How to Anodize Aluminum at home
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Articles Discussion

Submissions: 22

Posted on Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:45 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

No idea about the smell.

I think your second biggest concern is to prevent the neighbours' cats from jumping into the batch.
Or to hide/dissolve the evidences.

Submissions: 20

Posted on Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:35 pm

[Health & Safety hat on]

It's not just the smell... You are working with noxious chemicals, please remember that this requires adequate ventilation.
An apartment likely does not provide this.

Useful Links
Site Help: [ BBCode Help | Weave AR/Ring Size Popup | Login Issues ]
Weave AR Search is back: Try it out!

Submissions: 106

Posted on Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:55 am

Daemon_Lotos wrote:
[Health & Safety hat on]

It's not just the smell... You are working with noxious chemicals, please remember that this requires adequate ventilation.
An apartment likely does not provide this.

AMEN!

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Submissions: 11

Posted on Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:57 pm

Though to be fair, Zxen said on a balcony or patio...which wouldn't be in the apartment. The need to watch out for flying cats would be more pertinent though. Razz

Submissions: 14

Posted on Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:09 pm

I appreciate the health and safety warning, and I am well aware that ventilation and chemical protection wear are needed as I deal with chemicals at work. As Jax has pointed out, I'd be doing this out on my balcony or down on the patio, I don't intend just yet to ruin the inside of my apt with the unintentional battery acid splatters that might come about. My concern is not just with my self but more so with those that do live around me. The acids and liquids can be contained to my area. The stink and fumes generated can not. Being a person that was not blessed with all 5 senses this is why i'm asking for help. My question is no different than a blind person asking what do you see, or a deaf person asking what do you hear? I'm looking for information so I can determine whether or not this is an avenue to pursue in order to get the end results I'm wanting. So for those that do, do home anodizing just how bad does the stink/fumes get? Is it something that can be smelt 10ft away? 20? 30? 50? 3 football fields away? On the nasty meter how bad does it get? mild like a piece of rotting fruit in the fridge? pile of dog poo? rotting corpse? Something thats gonna get the cops called on me cause I'm insulting everyone's olfactory senses? This is the only way I can gauge things like this I need the help of those that can relay me the info, cause noxious stuff doesn't bother me. Besides I'm gonna bet I'm probably not the only one in the boat with the same problem and wondering the same thing.

Oh and Jax, flying cats arn't a real problem for me. They tend to give my apt a wide berth seeing as I have an 80lb malamute that likes to lounge and sun himself out on the balcony. Very Happy

- Zxen

http://www.flickr.com/photos/crystalfyremaille/
http://www.crystalfyremaille.deviantart.com

Think outside the box, and be unorthodox...

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds --Albert Einstien

Submissions: 11

Posted on Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:30 pm

Zxentix wrote:

Oh and Jax, flying cats arn't a real problem for me. They tend to give my apt a wide berth seeing as I have an 80lb malamute that likes to lounge and sun himself out on the balcony. Very Happy

Awwww! I <3 Malamutes. Smile

Submissions: 3

Posted on Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:10 pm

honestly, this is something i would not attempt in an apartment complex, unless your setup is air tight, with proper exhaust and chemical filtration. the anodizing process atomizes the sulfuric acid. this will over time damage a residential building its self. atomized sulfuric acid is also highly combustible. more then likely, it is going to affect some one in the complex, or they will over react and believe you are running a meth lab, (dont laugh, this happened to me once) and local law enforcement could be involved, and the EPA. also speaking of the EPA it might not be a bad idea to contact them and see what your local regulations are, but at an apartment building i know they are going to say no.

but now to answer your question as to how bad dose it smell. well that varies on the amount of surface are of the parts you are anodizing and the current supplied, and volume of acid. but yes it would be easily smelt 50 ft away by the end of the anodizing cycle.

just my 2 cents.

Submissions: 20

Posted on Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:26 pm

Dravin wrote:
honestly, this is something i would not attempt in an apartment complex, unless your setup is air tight, with proper exhaust and chemical filtration. the anodizing process atomizes the sulfuric acid. this will over time damage a residential building its self. atomized sulfuric acid is also highly combustible. more then likely, it is going to affect some one in the complex, or they will over react and believe you are running a meth lab, (dont laugh, this happened to me once) and local law enforcement could be involved, and the EPA. also speaking of the EPA it might not be a bad idea to contact them and see what your local regulations are, but at an apartment building i know they are going to say no.

[Hat still on -- Zxentix, I'm not attacking you personally, please don't feel that way. I'm aware you are more curious about the smell than anything Smile I just feel the need to keep this warning big and current]

There's also the question of: "Do you know where all the air intakes for the neighbouring (and your) apartments are? Can you be 100% sure that fumes will not re-enter the building?"

I've been fighting the idea that "outside is adequate ventilation" for years... Not so much in the maille industry, but in my real life job.

Even taggers within the grafitti circuit advocate the use of respirators: http://www.graffiti.org/faq/masks.html

Mother earth cannot and will not protect you completely, every time.

Useful Links
Site Help: [ BBCode Help | Weave AR/Ring Size Popup | Login Issues ]
Weave AR Search is back: Try it out!

Submissions: 0

Posted on Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:01 am

Just joined M.A.I.L. Great post! I tried it one about 2 years ago and the dye didn't stay. Never thought of steaming them. Maybe now I'll give it another shot! Thanks.

Submissions: 1

Posted on Thu May 23, 2013 9:14 pm

Daemon_Lotos wrote:
lorraine wrote:
Daemon_Lotos wrote:
Just up to 120v Wink
There's no such thing as "Harmless" when it comes to running electricity through liquid Razz Bad lorraine!

Wait... the solution is just "Not TSP" and water... how is that not harmless?

Run some electricity through it and stick your hand in it... You tell me Wink

Was on painkillers anodizing and did it ... dropped a ring in the solution and submerged hand to pick it up still holding the anode ..... even though i was on 25V ... i felt it. Good thing i like blue color and not teal Smile

And i have encased all non submerged parts in shrinkage tubing.

BTW i swapped TSP for Natron (used in baking) and works as good as TSP and its not toxic at all.
BR
C

Submissions: 1

Posted on Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:29 am

As someone that's dealt with electricity in myriad forms for over 60 years, let me point out that it's not voltage that kills you, it's amperage. It takes only .1 amp; that's right, one tenth of one amp, to kill a human being. I work in a prison that is surrounded by a kill fence. It runs DC, or direct current, several thousand volts, and about 50 to 100 amps. DC is fun stuff. AC, alternating current, is what US house current is. It pulses, or alternates direction. That's why at 115 volts it will knock you off your feet.

DC isn't like that. It grabs you and holds on. Batteries are DC. Car batteries are DC. Battery chargers are DC. Just because they're only 6, 12, or 24 volt doesn't mean they're harmless. Like I said, it's not the voltage, it's the amperage that will kill you, and a battery charger is running relatively high amps to "push" the volts into the battery. That's why a battery charger works.

So be careful with the juice. Electricity and liquids are a potentially deadly combination. Just not for the reasons you thought.

All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Jump to:  
Page 2 of 2. Goto page Previous  1, 2