Speaking class this semester, we are required to give three speeches. The first is a Demonstration speech, wherein we are to present a skill (the example was cooking), and give a brief how-to (i.e., how to make bread or some such). I have, naturally, decided on a brief introduction on how to create chains and chainmaille.

In order to properly present it, and since I am still new at this, I thought it would be an excellent resource if I could use some images from this site to reinforce my topic selection. As such, I feel it is only prudent (and polite) to ask permission to use images before I begin building my presentation.

So, I am formally asking for permission to use images from the gallery. For those who give their approval, please respond here.

---John Priebe

Submissions: 24

Posted on Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:06 pm

You can use mine, I don't have much, but feel free to use them Smile

Got some larger SS and some anodized titanium, and a knife wrap.

http://mailleartisans.org/members/memberdisplay.php?key=11723#gal

Submissions: 4

Posted on Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:59 pm

It might be easier if you find some images you like and then just ask the person involved for their permission.

Posted on Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:09 pm

True, but this was a simple way of getting things started. I'm squeezing in all of this inbetween work and classes, so I figured I'd start here, and post specific images I'd like to use as I go along.

Submissions: 150

Posted on Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:46 am

NOPE. As all images remain property of the particular submitter, you need a specific permission by the rights owner, anyway, for every image or text excerpt taken here.

M.A.I.L. simply CANNOT give you a 'carte blanche' useage permission for a NOT purely personal use, as this site only serves as host that has been given the explicit permission of the uploader on every single submission, but has not become the rights owner by that.

If you had ever submitted something yourself to our library, you knew about. But if you scroll down this page down to the bottom, you can read it as well:
All web content © 2000-2012 The Maille Artisans International League (M.A.I.L.). Articles, Weaves, Links, and Gallery submissions are the property of the author(s), and any reproduction requires their express written permission.

So, if you want to use an image or article published by me, feel free to ask ME, and it's much likely that you'll get the permission - and I guess, that most publishers here would also consent - but there's no warranty for.

-ZiLi-

Maille Code V2.0 T7.1 R5.6 Ep Fper Mfe.s Ws$ Cpbsw$ G0.3-6.4 I1.0-30.0 N28.25 Pj Dacdejst Xagtw S08 Hi

Human societies are like chain mail.
A single link will be worth nothing.
A chain is of use, but will break at the weakest link.
A weak weave will have the need to replace weak links.
A strong weave will survive even with weak links included.
-'me

Submissions: 106

Re: Permission
Posted on Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:59 am

Solnoid wrote:
So, I am formally asking for permission to use images from the gallery. For those who give their approval, please respond here.

---John Priebe

Hi John. If you would like to use any of my images, let me know the specific ones you are interested in by PM. It is not only polite to ask to use other's images, it is the only legal way to use other's images.

If you do request to use any of mine, you will need to add a caption to the image that says ©Lorraine Menard. Used with permission. www.mailleartisans.org

This is not blanket permission for any use of my images. Only for the specific use you ask for. (In other words, you cannot use my images anywhere else without asking again.) It is also not permission to use anyone else's images. That permission, you must obtain from each submitter. I know it sounds like a lot of work, but it is respectful, ethical, and most importantly, the legal way to obtain permission. Most of the time, if you ask politely, people will say yes. But if they say no, that is their right and you should not hold it against them. Smile

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Submissions: 74

Posted on Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:50 pm

hey if all you stand to gain is a good grade fill your boots with any of my pics.

Submissions: 79

Posted on Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:21 pm

i request pictures of boots filled with pictures.

you have my permission to use any of my images for any off-line non-commercial use. meaning no one, including non-profits, can make any money off of them. no one may post them on the internet. I'd prefer a "Kim 'sakredchao' Chatfield - www.mailleartisans.org" text caption. i won't hunt you down and harass you for non-commercial academic pursuits.. if part of this project involves hosting the images online, the answer is no.

i have mostly art / sculpture posted... a few other things.

my suggestion is to pick a tutorial article you really like and ask the creator for permission to use their images.. it would help you get many of the how-to images you need.

iirc, you won't be able to just save the images.. you'll have to use a screen capture or request the images directly from the members.

PSA: remember to stretch.
3.o is fixing everything.

Submissions: 34

Posted on Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:32 am

I will echo sakredchao in that you can use my photos for off-line non-commercial use. If there isn't a caption John 'MusicMan' Bailey attached I wouldn't know, but it would be nice and your professor might give you kudos for actually going to the work of getting permission.

Once you stop learning, you stop living, so...
Ask questions.
Try new things.
Share what you know.

