Captive Zen Sheet Full
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Weaves Discussion

Submissions: 266

Captive Zen Sheet Full
Posted on Sat May 12, 2012 8:35 pm || Last edited by Chainmailbasket_com on Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Link to Post: Link to Post

Captive Zen Sheet Full

What I've made here is what I refer to as Captive Zen Sheet Full. It is a progression of Captive Zen Sheet (CZS), which is a progression of Captive Zen (CZ).

What separates this from CZS is the inclusion of the sets of vertical rings which separate CZ bands. The tutorial by Maxum X: Captive Zen (CGI) shows at the bottom this "Full" version.

I personally feel that this fuller version is more weavely, due to it's perfect symmetry, and not feeling as much like elements (units) connected together.

The minimum AR (assuming the same wire size is used for each ring) is 3.6, 4.9, 5.8. The sample displayed, however, uses 3.6, 5.0 and 5.8. I upped the middle ring size from the original sample I made because it was slightly too tight and would cause these rings to gap slightly from tension.

I originally had 3.6, 4.9, 5.8 listed as the minimum for CZS here on m.a.i.l., but that was before I came to the realization that what I have made varied from CZS from the addition of the extra set of verticals. Without those extra rings, the minimum AR would possibly be slightly different, as there are actually more than three different 'types' of rings in CZS.

At this ring size combination: WD: .062" (1.57mm / 16SWG), mandrels: 13/64" (5.16mm), 9/32" (7.14mm), 21/64" (8.33mm), the weave can be given a bit of a curve (not much!), but is still fairly inflexible. One could make a very large basket out of it. This piece, however, is currently, tentatively destined to become part of the Houses of the Holey (second floor, lest I don't change my mind).

So what do you guys think? Should this be added as a new weave, or just considered Captive Zen Sheet. I appended the word Full, for the entry on my website to differentiate it from BlueBuddha's original CZS.

Tell a mailler what ring sizes to use and they'll weave for a day. Teach them AR and they'll weave forever.
Chainmailbasket.com (2013-11-23)
152 + 13

Submissions: 50

Posted on Sun May 20, 2012 2:43 pm

Short answer:
Yes, new weave.

Long answer:
I would call it new weave because it demonstrates a weave created by adding rings to a base weave in which the added rings interact with the base weave in a manner different than any other ring in the base weave. Or, in other words, the rings you added do not join other rings in following the same connections (i.e. kinging, etc.). It's a minor change, relatively speaking, but it is a logical change. Possibly could tag it progression, but I don't think that's entirely in line with the way I perceive that term. Definitely would use the current tag variant on it, though.

Comprehensive Diameter Database: Web Page | Online Spreadsheet | About the database

"When you have bigger wire, you make bigger maille. It's neat like that." -Cynake, January 15, 2009

Submissions: 95

Posted on Mon May 21, 2012 5:32 pm

Looks like a perfectly acceptable weave variant to me, so feel free to submit it. Smile

Insistence is futile.

We are the Quartz, lower your shovels and surrender your rocks. We will add your gemological and mineralogical distinctiveness to our own. You will adapt to service us. Resistance is rutile.

Deviant Art
Handmaden Designs LLC Facebook
Handmade Artists Shop
https://twitter.com/HandmadenDesign
http://pinterest.com/handmadendesign/
http://handmadendesigns.com

Submissions: 79

Posted on Mon May 21, 2012 11:00 pm

i can't think of a higher authority to appeal to. Cutters Needlenose Pliers Needlenose Pliers

PSA: remember to stretch.
3.o is fixing everything.

Posted on Sat May 26, 2012 1:56 pm

Alright, it's in the library.
Captive Zen Sheet Full

Someone put what the ARs of the sample are for the ideal AR. I think they're too low to be considered 'ideal' for the tastes of most maillers, i.e. non-sculptors, so I removed it. I did however, put in what the minimum ARs are, which is not very much lower than this sample (4.9 middle ring instead of 5.0, as mentioned above).

A certain member of M.A.I.L. is making a looser version of this weave for a choker. The ARs they are using are closer to ideal. Hopefully this person submits a picture when they're finished making it. Smile

Tell a mailler what ring sizes to use and they'll weave for a day. Teach them AR and they'll weave forever.
152 + 13

Submissions: 106

Posted on Thu May 31, 2012 10:27 pm

Chainmailbasket_com wrote:
A certain member of M.A.I.L. is making a looser version of this weave for a choker. The ARs they are using are closer to ideal. Hopefully this person submits a picture when they're finished making it. Smile

Yeah... that's great David, no pressure or anything to finish this.... Razz

I love what I have so far. And it's tight enough to hold together nicely, but not so tight that you can't make a bracelet out of it. I'll post pictures and ring sizes once I finish... now that David has applied the unbearable pressure...

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Posted on Sat Jun 02, 2012 3:40 pm || Last edited by Chainmailbasket_com on Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

I didn't name any names. Coif Cool Smiley

152 + 13

Submissions: 106

Posted on Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:37 pm

Very Happy

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Submissions: 7

Posted on Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:40 pm

Its Dense Man.
Dense Zen Sheet Full.

*Edit
Rings used were measured 5.55, 5.18, 3.84 ARs
Or 1/4", 15/64", 11/64" mandrels for 18SWG aluminum, saw cut

while(!finished)
project.addRing();
// Maille Code V2.0 T6.2 R5.6 Eo.n Fper MFe.s Wsm Caws G0.8-1.6 I2.4-8.0 N22.20 Pn Dcdjs Xg39w1 S07

Submissions: 74

Posted on Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:57 am

looks good to me!

i'll have to add a note into the bottom of that tut about the size variation, sometimes CGI fails in real life, this is one example.

EDit: okay maby not 404 error in edit mode on that tut. ADMIN add a note for me please!

maille Code V2.0 T8.3 R6.4 Ep.f Fper Mfe.s Wsg$ Cpw$ G0.25-2.5 I0.5-30 N31.31 Pa Dacdjw Xa27g37w1 S94

Submissions: 20

Posted on Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:28 am

MaxumX wrote:
looks good to me!

i'll have to add a note into the bottom of that tut about the size variation, sometimes CGI fails in real life, this is one example.

EDit: okay maby not 404 error in edit mode on that tut. ADMIN add a note for me please!

http://www.mailleartisans.org/board/viewtopic.php?t=16856
Just a little while longer.

Useful Links
Site Help: [ BBCode Help | Weave AR/Ring Size Popup | Login Issues ]
Weave AR Search is back: Try it out!

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1