How to make a maille ball?
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 0

How to make a maille ball?
Posted on Thu May 24, 2012 2:21 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

I want to make a ball/sphere shape out of maille, but I have no idea how to do it. Ideally I'd like it to be hollow, but if necessary I can stuff it with some spare rings - it's for part of my contest entry, so it's not really sculpture if it's got anything else inside it, in my opinion. And I need to be able to work out the finished size of it, too so I can adjust the scale of the rest of the piece to match.

I've seen the articles on making a sphere out of kingsmaille, which make sense to me, and that's how I was going to make mine, until I found out it needs an AR of 4.8. This is a problem because I don't make my own rings - I don't have the tools or patience, really, to make them - and the 2 suppliers I use don't have rings in the right colour and AR (not even in a close enough AR that I'd be happy to try it, unfortunately...) Helm spheres looked good, too, but again I can't get rings in the right size (I only looked for the biggest rings used in the tutorial, but neither supplier had any that big).

Can anybody suggest any other ways of making a ball? Or give me an idea of the size of some of the round weaves? (Like a Japanese ball, for example, or any others you know.)

Oh, in case it helps, these are the ARs I can get in the right colour from the suppliers I use:
3.0, 3.1, 3.4, 4.1, 4.2, 5.1, 5.2, 5.3, 5.4, 6.0, 6.3

Submissions: 100

Posted on Thu May 24, 2012 3:48 pm || Last edited by djgm on Thu May 24, 2012 6:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

Japanese 10 in 3 works in AR 5.4 nicely. if you are set on a kingsmaille ball I make these also out of AR 5.4.
[/img]

Submissions: 79

Posted on Thu May 24, 2012 4:35 pm

we have no rule against mixed media. you can stuff a ball if you need to. the simple/easy is to make a j5/j6 net. or a straight j5 net, if you need it a little smaller.... and stuff it with cloth.

if you are adamant on a pure maille hollow ball, look into the orbitals or captives. or, possibly fp6, if your rings are right. any rope (not sheet) weave where you can make a short segment that remains stiff will work.

take several of those segments and use them as the lines between vertices on any polyhedron.. choose your polyhedron based on how large the ball should be. dodecahedrons are easy, but they end up with points at the vertices. icosahedrons take more time, but the vertices are less noticeable.

PSA: remember to stretch.
3.o is fixing everything.

Posted on Thu May 24, 2012 5:05 pm

Japanese 10 in 3... that's a Japanese ball with the 'horizontal' rings tripled and the 'vertical' rings doubled, right? Do you know what sort of size ball that would make, relative to the ring size?

Yeah, I know there's no rule against mixed media, it's just how I'd prefer to make it. Thanks for the tip about the polyhedrons, too, I'll look into that.

Submissions: 106

Posted on Thu May 24, 2012 5:14 pm

Also, for some ideas you can click on the Main Menu at the top, then click on Library, then Gallery, then click on "ball" under the heading Accessories.
http://www.mailleartisans.org/gallery/gallerylist.php?tags=Ball

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Posted on Thu May 24, 2012 6:53 pm

ya tripled and doubled that's right. 5/16" ID will be a little under 2" across, 1/4" ID would be closer to an inch. It will have some play in a 5.4, I don't know if that's what you want.

Posted on Thu May 24, 2012 7:07 pm

lorraine wrote:
Also, for some ideas you can click on the Main Menu at the top, then click on Library, then Gallery, then click on "ball" under the heading Accessories.

i genuinely love how often you link to gallery tags. it's like you're janey maille seed.

Submissions: 106

Posted on Thu May 24, 2012 7:33 pm

sakredchao wrote:
lorraine wrote:

i genuinely love how often you link to gallery tags. it's like you're janey maille seed.

hee hee Wink

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Posted on Thu May 24, 2012 8:55 pm

Thanks for the link, Lorraine, I'll take a look at that.

And thanks for the size info, too, djgm. Hmm, some play could be useful to make it easier to close the last rings and to attach other parts to it, but then again I don't want it to be too loose... maybe 5.2 or 5.3 would be better, then, if they work...

Oh, and I've just seen that kingsmaille ball you put in an earlier post, not sure how I overlooked it before. Honestly, I only really knew about kingsmaille for making balls when I first posted this, that's why I mentioned it specifically. I don't really mind how I end up making this, so long as it's a ball shape. But it's good to know that it works with other ARs too, although I'm guessing that's only for really small balls? I expect larger balls in a larger AR would just collapse.

Posted on Thu May 24, 2012 9:14 pm

I think if you want it to be round as possible and connect to other things well Japanese balls are the way to go.

Posted on Thu May 24, 2012 9:32 pm

Ah, ok, thanks. Do you know if a Japanese 10 in 3 ball would work in a slightly smaller AR than 5.4? Like 5.1 to 5.3? 'Cause I think I want to have as little play as possible, really.

Posted on Thu May 24, 2012 11:59 pm

i disagree. i think a kingmaille ball can be rounder than a japanese ball, if the expansions and contractions are done right. that said, the japanese ball will be easier.

Posted on Fri May 25, 2012 12:26 am

How about:

18g 5/32 Stainless and brass.

Make saw cut rings: http://www.Ringinator.com/

Submissions: 20

Posted on Fri May 25, 2012 1:28 am

Martin wrote:
How about:

18g 5/32 Stainless and brass.

Oh come on, filled balls are cheating Razz

Tooting Lorraine's horn, because she didn't do it herself.
http://www.mailleartisans.org/gallery/gallerydisplay.php?key=6829

Posted on Fri May 25, 2012 1:31 am

That's awesome Martin.
European balls are smoother and in Martins example rounder but when you make them with only one pole they aren't as round as a Japanese one. then there is the issue of attaching it which is a lot easier to do with the Japanese.

I wouldn't go much tighter if at all with the 10 in 3. It is tight just not stiff in a 5.4

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 2. Goto page 1, 2  Next