Iron Cross
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Weaves Discussion

Submissions: 0

Iron Cross
Posted on Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:22 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

Hi there,

I need to make an Iron Cross (looks like a plus sign with flared out points) out of rings, and then incorporate it into a bracelet. I've tried multiple different weaves, and none seem to work, by themselves or combines with others.

Can anyone help me out here? I have no wire to use, just rings.

~Gin

Submissions: 79

Re: Iron Cross
Posted on Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:06 pm

GinOokami wrote:
Hi there,

I need to make an Iron Cross (looks like a plus sign with flared out points) out of rings, and then incorporate it into a bracelet. I've tried multiple different weaves, and none seem to work, by themselves or combines with others.

what size of rings do you have?

i have to admit that your task seems daunting. if you could make your own rings, the task would be easy.

PSA: remember to stretch.
3.o is fixing everything.

Submissions: 36

Posted on Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:09 am

Have you thought of just making an inlay in your bracelet of an iron cross? That would use just rings and you would just have to worry about a different ring color.

Once you stop learning, you stop living, so...
Ask questions.
Try new things.
Share what you know.

MailleCode V2.0 T5.3 R4.4 E0.0 Feur MFe.sBr Wg Cwb G.7-5.1 I3.1-11 N20.5 Pj Dcdjt Xa1w2 S08

Posted on Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:13 am

I agree, inlay would be easiest

Submissions: 286

Posted on Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:56 am

you would have to find a weave, with the rings you have, that is very tight - minimum ar. i once did a byzantine square with a cross in the middle. you could use that and take out the outer rings that make up the square, but you would still need 3 or 4 perfectly sized rings. i don't think anyone is that lucky, unless you have a good collection of various ar rings.

http://www.mailleartisans.org/gallery/gallerydisplay.php?key=6750

Re: Iron Cross
Posted on Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:39 pm

sakredchao wrote:
GinOokami wrote:
Hi there,

what size of rings do you have?

i have to admit that your task seems daunting. if you could make your own rings, the task would be easy.

I have a wide variety of different ring sizes, but nothing too small. The smallest rings I have are 18g 1/8 inch. I don't make my own rings, unfortunately, only because I lack the tools.

~Gin

Posted on Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:42 pm

MusicMan wrote:
Have you thought of just making an inlay in your bracelet of an iron cross? That would use just rings and you would just have to worry about a different ring color.

I have, but the only issue is that I have a limited space, since it's a bracelet. If it were wider, it would be no problem.

~Gin

Posted on Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:44 pm

mithrilweaver wrote:
you would have to find a weave, with the rings you have, that is very tight - minimum ar. i once did a byzantine square with a cross in the middle. you could use that and take out the outer rings that make up the square, but you would still need 3 or 4 perfectly sized rings. i don't think anyone is that lucky, unless you have a good collection of various ar rings.

http://www.mailleartisans.org/gallery/gallerydisplay.php?key=6750

That's a good idea, I'll give it a few more tries with that in mind. The shape of the Iron Cross is very odd, especially dealing with rings like this.

~Gin

Posted on Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:29 pm

can you make a tightish FP6? Full Persian 6 in 1

this is one of the common weaves used to make a christian style cross.. you could add some embellishment rings on the ends and hopefully end up with something close to what you are looking for.

Submissions: 150

Posted on Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:26 pm

Why embellishment rings added to a classical Full Persian Cross design? There should be (imho) no real problem, if rings of different sizes exist in the mailler's stock, to weave the 'horizontal' rings as graduation of rising ring sizes, without chosing larger 'vertical' rings (or with only slightly larger ones in the progression if needed), so the Iron Cross' taper is produced, without making the flared ends (much) thicker as the cross center. Please note that this is just an untested idea, but one that could work.

-ZiLi-

Maille Code V2.0 T7.1 R5.6 Ep Fper Mfe.s Ws$ Cpbsw$ G0.3-6.4 I1.0-30.0 N28.25 Pj Dacdejst Xagtw S08 Hi

Human societies are like chain mail.
A single link will be worth nothing.
A chain is of use, but will break at the weakest link.
A weak weave will have the need to replace weak links.
A strong weave will survive even with weak links included.
-'me

Submissions: 11

Posted on Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:08 am

GinOokami wrote:
MusicMan wrote:

I have, but the only issue is that I have a limited space, since it's a bracelet. If it were wider, it would be no problem.

Depending on how narrow your bracelet has to be, you could always make it in micro sizes.

Posted on Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:50 am

sakredchao wrote:
can you make a tightish FP6? Full Persian 6 in 1

this is one of the common weaves used to make a christian style cross.. you could add some embellishment rings on the ends and hopefully end up with something close to what you are looking for.

ZiLi wrote:
Why embellishment rings added to a classical Full Persian Cross design? There should be (imho) no real problem, if rings of different sizes exist in the mailler's stock, to weave the 'horizontal' rings as graduation of rising ring sizes, without chosing larger 'vertical' rings (or with only slightly larger ones in the progression if needed), so the Iron Cross' taper is produced, without making the flared ends (much) thicker as the cross center. Please note that this is just an untested idea, but one that could work.

-ZiLi-

So I looked over these two ideas again, and I came up with something slightly different, but still using the FP 6-1. Rather than being graduated,(since I think that there wouldn't be enough flare on the ends) I may be able to add horizontal bits in such a way that it would create a flare, but still remain bracelet-adaptable. I will post again once I have tried this.

~Gin

Posted on Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:52 am || Last edited by GinOokami on Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

Jax25 wrote:
GinOokami wrote:
MusicMan wrote:

Depending on how narrow your bracelet has to be, you could always make it in micro sizes.

I very well could, but the person I'm making it for thinks that too small of rings aren't manly enough >.> Heh, I'm a little more restricted here than I'd like.

~Gin

Posted on Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:52 am

i hope your post will contain images! i mean, after all this, i'd love to see what you end up with.

Posted on Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:39 pm

So, after a long night and some coffee, this is what I ended up with. If there were a way to only have one segment on top there per side instead of two per side, that would make it easier to fit into the bracelet. As of now, it measures a little over an inch wide, by the same amount tall(minus the larger ring on bottom). I used 18g 1/4 id rings here.

Also, if I were to do an inlay, this would be the sheet that I would use. I could add one more set of rings to the side of it, but that's as wide as it can go. These rings are 18g, 3/16 id.

Sorry the pics are so big >.<

~Gin

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 3. Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next