MailleCode V2.0 T5.3 R4.4 E0.0 Feur MFe.sBr Wg Cwb G.7-5.1 I3.1-11 N20.5 Pj Dcdjt Xa1w2 S08

Posted on Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:23 am

MusicMan wrote:
I will echo sakredchao in that you can use my photos for off-line non-commercial use. If there isn't a caption John 'MusicMan' Bailey attached I wouldn't know, but it would be nice and your professor might give you kudos for actually going to the work of getting permission.

as opposed to, perhaps, grading you down for not getting it.

Submissions: 74

Posted on Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:42 am

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7269/7561167800_803cef3222_m.jpg

Posted on Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:29 pm

djgm wrote:
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7269/7561167800_803cef3222_m.jpg

thank you. that was prompt delivery.

Posted on Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:08 pm

ZiLi wrote:
NOPE. As all images remain property of the particular submitter, you need a specific permission by the rights owner, anyway, for every image or text excerpt taken here.

M.A.I.L. simply CANNOT give you a 'carte blanche' useage permission for a NOT purely personal use, as this site only serves as host that has been given the explicit permission of the uploader on every single submission, but has not become the rights owner by that.

If you had ever submitted something yourself to our library, you knew about. But if you scroll down this page down to the bottom, you can read it as well:
All web content © 2000-2012 The Maille Artisans International League (M.A.I.L.). Articles, Weaves, Links, and Gallery submissions are the property of the author(s), and any reproduction requires their express written permission.

So, if you want to use an image or article published by me, feel free to ask ME, and it's much likely that you'll get the permission - and I guess, that most publishers here would also consent - but there's no warranty for.

-ZiLi-

I wasn't asking for a cart-blanche permission from the site itself. I was asking for permission from individuals who are willing to allow me to utilize some of their images from this site. All images would have their creators' imformation explicitely stated, and listed as used by permission.

I apologize if it came across as me asking for the site's permission, but I was actually trying to ask for individual owner's permission.

When I have the presentation portion complete, I will gladly post the presentation here (if anyone wants to see it), as well as a list of the individual images used with express permission.

And for anyone who is wondering (Chao, etc...), this class is offline, and will not be posted online unless properly protected (i.e., encrypted or passworded).

Submissions: 106

Posted on Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:59 pm

Solnoid, please read this in the spirit in which it is written. This is simply to clear up some misunderstandings that some people (not necessarily you) have about using other people's pictures. Especially because you are in school, this is important information for you to have.

Solnoid wrote:
When I have the presentation portion complete, I will gladly post the presentation here (if anyone wants to see it), as well as a list of the individual images used with express permission.

Posting it here would be republishing it online. While I personally have no problem with that (in fact, I think it would be an excellent article for MAIL) you have not been given permission to republish the pictures online.

Solnoid wrote:
And for anyone who is wondering (Chao, etc...), this class is offline, and will not be posted online unless properly protected (i.e., encrypted or passworded).

Again, that would be republishing it online, whether or not it is encrypted or password protected. If your teacher requires that your project be posted online, protected or not, you need to let us know that in advance.

When someone gives you permission to use a picture for a class project, that is the only thing you are being given permission to use it for. Being given permission to use a picture one time does not mean that you have permission from now on to republish it. You have to have permission each time unless the owner has specifically said, "do whatever you want to do with the picture as many times as you like".

As far as my pictures are concerned, you are welcome to use any you like as long as you tell me which ones, that you use them for teaching purposes only, that you caption them with Lorraine Menard www.mailleartisan.org, and that they not be published online unless you ask for and obtain permission first.

I like to keep track of where my pictures are used as much as I can. If I see that you, John Priebe, have used them in the way that I gave you permission, then I know you have done the right thing. When I see the picture somewhere else (which has happened many times with the person taking credit for my work), then I know I didn't give permission and can have it taken down. This helps protect me and my work and it protects you from being accused of copyright infringement, something that is extremely important in academia.

I wish you much success with your project (an A+ would be fine with me Razz) and continued success with all your future classes and projects. Smile

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Submissions: 11

Posted on Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:56 pm

lorraine wrote:

Solnoid wrote:

Again, that would be republishing it online, whether or not it is encrypted or password protected. If your teacher requires that your project be posted online, protected or not, you need to let us know that in advance.

I'm not sure that is correct, Lorraine. When I was taking my scientific illustration class, there were some portions of my professor's teaching material that were encrypted and password protected because of copyright. Now, it may be the case that that was a requirement of its being used as stated by the copyright holder...or that it would fall under fair educational use as long as steps were taken that ensured that it would only be disemminated (I know I spelled that wrong) amongst students in the class. I could ask my professor. We did a huge module about copyright law in that class and the conclusion I came to was that it was very murky at best.

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 2. Goto page 1, 2  Next