finger rings
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 0

finger rings
Posted on Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:44 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

just curious, has anyone compiled a list of what length=what size for finger rings?

Submissions: 20

Re: finger rings
Posted on Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:07 am

Damnation Angel wrote:
just curious, has anyone compiled a list of what length=what size for finger rings?

I just use a stick ring sizer to guesstimate.

Useful Links
Site Help: [ BBCode Help | Weave AR/Ring Size Popup | Login Issues ]
Weave AR Search is back: Try it out!

Submissions: 150

Posted on Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:11 am

Needed chain lengths for a given finger circumference isn't easy to determine, as a closed chain's raw length is NOT identical with the woven ring's inner circumference, and it depends on chain thickness and even the selected weave, how much effective shortening of the flat lying chain you'll get.

So my usual method is measuring a finger with a test ring set, and then use probing on a ring mandrel, until the desired size is fit there.

-ZiLi-

Maille Code V2.0 T7.1 R5.6 Ep Fper Mfe.s Ws$ Cpbsw$ G0.3-6.4 I1.0-30.0 N28.25 Pj Dacdejst Xagtw S08 Hi

Human societies are like chain mail.
A single link will be worth nothing.
A chain is of use, but will break at the weakest link.
A weak weave will have the need to replace weak links.
A strong weave will survive even with weak links included.
-'me

Posted on Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:24 pm

ZiLi wrote:
Needed chain lengths for a given finger circumference isn't easy to determine, as a closed chain's raw length is NOT identical with the woven ring's inner circumference, and it depends on chain thickness and even the selected weave, how much effective shortening of the flat lying chain you'll get.

So my usual method is measuring a finger with a test ring set, and then use probing on a ring mandrel, until the desired size is fit there.

-ZiLi-

pretty tough to do when the customer is in texas, and I'm in california

Posted on Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:44 pm

No, it isn't really difficult. Principally you need a scaled ring mandrel only - the customer needs to take his measurement locally where (s)he lives, e.g. at a local jeweller's shop that has a size measuring ring set available. So if the customer tells you, that a size #9 ring is needed, you simply make the ring, that it fits your ring mandrel at the #9 position.

What CAN be a bit difficult and sometimes even a bit misleading, is the fact that the measuring rings are comparably narrow (mostly not wider than 1/8" to 5/32"), while maille rings are usually wider. And another problem can be, that ring mandrels are conical, so they are a bit too wide at one edge of a wide ring, but a bit too narrow at the other side. And last but not least, maille rings are NOT stiff, so they're not forced by anything to be round. In the end only experience helps - best built by making some personal, own pieces first, to collect this experience. An own test ring set, besides the ring mandrel that is needed anyway, comes handy then..

BTW: printable ring sizing charts as free test ring set substitute exist, and principally work, but are a bit problematic in practical use, due to the ring width problem mentioned above. But selfmade makeshift ring mandrels (from rolled paper) can work really well.

-ZiLi-

Maille Code V2.0 T7.1 R5.6 Ep Fper Mfe.s Ws$ Cpbsw$ G0.3-6.4 I1.0-30.0 N28.25 Pj Dacdejst Xagtw S08 Hi

-'me

Posted on Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:12 pm

ZiLi wrote:
What CAN be a bit difficult and sometimes even a bit misleading, is the fact that the measuring rings are comparably narrow (mostly not wider than 1/8" to 5/32"), while maille rings are usually wider.

I usually step up a half size (or more) to compensate for this.
Knowing that, in general, where people are comfortable wearing a normal (thin) ring, is where they will want the centre of the (wider) maille band to sit.

Useful Links

Posted on Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:48 pm

ok, a simple yes or no was more than enough. if I HAD a measuring stick, well, I wouldnt have been asking this question, would I? compensating for the thickness of the rings is also a no brainer. thanks for the condescension though, it makes my day oh so much better

Posted on Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:02 pm

If you don't want to get answers, why do you ask in the first place, and then give a cynic reply? I told you, that there is the possibility to use makeshift ring mandrels, rolled from paper or thin card stock. How to get the measurements is your problem, that cannot be solved by me, who is surely some orders of magnitude farther away from your customer than you are. But even for that problem I gave you someme approaches. Isn't that a viable solution for you?

-ZiLi-

-'me

Submissions: 106

Posted on Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:35 pm

Damnation Angel wrote:
ok, a simple yes or no was more than enough. if I HAD a measuring stick, well, I wouldnt have been asking this question, would I? compensating for the thickness of the rings is also a no brainer. thanks for the condescension though, it makes my day oh so much better

You question is worded in such a way that we have no idea what your skill level is. Two people went out of their way to give you detailed and helpful answers and information. Your decision to take the kindness extended to you as condescending rests squarely on your shoulders.

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Posted on Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:49 pm

Damnation Angel wrote:

Whoah there pilgrim... Let's step back before we start taking this thread down a nasty road, shall we?

MAIL forums serve several purposes, not the least of which is obviously answering posters questions... And when I do, I try to be as thorough as possible.

They also serve as a knowledge base, as shown by the sheer number of times posts that have been mailing longer than me get dug up...

I'm sorry if you feel my 'no brainer' announcement of stepping up a half size was condescending... It wasn't aimed that way, it was meant to prevent future beginners reading this from producing dozens of poorly sized guessed rings ... Much like I did... So really, either I'm an idiot, or it's not that much of a no brainer... In fairness, both are possible.

I'm really not sure where all this hostility came from, I'm just going to hope you're having a bad day, and I'm an unwitting bystander.

I mean, lets face it, if I was the passive aggressive dick you seem to think I am, I would've just replied:
Daemon_Lotos wrote:
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=finger+ring+size+diameter+conversion

But that's callous... Even for me Coif LoL

Useful Links

Posted on Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:55 am

Daemon_Lotos, you might view that as callous, but thats pretty much what I did(different search terms, same result). I just thought I'd check on a maille forum before bothering with google on the off chance that someone had the info at hand.

Submissions: 6

Posted on Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:18 pm

Damnation Angel wrote:
ok, a simple yes or no was more than enough. if I HAD a measuring stick, well, I wouldnt have been asking this question, would I?

Here in Northern Cali, I was able to get a plastic ring measuring stick from the local Richards Crafts for less than $5. You might be able to get one cheap where you are.

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1