Mail Shirt Collar Question
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 0

Mail Shirt Collar Question
Posted on Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:12 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

Hey, I'm new here but I made my own shirt last year and I'm perfecting it now. What I want to know is if there's any way to make a shirt with a higher neckline since mine is fairly low because it has to fit over my head (any way other than making it lower in the back, of course). I know that a lot of the time people would wear a separate piece of armor to cover the neck, often as part of a coif. Is there any way to incorporate this into the shirt and still, you know, fit my head through the neckhole? Thanks, guys!

Posted on Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:38 am

I know Dr. T did a rather nice collar using quick release clasps

http://www.mailleartisans.org/gallery/gallerydisplay.php?key=4190

“What we call chaos is just patterns we haven't recognized. What we call random is just patterns we cant decipher. What we can't understand we call nonsense. What we can't read we call gibberish. There is no free will. There are no variables. There is only the inevitable.”
-Chuck Palahnuik

Posted on Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:55 am

I have yet to make my first shirt, but wonder if you might be able to make the neck-hole wider to fit your head through?

Submissions: 3

Posted on Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:20 am

You could do a slit down either the front or back, laced up with a leather strip.

Posted on Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:20 pm

Okay that shirt is glorious. What exactly are quick-release clasps I'd like to know, and how on earth did he do the sleeves? I haven't been able to figure out tapering sleeves since I started last year. They always end up just ugly and messy.

Submissions: 1

Posted on Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:23 am

Welcome and well come, Wooginator.

Try Sec. 3 here: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/trevor.barker/farisles/guilds/armour/mail.htm

Search this site: author Zlosk, keyword Contraction. He came up with a very tidy whole-row contraction using an array of graduated ring sizes, about four or five rings.

For your neckhole or a standing collar that fits up snug, a slit front and a thong tie works very well.

'The Minstrel Boy to the War is gone...'

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1