Orcs, and Elves, and Not Tao, oh my! (pic heavy)
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Gallery Discussion

Submissions: 95

Orcs, and Elves, and Not Tao, oh my! (pic heavy)
Posted on Mon May 28, 2012 7:58 pm || Last edited by Nárrína on Wed May 30, 2012 3:14 pm; edited 2 times in total
Link to Post: Link to Post

....And Steampunk, and crystals, and bullets.....

Steampunk set with Half-Byzantine segments; copper, sterling silver, brass clock gears, and Quartz crystal points set in clock parts and in a Remington 22 caliber bullet casing.

Copper Not Tao 4 Chain and Ilkorin necklace, earring, bracelet set with Black Onyx, Hematite, and wire-wrapped raw Quartz crystals.

Copper Ilkorin Sheet bracelet.

Copper Orc Sheet bracelet.

Steampunk necklace with garnets, pocket watch/wrist watch parts, Barrel segments in square copper, and a couple tiny rubies in some of the pocket watch parts.

Insistence is futile.

We are the Quartz, lower your shovels and surrender your rocks. We will add your gemological and mineralogical distinctiveness to our own. You will adapt to service us. Resistance is rutile.

Deviant Art
Handmaden Designs LLC Facebook
Handmade Artists Shop
https://twitter.com/HandmadenDesign
http://pinterest.com/handmadendesign/
http://handmadendesigns.com

Submissions: 11

Posted on Mon May 28, 2012 9:38 pm

Well, technically they're shell casings, not bullets... Very Happy Very Happy But I love the pieces nonetheless. Smile

Posted on Mon May 28, 2012 11:21 pm

Jax25 wrote:
Well, technically they're shell casings, not bullets... Very Happy Very Happy But I love the pieces nonetheless. Smile

Lol. I know, and I did specify it was a bullet casing farther down in the
post.

Insistence is futile.

We are the Quartz, lower your shovels and surrender your rocks. We will add your gemological and mineralogical distinctiveness to our own. You will adapt to service us. Resistance is rutile.

Deviant Art
Handmade Artists Shop

Submissions: 106

Posted on Tue May 29, 2012 3:10 am

Things I LOVE: the Half-Byzantine segments earrings. They look primitive and pretty; the Telerin Sheet; and the Orc Weave Sheet. Very pretty Narrina!

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Submissions: 63

Posted on Tue May 29, 2012 11:50 am

I have seen some of your work posted on another forum and I admired it then. I love what you're doing with Steampunk. You are actually representing Victoriana styling with Medieval techniqes and combining it all with elements of science fiction and fantasy. It truly is lovely work and it's bringing chainmaille forward 4 centuries into the age of steam trains and machinery and then THROWING it forward another century and more to the present where it's fitting into modern fashion.

I have seen a few pieces of steampunk/maille (wizard maille) combinations, but none work as well as what you are displaying here. Adding a few watchparts DOES NOT make it steampunk! Steampunk is a style, not a cog.

I look forward to the next 'Oh MY' installment.

Kelly Clitheroe
Maille_Fantasy

Maille Fantasy
What we do in life echoes in eternity-Maximus Decimus Meridius (Gladiator 2000)

Posted on Tue May 29, 2012 2:19 pm || Last edited by Nárrína on Wed May 30, 2012 3:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

Thank you!

I know exactly what you mean, Maille_fantasy! I've seen those pieces also. Gears and cogs are simply some of the parts used in Steampunk, they are not the definition of what Steampunk is. There are historical presets to Steampunk that sometimes get overlooked because people are too busy playing around with the materials of Steampunk that they fail to pay attention to the style of Steampunk.

Lorraine, I will be adding both Ilkorin Sheet and Orc Sheet to the library once I've finished seeing to the current weave queue pile up. Smile

Insistence is futile.

Deviant Art
Handmade Artists Shop

Posted on Tue May 29, 2012 6:53 pm

Ah, now, you ladies seem to be buying into what I have lately termed the "glue a gear on it and call it Steampunk" bias. As a practicing Steampunk, I daresay that you can have a couple gears in your jewelry and still have it work. Heck, I use several pieces of strictly maille (no gears to be found) in my costume. It's all about what you can make work. Smile

Yours are still very lovely pieces though Narrina and definitely what I would call Steampunk. Very Happy

Submissions: 16

Posted on Tue May 29, 2012 7:02 pm

Jax25 wrote:
Ah, now, you ladies seem to be buying into what I have lately termed the "glue a gear on it and call it Steampunk" bias. As a practicing Steampunk, I daresay that you can have a couple gears in your jewelry and still have it work. Heck, I use several pieces of strictly maille (no gears to be found) in my costume. It's all about what you can make work. Smile

Yours are still very lovely pieces though Narrina and definitely what I would call Steampunk. Very Happy

My thinking, okay, I do not practice Steampunk, but I enjoy it ^^ And it is sad how often someone just glues a piece of an old watch to something and calls it steampunk.
[btw; Do you know any Steampunk Bands? I only know Abney Park and love it!]

