Opinions needed
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Gallery Discussion

Submissions: 0

Opinions needed
Posted on Sat May 19, 2012 6:26 pm || Last edited by Piper on Sun May 20, 2012 12:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Link to Post: Link to Post

I'm very new to chain maille and as my main hobby is piping, maille is something I'd like to do while watching telly and just put my mind at ease to focus on something 'simple'. It also helps me to keep myself from picking up smoking again which has been nagging at me a lot lately.

I'm not experienced enough to come up with something brand new so I'm just working my way through several weaves as they're supposed to be made. The last one I learned is 'Helm's Deep' and I'm very fond of the look of it. I had made something that could be a bracelet but then found I didn't have the right size of clasp for it but suddenly got the idea of making it into a necklace. You know, one of those longer ones that hangs of nicely and has some random items hanging on the end. I've been looking for one I really like for quite a while now but since I can make one myself now, I had a try.

Now I'm not really pleased with the result. The weave itself is fine but the finishing touch seems to be missing. Perhaps I shouldn't have made the chain into one whole but left it open and attached the two ends at some point? Well, here's where I'd like your opinions, please.

I've used the Helm's chain weave on the necklace and the beginning of the weave to connect the scales. The main necklace is made in 16ga 3/8" and 16ga 1/4" AWG rings, the small bit with the 16ga 1/4" AWG rings and 1.2mm x 4.2mm rings.

Piper

Posted on Sun May 20, 2012 3:43 am

Nice work. It might help to hang the scales from, say, the last few rings, spreading them out a bit, but overlapping? You might find some arrangement that is more pleasing to you.

Also, the hanging part of the necklace is a part of the focal point, so it might work to make that the same size as the rest, rather than smaller.

Will look forward to seeing what you come up with!

Submissions: 106

Posted on Sun May 20, 2012 4:04 am

I like it, but I think Rognvald's suggestions are good too. Smile

It looks like the weave you have used is Helm Chain and not Helm's Deep Chain.

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Submissions: 3

Posted on Sun May 20, 2012 9:10 am

Your necklace is much more eye pleasing than my first one Laughing
It seems you already have an idea about how it could be changed to please you more, I'd say go for it. But be careful, sometimes opening and closing many times (in the design process) distorts the rings.

Only one word can make me angry, and trust me dear, you can't pronounce it.

Posted on Sun May 20, 2012 12:40 pm

lorraine wrote:
It looks like the weave you have used is Helm Chain and not Helm's Deep Chain.

You're absolutely right. Please excuse my mistake here.

Piper

Posted on Sun May 20, 2012 5:13 pm

Well, I've made changes to it and added two more shorter chains with three scales on each chain and put them on either side of the longer 'centerpiece' which looks better in my opinion. However, I put the whole construction around my neck again and decided that because of the size of the biggest rings used (16ga 3/16" AWG) I look like a big American rapper with all his gold around my neck. Since that's not really what I was looking for, I'm going to make it into a belt instead and brainstorm again about a suitable necklace, perhaps using smaller rings instead. I've got until September until I have to go to a wedding so hopefully plenty of time to make something. Laughing

Piper

Submissions: 106

Posted on Sun May 20, 2012 7:30 pm

Piper wrote:
Well, I've made changes to it and added two more shorter chains with three scales on each chain and put them on either side of the longer 'centerpiece' which looks better in my opinion. However, I put the whole construction around my neck again and decided that because of the size of the biggest rings used (16ga 3/16" AWG) I look like a big American rapper with all his gold around my neck. Since that's not really what I was looking for, I'm going to make it into a belt instead and brainstorm again about a suitable necklace, perhaps using smaller rings instead. I've got until September until I have to go to a wedding so hopefully plenty of time to make something. Laughing

Piper

Okay, that made me laugh out loud. Very Happy Very Happy

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Submissions: 16

Posted on Sun May 20, 2012 8:01 pm

Piper wrote:

Piper

I pity the fool who wears a necklace as a belt.

(Apologies to Mr. T - please don't hurt me)
(and of course I don't really man that as an insult Wink )

Submissions: 150

Posted on Sun May 20, 2012 9:08 pm

Well - Mr.T looks more like a guy who wears a dozen golden belts as necklaces - and NOT necklaces as belts...

-ZiLi-

Maille Code V2.0 T7.1 R5.6 Ep Fper Mfe.s Ws$ Cpbsw$ G0.3-6.4 I1.0-30.0 N28.25 Pj Dacdejst Xagtw S08 Hi

Human societies are like chain mail.
A single link will be worth nothing.
A chain is of use, but will break at the weakest link.
A weak weave will have the need to replace weak links.
A strong weave will survive even with weak links included.
-'me

Submissions: 11

Posted on Sun May 20, 2012 10:05 pm

Nightelf Mohawk!! Coif LoL Coif LoL

Submissions: 79

Posted on Mon May 21, 2012 2:24 am

rappers need more maille.

PSA: remember to stretch.
3.o is fixing everything.

Submissions: 11

Posted on Mon May 21, 2012 5:22 pm

sakredchao wrote:
rappers need more maille.

Yeah, over their mouths so that they STFU. Razz

Posted on Wed May 23, 2012 5:31 pm

I have no objections towards big bad ass rappers either but I don't need to look like one. Razz As it is, I like serious rap (not r'n'b dren) as well as metal... and folk... oh and a good pipe band of course. Very Happy

To stay on topic, it'll still be a belt and I may double it. Once I finish it, I'll show and tell. Promise!

Piper

Submissions: 6

Posted on Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:33 pm

Helm Chain also looks really nice twisted or braided. Here's a necklace I made forever ago (and sold, don't have it anymore) made from 22awg and 24awg:

Going back and remaking this design to be more intricate has been on my to-do list, there's really a lot you could do with woven strands of Helm Chain. Coif Smiley

-Deborah

Submissions: 63

Posted on Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:12 am

That's a nice looking piece, Femailler. I've seen a few braided/twisted pieces and this doesn't look overly heavy. (I guess 22G and 24G can't make anything look heavy...)

Kelly Clitheroe
Maille_Fantasy

Maille Fantasy
What we do in life echoes in eternity-Maximus Decimus Meridius (Gladiator 2000)

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 2. Goto page 1, 2  Next