My First completed maille-work
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Gallery Discussion

Submissions: 0

My First completed maille-work
Posted on Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:18 am || Last edited by MC_KitFox on Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Link to Post: Link to Post

I'm new to the world of chainmaille and this is my first completed work.

Its Rondo a la Byzantine woven in 19g Bronze.
I had to reverse engineer the weave, I couldn't find a pattern or tutorial anywhere, but I managed to figure it out. Smile

Submissions: 74

Posted on Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:50 pm

nicely done. Is it becoming a basket?

Submissions: 150

Posted on Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:19 pm

@djgm: Haha - I was about to ask the same, as I saw no clasp, despite the piece looking roughly bracelet sized.

@Mc_Kitfox: Thats a fine looking, and ambitious piece for a beginner, and really well executed for a first-timer - you surely know yourself, where your technique can be enhanced (e.g. closings), but I'm confident, that you'll develop further, and show further fine pieces. But please tell us, what's the final purpose of that RondoByz piece.

BTW: Is it possible to resize the images to a max. width of 800 pixels (to avoid ugly scrollbars)?

-ZiLi-

Maille Code V2.0 T7.1 R5.6 Ep Fper Mfe.s Ws$ Cpbsw$ G0.3-6.4 I1.0-30.0 N28.25 Pj Dacdejst Xagtw S08 Hi

Human societies are like chain mail.
A single link will be worth nothing.
A chain is of use, but will break at the weakest link.
A weak weave will have the need to replace weak links.
A strong weave will survive even with weak links included.
-'me

Submissions: 106

Posted on Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:52 pm

I think you did a wonderful job! You made Rondo a little differently from the tutorial here Helm Chain + Variants (CGI) (scroll down), and the one on Phong's site here , by turning the Byzantine sections over. But I really love your design! I hope you will consider adding it to the Gallery. Very Happy

I'm also curious about the closure. Is it made to be like a bangle that you slide over your hand?

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Submissions: 95

Posted on Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:40 pm || Last edited by Nárrína on Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:02 pm; edited 1 time in total

Lovely work! Especially for a first piece. I believe there are instructions for making Rondo-a-la-Byzantine in Rebeca Mojica's book "Chained." It really is a lovely variation on Rondo.

Insistence is futile.

We are the Quartz, lower your shovels and surrender your rocks. We will add your gemological and mineralogical distinctiveness to our own. You will adapt to service us. Resistance is rutile.

Deviant Art
Handmaden Designs LLC Facebook
Handmade Artists Shop
https://twitter.com/HandmadenDesign
http://pinterest.com/handmadendesign/
http://handmadendesigns.com

Submissions: 106

Posted on Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:51 pm

Nárrína wrote:
Lovely work! Especially for a first piece. I believe there are instructions for making Rondo-a-la-Byzantine in Rebeca Mojica's book "Chained." It it really is a lovely variation on Rondo.

Ah, I didn't realize that Narrina. Thanks. Here's the page where it can be seen on BBB: http://www.bluebuddhaboutique.com/classes/view.php?id=rondo_byzantine

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Posted on Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:51 am

ZiLi wrote:

BTW: Is it possible to resize the images to a max. width of 800 pixels (to avoid ugly scrollbars)?

-ZiLi-

Sorry about that, I've resized the images.
lorraine wrote:

I'm also curious about the closure. Is it made to be like a bangle that you slide over your hand?

Yeah, it's supposed to be slid over the hand. Funfact: My fiancee, for whom this was made,asked that it be closed and tight, because she can dislocate her thumb.

Submissions: 150

Posted on Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:16 am

No need to be sorry about - never forget that EVERY mailler or forum poster was once a beginner...

-ZiLi-

Maille Code V2.0 T7.1 R5.6 Ep Fper Mfe.s Ws$ Cpbsw$ G0.3-6.4 I1.0-30.0 N28.25 Pj Dacdejst Xagtw S08 Hi

Human societies are like chain mail.
A single link will be worth nothing.
A chain is of use, but will break at the weakest link.
A weak weave will have the need to replace weak links.
A strong weave will survive even with weak links included.
-'me

Submissions: 74

Posted on Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:39 am

I bet she's really proud to wear it. It looks very elegant.

Submissions: 6

Posted on Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:18 am

Great job! You actually have a very marketable product there, if you want it to be. You'd have to make it in a non-copper metal, to avoid the whole skin-turning-green issue, but otherwise it definitely would have broad appeal.

One motivating way to look at making good closures, is not to think so much about how it looks better if the closure is good, but instead think about how it feels. Any less-than-perfect closure will cause some level of discomfort while being worn, as the butts of the rings can scratch against your skin, and the slight opening can snag clothing (same reason you push your prongs down all the way while stonesetting). I give my closures the 'thumb test' by just quickly running my thumb over it to see how it feels, and I periodically run my fingers over a finished section of chain to make sure it still feels smooth.

I will say, though, that the closure issues with the larger border rings are just from how the weave is being used; anytime the bracelet is stressed, that will happen, because the weave is weak in that direction.

All in all though, I've very impressed, especially for a first 'completed' project. Smile

-Deborah Wilson Taylor

Posted on Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:17 pm

nice piece of work!

keep mailling!

Get it Hot, hit it hard, thats how it has to be.
Be always ready, cause winter is coming, and with it, some things that were forgotten can come to live again!

Submissions: 1

Posted on Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:12 pm

Quite, quite nice! If this is your first, I can't wait to see your tenth! Very Happy

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1