I love the orcweave bracelet Smile and the wirework is amazing.

Posted on Tue May 29, 2012 7:12 pm

The funny thing about Steampunk bands....there are MANY bands who claim the moniker "Steampunk" and yet they all have vastly differing styles. Nobody can come to a consensus of what Steampunk music is....and perhaps that's a good thing. The community itself is pretty resistant to slapping labels on what Steampunk is other than it's an aesthetic based on Scifi with a Victorian/steam theme. Abney Park seems to be the only one that a lot of people know. I'm slowly getting more into the scene here in the East Coast US. The Absinthe Drinkers, Frenchy and the Punk, This Way to the Egress, The Men Who Will Not Be Blamed For Nothing, Sunday Driver, Beats Antique and Strange Artifact are all bands who have at least an association with Steampunk. There are lots and lots of independant bands out there claiming a connection. Heck, even one of my acquantence's bands, Platform One, claims to be "Steamgoth." (I tend to think their music is more goth/synthpop but who am I to label anyone else's music? It's damn fun to listen to no matter the label).

Posted on Tue May 29, 2012 7:39 pm

Thanks a lot Smile I hink it is good that there are a lot of styles that can be steampunk, in my Opinion Steampunk-Music is more about the Content of the Song (like Airship Pirate and Victorian Vigilante), I once heard a a capella Steampunk Song, but forgot the name of the Band.

Sadly, there is no Steampunk-Scene in Germany, not really. There are some events where you can see some Steampunk (like Conventions and Festivals) but they have to be pretty large and they are still only a few 'real' steampunk.

Posted on Tue May 29, 2012 7:54 pm

No problem. I found a German language band a while back that performed at one of our big Steampunk conventions over here but I cannot for the life of me remember what they were called. I think I have it written down at home so if I can remember to look for it, I'll post it here.

Oh wait, I think it was Angizia. I had kinda listened to some of their music and liked it and then promptly forgot about it again. Razz

Submissions: 3

Posted on Tue May 29, 2012 8:49 pm

So pretty, as always Narrina. I really love the casings.
Do you have a new camera or something? The crystals really show nicely. And I'm glad to see more Not Tao by you, seems you discovered something about that weave no one else had seen before.
Too bad the only casing I atm have is a 105mm Howitzer... It would make a hell of a necklace Laughing

Posted on Tue May 29, 2012 8:52 pm

Jax25 wrote:
No problem. I found a German language band a while back that performed at one of our big Steampunk conventions over here but I cannot for the life of me remember what they were called. I think I have it written down at home so if I can remember to look for it, I'll post it here.

Oh wait, I think it was Angizia. I had kinda listened to some of their music and liked it and then promptly forgot about it again. Razz

Well, there you have it, you spilled awesomeness all over my speaker ^^. It is a bit crazy crazy, but in a good way Smile (found a lot of their songs on youtube... funny how many comments are english, the german ones are actually a minority o.O). It's not steampunk, but I like it for the same reasons - interesting sounds and creative writing.

kaeru wrote:
So pretty, as always Narrina. I really love the casings.
Do you have a new camera or something? The crystals really show nicely. And I'm glad to see more Not Tao by you, seems you discovered something about that weave no one else had seen before.
Too bad the only casing I atm have is a 105mm Howitzer... It would make a hell of a necklace Laughing

Would make a nice vase ^^

Posted on Tue May 29, 2012 8:57 pm

Jax25 wrote:

Glue-a-gear-on-it-and-call-it-Steampunk pieces tend to bug me. What I was meaning was that gears and cogs can be used in Steampunk, but not everything that uses them is, necessarily, Steampunk. One of the neat things about Steampunk is that you can make just about anything work with it, but the materials are just part of the expression of it and not the definition of it and just about any material will work. Hopefully, that made sense.

Jax25 wrote:

Thank you!

Lol, this talk of Steampunk music has gotten "Airship Pirate" stuck in my head again.......

kaeru wrote:
Do you have a new camera or something?

Nope, still using the same camera I've always used. I do, however, think I need to start looking for a better one. I'm thinking about changing over from an Olympus to a Nikon.

Insistence is futile.

Deviant Art
Handmade Artists Shop

Posted on Tue May 29, 2012 9:07 pm

Nárrína wrote:
Glue-a-gear-on-it-and-call-it-Steampunk pieces tend to bug me. What I was meaning was that gears and cogs can be used in Steampunk, but not everything that uses them is, necessarily, Steampunk. One of the neat things about Steampunk is that you can make just about anything work with it, but the materials are just part of the expression of it and not the definition of it and just about any material will work. Hopefully, that made sense.

True...and I think I understand what you're talking about. Basically the things one would find on regretsy under the "not even remotely Steampunk" category, right? Still, I made a pair of earrings that are stainless steel and copper barrels with a small steel watch gear at the bottom that I consider Steampunk - or at least Steampunk inspired - that other people probably would scoff at as not being Steampunk because they're "just barrels with a gear at the bottom."

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 2. Goto page 1, 2  Next