Byzantine Knot variation (kinda)
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Gallery Discussion

Submissions: 16

Byzantine Knot variation (kinda)
Posted on Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:38 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

After I forgot to post this for about... erm... three or four month ^^ I just wanted to show another way of making byzantine Knot - a really nice weave for bulky jewellry (and other stuff, made a wallet-chain out of 1,5mm stainless wire... man that thing would pull my pants down without my well trusted belt ^^).

Here is my pic of my new Necklace;

(I call this picture 'always clean, before you make some pics - or why you shouldn't keep your stuff at the dustiest place you could ever imagine')
Made out of 0,8mm Stainless Steel, 4mm ID (AR of 5). Took 5 days in the tumbler to get it that shiney.
The Clasp is a selfmade S-hook, 0,8mm Stainless Steel flattened.

The main difference is, that I left out the connecting rings between the byzantine knot units. Basicly, after you finish the first knot, just weave four double-rings at it and pull 'em back like in ZiLis brilliant tut. In my opinion, the weave looks more fluent, and not so much like single units put together. The best part; The ideal AR doesn't change.

Submissions: 106

Posted on Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:39 am

Very nice Kleriker! The picture almost looks like it's made of silver. I also like the hammered clasp. Did you make that yourself?

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Submissions: 150

Posted on Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:05 pm

Kleriker: That's a fine variant, that not even I thought about when writing my tutorial. But see that it's not 'my' weave - I just happened to be the first one to rebuild it, when it was submitted to the weave submission queue - and being at it anyway, I made a quickie-tutorial.

If you don't mind, I'd like to add that variant to the tutorial article, once article edit/submit is reopened.

-ZiLi-

Maille Code V2.0 T7.1 R5.6 Ep Fper Mfe.s Ws$ Cpbsw$ G0.3-6.4 I1.0-30.0 N28.25 Pj Dacdejst Xagtw S08 Hi

Human societies are like chain mail.
A single link will be worth nothing.
A chain is of use, but will break at the weakest link.
A weak weave will have the need to replace weak links.
A strong weave will survive even with weak links included.
-'me

Submissions: 16

Posted on Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:14 pm

@Lorraine
Yeah, I really like how it shines in sunlight, it gets a bit dark without it but still looks nice. I like this alloy, it is really strong, but it kills the blades of my saw really fast.
The Clasp is hammered myself, I only wanted to hammer the hook-part, but the clasp was so tiny and I'm not that skilled, so in the end, I just hammered all of it. Maybe thats because I have no special stuff for that (I use a normal hammer and an old plier as an anvil.... I kinda feel sad for the plier, because it was actually high quality, but lost their usefullness over the years [leftover from my grandfather and was one of the three ppliers I used to make my very first project]).

@ZiLi
I know that the weave is not yours, didn't want to give that impression, but your tutorial was a huge help, I couldn't have done that weave with only the picture/description.
And I don't mind you submitting this variation, in fact, I would really like that. Smile

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1