little big planet - maille tutorial in a video game
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Chat

Submissions: 79

little big planet - maille tutorial in a video game
Posted on Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:10 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

i know, it's for kids.

one of the aspects of LBP is a level creator and publisher.

when i looked last night, just under 800 little kids had played my level titled "making chainmail armor IRL" - "as seen on knights everywhere".

it's a pretty basic explanation of e4 and j2/j4 (very basic tutorials).. what tools are needed to wind and cut springs.. a little bit of history. lots of warnings for safety, and a plead for them to get their parents to use the internet to research it with them.

anyway, johnny maille ring is at it again.

PSA: remember to stretch.
3.o is fixing everything.

Submissions: 16

Re: little big planet - maille tutorial in a video game
Posted on Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:00 pm

I like this idea, but it is really that good? Kids are still growing and their bodies aren't as good as the ones of adults at handling the stress of mailling. Say what you want, even the best pliers are putting a lot of stress on your hands, if you mail long enough. (and I don't think there are a lot of child-specific pliers out there)
I don't want to say that Kids shouldn't maille, but they should only use soft metals and in best case, only do this for an hour a day.

I do this for almost 2 years and my hands still hurt (after 7-8 hours.... with crappy pliers... I think they hurt after 4, but I don't care much about it ^^ ... I'm a hypocrite).

And I say it again - because I like the way my keyboard makes the 'klickidyklack'-sound - I like your work and enthusiasm, I just don't like the Idea of kids mailling (and I don't trust that there are a lot of sites who give good advice to now-knowing parents about mailling for children.)

Suggestion; Give some infos yourself, like that they shouldn't do this for more then a hour or so and that they should use pliers that feel good in their hands, maybe even suggest some matierlas for them (aluminium, brass, silver, copper and so on).
Also, I like that you want them to search the web with their parents, not that the parents search without their children Smile. Excluding the child is never a good idea.

Posted on Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:41 pm

good ideas, i'll add them in.

i've taught kids between 6 and 12. they usually don't have the patience to sit down for longer than an hour, but i'll mention it..

mentioning stretches and other health information, such as plier ergonomics is also a good one.

thanks for the ideas!

i think that many of these kids are in the age range of 12-16... this is a ripe age for mailling.. we have a few 14 year old members here on MAIL.

Submissions: 11

Posted on Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:38 pm

I used to cross-stich for hours at a time when I was a kid. Then again, as everyone knows, I'm far from normal. Coif LoL

Submissions: 106

Posted on Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:43 am

I love the idea of exposing teens and pre-teens to making chainmaille! Yes, it probably should be supervised at first by an adult, just to make sure they are not doing something dangerous with the tools... but the more who know about it the better! Smile

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Posted on Sat Jun 09, 2012 5:19 am

i'm into the new level now.. should be up in a day or two.. any suggestions on how i can kill sackboy with mailling dangers?

i have pliers squishing, a repetitive stress injury machine, flying rings in the face and explosions from using the wrong size tools for your hands..

i also go into money vs material investment and time investment issues, although i haven't made these hazards deadly.

if you had to die making maille, how would you go?

Posted on Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:34 pm

Jax25 wrote:
I used to cross-stich for hours at a time when I was a kid. Then again, as everyone knows, I'm far from normal. Coif LoL

I do that as an adult - cross stiching rocks!
Never as a normal kid, either. Could do almost everything for hours, even the really boring stuff. But not homework. Never homework. Big no no no.

@sakredchao
glad to be of help Smile
Nice addition of the time vs. material discussion, something that isn't that clear to a lot of people (it is crazy how much I learned about economy and prieces because of mailling o.O).
As for your question; If I had to die while mailling, I would wanna die of exhaustion after finishing a really great piece. But I hope there is no 'best way to die while mailling' topic in the video?! Coif LoL

Submissions: 36

Posted on Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:33 pm

I like the idea...great job.

I have taught 8-12 year olds and the biggest problem that they have is matching up the two ends of the rings.

I can see rings exploding if they are not closed properly. Ring shrapnel now that is a way to die.

Once you stop learning, you stop living, so...
Ask questions.
Try new things.
Share what you know.

MailleCode V2.0 T5.3 R4.4 E0.0 Feur MFe.sBr Wg Cwb G.7-5.1 I3.1-11 N20.5 Pj Dcdjt Xa1w2 S08

Submissions: 10

Posted on Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:24 pm

sakredchao wrote:
...if you had to die making maille, how would you go?

Based on my personal maille-related injuries:
1. Slip-and-stab: needle-nose pliers straight into the chest
2. Slip-and-rip: catch pliers under the thumbnail of the opposite hand and tear it mostly out. This isn't really a good way to die; it's more a highly effective form of torture.

IGP (Irregular Grid Painter) Links:
Home | FAQ | Downloads

Posted on Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:52 pm

Zlosk wrote:
sakredchao wrote:

2. Slip-and-rip: catch pliers under the thumbnail of the opposite hand and tear it mostly out. This isn't really a good way to die; it's more a highly effective form of torture.

Point 2; Been there, done that (ok, it was more like 40%... almost the entire left half of my right thumbnail was tore out... reaaaally painfull, I had to stop mailling for almost two hours xD ... but seriously, don't do that!)

Submissions: 11

Posted on Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:06 pm

Zlosk wrote:

I've done this too when I was still using needle noses with stainless steel. Since I don't do that anymore, that's probably not how I'm going to die. I guess having my ring cutting setup go berserk and kill me somehow would be the most likely mailling death for me.

Posted on Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:24 am

Zlosk wrote:
sakredchao wrote:

luckily, i have only experienced #1 with only a small amount of blood.

i occasionally inject 22ga.. the wire will be flopping around softly and aimlessly.. i'm not paying attention. blood everywhere. i typically try not to mainline maille.

hmm, i think my level needs a buzzsaw cutting a coil.

Submissions: 106

Posted on Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:34 am

I gave myself a black-eye by smacking myself with my hand once after slipping off a stainless ring. That really hurt. I don't want to die... but if it's in my sleep while dreaming of mailling... that would be okay.

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Posted on Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:42 am

i can't count the number of times i've punched myself in the face while mailling.

Submissions: 150

Posted on Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:52 am

I must do something wrong. During four years (AKA my whole mailler's 'carreer') I stabbed myself precisely ONCE, when I used the wrong tool at the wrong time. SPOILER: Click link to see blood. Else I cut myself once a bit when shaving off calluses...

-ZiLi-

Maille Code V2.0 T7.1 R5.6 Ep Fper Mfe.s Ws$ Cpbsw$ G0.3-6.4 I1.0-30.0 N28.25 Pj Dacdejst Xagtw S08 Hi

Human societies are like chain mail.
A single link will be worth nothing.
A chain is of use, but will break at the weakest link.
A weak weave will have the need to replace weak links.
A strong weave will survive even with weak links included.
-'me

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 2. Goto page 1, 2  Next