Double turkish round
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Weaves Discussion

Submissions: 0

Double turkish round
Posted on Sun May 20, 2012 9:20 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

Hi everyone! I'm a total newbie when it comes to maille. I have been experimenting with some rings I got at a craft store. I have don't know much about the rings, just that they are made out of metal (duh) and have an outer diameter of 7mm.

So, yesterday I made a braclet in the turkis round weave, however, the rings I used had a too high AR. So, to get some stability into the braclet I used two rings where there is one ring in the original turkish round weave.

So what do I call this? Just Turkish round with double rings? I'd be totally greatful for any help in figuring this out Smile

[/code]

Posted on Sun May 20, 2012 9:55 pm

I think it would be called kinged turkish round ('kinged' meaning that all the rings are doubled), I don't know if there's a special name for it.

Posted on Sun May 20, 2012 10:23 pm

That sounds logical! Thanks for the reply Smile

Posted on Mon May 21, 2012 3:29 pm

No problem, glad I could help! Smile

Submissions: 11

Posted on Mon May 21, 2012 5:26 pm

Yeah, I would also say kinged turkish round. That's a really beautiful piece. I think I need to make some rings and try that in micromaille sizes. Looks like it would make a rockin' necklace. Smile

Posted on Mon May 21, 2012 7:37 pm

Jax25 wrote:
Yeah, I would also say kinged turkish round. That's a really beautiful piece. I think I need to make some rings and try that in micromaille sizes. Looks like it would make a rockin' necklace. Smile

Thank you Smile I'm going to make a necklace too, though it will probably look better if it was smaller. Mine is over 10mm across, it makes for some robust jewelry ^^;

I hope you manage to make a good ring size, I wish I knew the gauge of the wire my rings are made out of and the inner diameter. They didn't have that information at the craftstore Sad

Submissions: 20

Posted on Mon May 21, 2012 8:08 pm

Linika wrote:
Jax25 wrote:

Thank you Smile I'm going to make a necklace too, though it will probably look better if it was smaller. Mine is over 10mm across, it makes for some robust jewelry ^^;

I hope you manage to make a good ring size, I wish I knew the gauge of the wire my rings are made out of and the inner diameter. They didn't have that information at the craftstore Sad

Calipers Very Happy

Useful Links
Site Help: [ BBCode Help | Weave AR/Ring Size Popup | Login Issues ]
Weave AR Search is back: Try it out!

Submissions: 50

Posted on Mon May 21, 2012 10:15 pm

Well, technically speaking, it's only partially kinged Smile

And yeah, information provided on craft store rings is often somewhat lacking. Best bet is, as DL said, calipers. Alternatively, find some things you know the dimensions on and compare the rings to them. Not as accurate as calipers, though. In my opinion, calipers are definitely a worthwhile investment if you really plan on keeping at this.

Comprehensive Diameter Database: Web Page | Online Spreadsheet | About the database

"When you have bigger wire, you make bigger maille. It's neat like that." -Cynake, January 15, 2009

Posted on Tue May 22, 2012 12:03 am

It's only partially kinged? As far as I can see at a glance, all the rings have been doubled (not that I'm familiar with turkish round, so I could be wrong). Or is there something more to the definition of 'kinged' that I don't know? I've not been mailling long so I wouldn't be surprised if there is.

Posted on Tue May 22, 2012 9:39 am

calipers... had to google that! That is the problem of not having english as a first language. I think my dad might have one. I'll bring my rings to him Smile

What makes a weave kinged vs partially kinged?

And yes, all rings are doubled, though the ones in the narrower space likes to overlap so it looks like there are just two rings most of the time.

Submissions: 106

Posted on Tue May 22, 2012 4:47 pm

Kinged would mean that all of the rings in the weave were doubled. However, it looks like not all the connector rings between the cages of Turkish Round have not been doubled. Where the dots are, there should be 4 rings in each space. You appear to sometimes have 2, or 3, or 4.

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Submissions: 11

Posted on Tue May 22, 2012 5:38 pm

Linika wrote:

And yes, all rings are doubled, though the ones in the narrower space likes to overlap so it looks like there are just two rings most of the time.

OP says they're all doubled...so the number of connector rings we see (or don't see) are a perception based on how the bracelet is laying.

Posted on Tue May 22, 2012 5:39 pm

lorraine wrote:
Kinged would mean that all of the rings in the weave were doubled. However, it looks like not all the connector rings between the cages of Turkish Round have not been doubled. Where the dots are, there should be 4 rings in each space. You appear to sometimes have 2, or 3, or 4.

There are four rings at every point you have marked, however, they overlap. Most of the time it looks like there are two, but there are four, with two on top and two below Smile

Submissions: 150

Posted on Tue May 22, 2012 6:44 pm

A probable solution for the riddle could be, that the connectors ARE fully kinged, but not completely woven.

At least the blue encircled areas show regions, where it seems as the connectors were woven only like sketched in yellow line graphic, and not, as it should be in a fully kinged chain, like sketched green. A fully kinged TR connector must consist of six rings in total, as the unkinged one has three rings (red). This can happen, as a standard TR is also stable, if only two connector rings, in a 'V' arrangement are used.

-ZiLi-

Maille Code V2.0 T7.1 R5.6 Ep Fper Mfe.s Ws$ Cpbsw$ G0.3-6.4 I1.0-30.0 N28.25 Pj Dacdejst Xagtw S08 Hi

Human societies are like chain mail.
A single link will be worth nothing.
A chain is of use, but will break at the weakest link.
A weak weave will have the need to replace weak links.
A strong weave will survive even with weak links included.
-'me

Posted on Tue May 22, 2012 7:48 pm

ZiLi wrote:
A probable solution for the riddle could be, that the connectors ARE fully kinged, but not completely woven.

At least the blue encircled areas show regions, where it seems as the connectors were woven only like sketched in yellow line graphic, and not, as it should be in a fully kinged chain, like sketched green. A fully kinged TR connector must consist of six rings in total, as the unkinged one has three rings (red). This can happen, as a standard TR is also stable, if only two connector rings, in a 'V' arrangement are used.

-ZiLi-

I think I understand now Smile

However there are six rings in the marked connectors (I've double and tripple checked on the actual chain) and in a shape like the green graphic Smile
Apparently the bend and overlapping makes it unclear in the photo Sad

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 2. Goto page 1, 2  Next