Question, Where do i buy wire from?
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Wire Arts

Submissions: 0

Question, Where do i buy wire from?
Posted on Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:46 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

Hello ^^;....I was wondering where i could buy wire from? i have been doing chain maille for around 3 months now and ive been buying things from http://theringlord.com and i was simply wondering is there a better place to buy wire from? i mean their prices arnt bad at all its just the insane shipping rates they charge.

Posted on Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:40 pm

I always recomend people to find a local supplier, not to say maille originated sources are bad but I prefer the face to face interaction. My main sources for wire is welding stores and industrial sources such as mainland tool supply. I also know walmart carries some nice 14 awg, if you dont mind putting your money in chinese hands(which I do, support your local economy).

Ive also heard places like sun tool rental carry stainless steel lashing wire, but I myself have never bought the wire from this source. My recomendation is to search your local retailers, and to not be affraid to look in places you dont think it will be. Hell mainland tool carries 15awg stainless steel lashing wire that I found completely by accident bumping into a shelf. I hope this has helped, happy mailling =)

Hex

Submissions: 106

Posted on Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:28 pm

What kind of wire are you buying and what are you buying it for? Sterling silver and gold-filled for wire wrapping? (I'm asking because you posted this in Wire Arts). Half-hard? Full soft? Or aluminum, stainless, other stuff for making rings? Are you making armor? Jewelry? Practicing? Knowing this would help us give you the best answers to your questions.

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Posted on Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:30 pm

Since this will be my first time i was planing on starting with a non-super valuable material. So anything light cost. And i would love to make some rings as well XD......And this will mainly be practice. Well until i feel confident enough to make a actual piece.

Submissions: 106

Posted on Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:06 am

truinsane wrote:
Since this will be my first time i was planing on starting with a non-super valuable material. So anything light cost. And i would love to make some rings as well XD......And this will mainly be practice. Well until i feel confident enough to make a actual piece.

Hmmm, okay. I'm still not sure if you are asking primarily about wire for wrapping or ring making for chainmaille. But here is my answer for both.

Wire working: It has been my experience that people are not willing to pay much for anything that isn't made with precious metals, namely sterling silver and gold-filled wire. And there is no substitute for how these metals feel to work with. You have to bite the bullet, jump in with both feet, and just start wrapping. Start slow, with small projects, and work your way up to the more complicated ones. You WILL make mistakes, but that's part of learning. (Keep all your "mistakes" and either reuse the wire, or sell it back to the place you bought it from.) The only way to get a feel for how to work with them... is to work with them. And you also have to get a feel for using soft and half-hard wire, because you will need both, and they behave in different ways. Aaaand, you also need to get comfortable with using round, square, and half-round wire. They are all used in wire wrapping. (Wire wrapping is NOT a cheap hobby. Razz ) Monsterslayer is a good place to buy (and sell back) sterling and gold-filled wire. You might be able to play around with some copper wire, to get a feel for sterling and gold-filled... but it's still just not the same. Monsterslayer sells that too.

Chainmaille rings: You have lots more options here. And much cheaper ones too. "Bright" aluminum (the alloys that have a shiny surface instead of "chainlink fence grey" are a good choice, as long as they are not too soft. Stainless steel is inexpensive, but much harder to work with and to cut. You could also try copper, bronze, and brass. Those are inexpensive and strong enough for rings. You can probably find some wire at your local hardware store or buy some welding wire locally. For some colorful wire, there is enameled copper. Parawire and Artistic Wire sell lots of colors. You can probably find some at your local craft store too, like Michael's. It's soft, and you can strip off the color if you are too hard on it though.

There are lots of threads in The Knitting Circle about wire. You should do a search in there. And there are also some articles in the library about wire. You should poke around in there too. Very Happy

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Posted on Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:09 am

wow thank you so much for all that information! ^^ i will definitely look into it. Just out of curiosity what metal do you recommend that is cheapest? (I am currently a high school student working a minimum wage job)

Posted on Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:34 am

The Ring Lord does charge what seems to be a very high shipping fee, but if you add into the equation the competitively low prices for their quality merchandise, it is probably still a very good deal. The other drawback is the wait time, if one is in a bit of a hurry.

I don't know if your 'cheapest metal' question refers to wire or rings, but... as per rings, I think BA, bright aluminum, may be cheapest and easy to work with, ideal for learning weaves. It looks good, the only issue is that it is quite lightweight, so it lacks that heavy and substantial feel people prefer in their jewellery. Still as prices of silver and gold climb (despite the recent drop) you may wish to research alternative metals. I like copper and brass; brass if well-polished will closely resemble gold, although of course the brass tarnishes---- something a quick rinse with lemon-juice cures, temporarily.

Posted on Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:15 pm

Rognvald wrote:
The Ring Lord does charge what seems to be a very high shipping fee, but if you add into the equation the competitively low prices for their quality merchandise, it is probably still a very good deal. The other drawback is the wait time, if one is in a bit of a hurry.

I don't know if your 'cheapest metal' question refers to wire or rings, but... as per rings, I think BA, bright aluminum, may be cheapest and easy to work with, ideal for learning weaves. It looks good, the only issue is that it is quite lightweight, so it lacks that heavy and substantial feel people prefer in their jewellery. Still as prices of silver and gold climb (despite the recent drop) you may wish to research alternative metals. I like copper and brass; brass if well-polished will closely resemble gold, although of course the brass tarnishes---- something a quick rinse with lemon-juice cures, temporarily.

I find that siliconized bronze sold at welding stores for filler, when shined well does closely resemble cheaper gold wire. It is fairly cheap as well, last time I purchased it it was in the $5 range for I think it was 10 sticks (each stick only being 3', and WD of .074") but it made some very nice jewelry that I was able to sell quickly.

But the question remains are you looking to do armor or jewelry maille? Or am I way off base and your looking to do wire art?

Hex

Re: Question, Where do i buy wire from?
Posted on Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:38 am

truinsane wrote:
Hello ^^;....I was wondering where i could buy wire from? i have been doing chain maille for around 3 months now and I've been buying things from http://theringlord.com and i was simply wondering is there a better place to buy wire from? i mean their prices arnt bad at all its just the insane shipping rates they charge.

Hello....I realize this thread is kinda old but I do alot of wire work and thought I would put my 2 cents in....

First I would purchase some inexpensive craft wire to practice on. I have silver filled and sterling that I use very sparingly and only if my clients ask for it. There is some decent non-tarnish copper and silver wire that is only about 6 bucks a spool and that should last a little while. They have gold plated wire too. I actually get mine from a vendor on Etsy who is very reasonable and good shipping costs. Her site is http://www.etsy.com/shop/ABeadConnection and I have been doing business with Debbie for about 6 months. Very fast shipper too. I would start with 18G, 20G and 22G...that is what I use mostly.

You can make your own rings from that wire too for practice if you read up on aspect ratio, otherwise I get my rings from a guy on eBay...very cheap and fast shipper too http://myworld.ebay.com/yizerenbox/
Start with aluminum rings until you are proficient in maille then you might invest in better material. But aluminum doesn't rust and is very light and strong. I hope this helps.

And hello community...yes I am new here Very Happy

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1