Anybody ever make a Cell Phone case out of Maille?
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 0

Anybody ever make a Cell Phone case out of Maille?
Posted on Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:47 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

As the title says....anybody ever do it? If so with what sized rings and with what weave. Im trying to get ideas for a second project I have in mind.....a sporan.

Thanks
Chris

Submissions: 266

Posted on Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:54 am

Some people have, years ago. IIRC, there was some discussion of how the chainmail interferes with the signal or something.

Tell a mailler what ring sizes to use and they'll weave for a day. Teach them AR and they'll weave forever.
Chainmailbasket.com (2013-11-23)
152 + 13

Posted on Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:04 am

I have never done it, but have used a pouch I made and put my phone in it.
I remember learning that aluminum blocks signal, though I don't know if it applies to steel or other metals, and I didn't really check for signal loss the two times I had done it.
But I would not use any aluminum for it if it were to be used like the leather cases.

As for ring size and weave, I would say it's hard to go wrong, as long as you can end it in a way similar to the shape of your phone and the rings aren't ridiculously huge, maybe something simple like euro 4-1, or jap 4-1, in ring sizes like 1/4" 16g, or 5/16" 14g and something like 3/16" 18g for the small rings in a Japanese weave

Submissions: 20

Posted on Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:09 pm

Chen wrote:
I have never done it, but have used a pouch I made and put my phone in it.
I remember learning that aluminum blocks signal, though I don't know if it applies to steel or other metals, and I didn't really check for signal loss the two times I had done it.
But I would not use any aluminum for it if it were to be used like the leather cases.

As for ring size and weave, I would say it's hard to go wrong, as long as you can end it in a way similar to the shape of your phone and the rings aren't ridiculously huge, maybe something simple like euro 4-1, or jap 4-1, in ring sizes like 1/4" 16g, or 5/16" 14g and something like 3/16" 18g for the small rings in a Japanese weave

Those rings are huge! Coif LoL
I'd recommend something more in 20 or 22g AWG or even smaller for a cellphone case!!

That being said, I think part of the discussion Dave is referring to is notabout Aluminium, or any other metal interfering with signal (as many cellphone cases themselves are made of one metal or another) but more the fact that maille itself can form a Faraday Cage, which would case heavy signal attenuation, or outright blockage.

Useful Links
Site Help: [ BBCode Help | Weave AR/Ring Size Popup | Login Issues ]
Weave AR Search is back: Try it out!

Submissions: 11

Posted on Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:36 pm

Hmm. Now my question is, why are you asking about a cell phone case if you intend to make a sporran? A bit of a size difference between the two...

That said, a sporran shouldn't be at all hard to make out of a simple euro 4 or 6-1. I've made several purses in my time that would be similar. I usually prefer to make them in E6 out of 16 SWG 5/16" ID rings.

Here's the first one I did that is out of 16 SWG 3/8" ID rings as an example:

Obviously you'd want your flap to be longer. Or if you wanted something with a more rounded shape, you could use one of the Japanese weaves and make it tight so that it would hold into the shape better. Lots of possibilities.

Oh, and don't forget your sporran chain...

Posted on Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:44 pm

well the cell case would be rigid for the front and back, just like the sporran is supposed to be. so it was more for the type of weave to use. I was thinking sheet Helm for the cell case, possibly out of Aluminum, or maybe Titanium (price dependant)

Jax25 I already have the standard chain till I can weave my own.....its part of my kilt outfit.

Chris

Submissions: 11

Posted on Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:18 am

Ah, I see. I wasn't visualizing either of them being rigid, to be honest. Except if you made it out of a Jap weave of course. Razz

Posted on Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:05 am

JAx what tartan is that, its similar to mine.

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1