Other hobbies?
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Chat

Submissions: 20

Posted on Sun Apr 08, 2012 4:39 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

sakredchao wrote:
Daemon_Lotos wrote:

I might be down for that... Haven't played in years... Used to DM a bit too...
AD&D 2E though Razz None of this d20 B.S.

this is shocking..

do you also advocate the use of dos 6.22?

Uhm, yes...
I also still drop to a command prompt when I need to get complicated things done fast.

sakredchao wrote:
you know what's nice? not having to memorize every table from the players handbook.

That's what a DM is for, LOL...
I guess it boils down to being most comfy with what you know...

Useful Links
Site Help: [ BBCode Help | Weave AR/Ring Size Popup | Login Issues ]
Weave AR Search is back: Try it out!

Submissions: 10

Posted on Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:43 am

Never actually tried AD&D actually, wouldn't say no to giving it a shot though. Personally, most of my experience has been DMing d20 games.

_________

Being from the third world, BMR claims the right to speak in the third person.

Submissions: 79

Posted on Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:15 am

Daemon_Lotos wrote:
That's what a DM is for, LOL...
I guess it boils down to being most comfy with what you know...

i grew up on 2nd edition. later, i played 3 and 3.5. i think the class system is better in 3+. i think AC is now more intuitive, instead of being a math examination. i know 2nd ed better, but i can say i enjoyed 3+ more. almost all of my books are 2nd ed.

PSA: remember to stretch.
3.o is fixing everything.

Submissions: 0

Posted on Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:22 pm

I've been two and a half years at nylon whipmaking. I'm working on my 31st whip now; a 4-foot, three-layer Snake whip. I'm using my own unique core and braided bolster for the design.

What can I say? I wanted one and couldn't pay for it. Same story as with maille. I'm sure many of us started that way.

"What a man can be, he must be." ~Abraham Maslow

Submissions: 2

Posted on Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:18 am

Hobbies... I play music, specifically string instrumemts. Guitar, bass, violin.. Used to skateboard, lost my board. Used to ride bikes. Bike got stolen. Been hanging out with the SCA when they do combat lately, thats cool. Would love to learn how to brew beer. Mm, beer... Also, yes, video games, and RP fall on the list.

But do we have to do D&D? Orcs and spells are so cliche. I really enjoyed Shadowrun (d6), the.star wars d20, and the Fallout pen and paper (d% & d10) is particularly awesome. Especially the first battle of Hoover Dam campaign we ran at my place once. Idk, fantasy was never my thing. Rocket launchers and lazor pistols? Thatd be sweet.

-The Mighty Ramtide

Submissions: 16

Posted on Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:51 pm

Ramtide wrote:
Hobbies... I play music, specifically string instrumemts. Guitar, bass, violin.. Used to skateboard, lost my board. Used to ride bikes. Bike got stolen. Been hanging out with the SCA when they do combat lately, thats cool. Would love to learn how to brew beer. Mm, beer... Also, yes, video games, and RP fall on the list.

But do we have to do D&D? Orcs and spells are so cliche. I really enjoyed Shadowrun (d6), the.star wars d20, and the Fallout pen and paper (d% & d10) is particularly awesome. Especially the first battle of Hoover Dam campaign we ran at my place once. Idk, fantasy was never my thing. Rocket launchers and lazor pistols? Thatd be sweet.

The Fallout Pen&Paper is awesome ^^ although we played it with slight differences (and cut out a lot of items that never showed up in Fallout 1-3+New Vegas).

Posted on Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:10 pm

Kleriker wrote:

The Fallout Pen&Paper is awesome ^^ although we played it with slight differences (and cut out a lot of items that never showed up in Fallout 1-3+New Vegas).

We did the same, and we added items that appeared in the video game but werent in the rulebook, too. Took a bit of.creativity, but nobody complained about them being unbalanced. Would you rather have the cave fungus or the strange meat? Yummy.

-The Mighty Ramtide

Posted on Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:51 pm

Ramtide wrote:
We did the same, and we added items that appeared in the video game but werent in the rulebook, too. Took a bit of.creativity, but nobody complained about them being unbalanced. Would you rather have the cave fungus or the strange meat? Yummy.

I go with option c; Brahmin fries Very Happy
We fixed the prices of some stuff a bit and I think some stuff had weight that didn't have any in the games (stimpaks for example). But I'm not that sure about the weight thing, would have to check the book again.
What bothered us most was the penaltys for shooting in the different light-settings. We didn't even try that and made it up on the run. At the end, we had basicly three settings. Sunny, dawn and night (or cave etc.) [torchlight etc. would fall under 'dawn'].
We didn't have balance problems, either. The party was more a problem, we had a few goody-good guys who we had to distract a few times to do the dirty business without loosing them.

My most liked Campaign borrowed a lot from the original Storyline for Fallout 2, our DM put a lot of work in it and it took us a long time to complete it.

Posted on Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:20 pm

Stims and drugs are weightless in the video games.

Yeah, at lower skill values its almost impossible to hit vs good cover or in poor light. We adjusted our.tables a lot too.

I jist dont know how you could play a.good character in an apocalyptic irradiated.wasteland. I played a drug.addicted ghoul named Patches who would kill anyone for a dose of psycho. This did not go over well when my party tried to buy things from merchants, and Id get.caught.stealing all the chems in the.shop. Amazing what people will do for a fix, lol.

I also liked hexes for mapping instead of quadrilateral mapping. AoE attacks just make so much more sense!

-The Mighty Ramtide

Posted on Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:19 pm

I played neither goood nor bad (and a Ghoul ^^). He was a good Doctor (in theory... man those dice hate me) but he was a loner for most of his (pretty long) life and does what need to be done. After all, you normally don't life long when you're a do-good. Especially if you are a Ghoul.
The good guys in our party where pretty naiv, too. I mean, they went out in the wastelands to experience adventures - how stupid is that?! So the characters actually worked with being good in the wastelands.

The idea of a drug-addict is really nice. Would have liked your character. But my Character wouldn't have liked him - big risk for the entire group. He would have killed him the first chance he got.

Posted on Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:03 am

Kleriker wrote:
Thr idea of a drug addict is really nice.

Even in context of this deeply RP tinged discussion, this seemed like a funny to me lol. Anyway..

Were your friends new to the idea of a tabletop rpg? That may account for a lack of familiarity with how to make interesting characters. Motives are critical for that.

And interesting even more is when.there is player on player combat. Arena battles are.the usual, but I think its great.when allignments dont... allign.

Always wanted to play a robot... Be made out of metal. And have a sawblade and a flamethrower for arms. No pun intended. Coif LoL

-The Mighty Ramtide

Posted on Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:08 pm

Now that I think of it, the player with good-characters where actually pretty new to it. But I'm happy with the way it turned out, the clash of good and bad characters made it interesting. Especially after they figured out to act while ignoring what things happened when their characters weren't around.
We never had a violence between players - although one of the players wanted to hurt my character... but hej, his char never figured out where his caps went ^^

Motives are something that often don't get the attention they deserve. Some times, player and even GM see the ongoing of the story as all the motivation that is needed - but characters don't get that. I had one especially bad GM (concerning motivation, he wasn't really bad, only with that) and he just wanted our characters to team up. No one knew the other, we were completely different and the woman who needed our help wasn't really nice to me.

Posted on Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:36 pm

I'm a torch hound. In other words, I'm a lampwork glass artist/glassblower. I love glass. Rings too, but I love glass.

I'm also no slouch in the kitchen with my specialty being gluten and dairy-free, but high protein. Love testing new recipes and making my own.

Last, but certainly not least, I'm a martial artist, Kempo Kung Fu and I'm on the traditional weapons team. My weapons are spear, broadsword, nunchucks, stick and the fan. I have a pair of sais too, just haven't bonded with them yet.

Hot torch, room full of glass, a few pounds of dark chocolate, and an understanding DH make my day. 2 sets of pliers and a pile of rings doesn't hurt either.

Posted on Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:24 pm

I crochet.

I'm also a gamer (both video games and tabletop games). We play D&D 3.5E and Pathfinder once a week each, so we get together to game twice a week.

Posted on Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:19 pm

I'm into a bit of everything. knit and crochet, quilting, reading and writing, personal servant to the kids, chauffeur, domestic goddess...lol

Jump to:  
Page 3 of 4. Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next