Hi, I am semi new and a question
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 0

Hi, I am semi new and a question
Posted on Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:45 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

I had an account on here with the same name but it poof'd after a few days for some reason, anyway....

I have been Chainmalling for... 3 weeks or so, almost a month, made many bracelets and a few necklaces in many weaves (will post pics later on perhaps when I get a working camera) , so far I have figured out 4-1, full and 3-1 persion, spiral, bezonite, dragon scale, kings scale, box and the like. Getting really good at closing the rings.

Chainmalle so far is very relaxing to me, it's a keeper

I want to make a bulk order this time around (just been doing little batches)

What are 4 all around good ring sizes for playing around with? They will be cheapie aluminum or something for a while still, I like playing around Smile

I seem to be doing mostly kings(the double ring look I like), 4-1, bezonite/box, dragon scale the most right now
Thinking about making a few pouches, necklaces, bracelets and other odd things.

-Brianna

Thank you

Submissions: 106

Re: Hi, I am semi new and a question
Posted on Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:47 pm

Guthrie wrote:
I had an account on here with the same name but it poof'd after a few days for some reason, anyway....

Is it this one? Spelled Guthee?

Quote:
I want to make a bulk order this time around (just been doing little batches)

What are 4 all around good ring sizes for playing around with? They will be cheapie aluminum or something for a while still, I like playing around Smile

I seem to be doing mostly kings(the double ring look I like), 4-1, bezonite/box, dragon scale the most right now
Thinking about making a few pouches, necklaces, bracelets and other odd things.

-Brianna

Thank you

Have you gone to the Beginner Basics page yet. That's a good place to start. Especially the article about Aspect Ratio (AR). Understanding AR will help you decide what ring sizes to buy for what weaves you want to do. Also, it always helps if we know where you plan to buy your rings. Suppliers have different ways of labeling their rings and use different measurement unit and gauge systems that can be very confusing at first.

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Posted on Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:57 pm

Might have been, tried both

I think I get AR mostly, I am using C&T for my rings

Posted on Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:00 pm

I use a lot of 18 gauge rings, and most often 3/16", usually bright aluminum or anodized aluminum; useful for Euro 4-1.

I like C & T by the way.

Posted on Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:09 pm

Rognvald wrote:
I use a lot of 18 gauge rings, and most often 3/16", usually bright aluminum or anodized aluminum; useful for Euro 4-1.

I like C & T by the way.

18awg or 18swg?

Lorraine's Chains

Posted on Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:35 pm

Rognvald wrote:

I like C & T by the way.

Thanks Smile
They are sorta local for me 3hrs or so away

Posted on Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:43 pm

I knew you'd have to go there, Lorraine, but I was referring to base metal aluminum, from C&T in particular, so 18 swg. I accept the generality that Base Metals use swg--- other than 20 and 22 gauge--- which, like Precious Metals use awg. This system works well for me, and is in line with how C & T sell their product.

Posted on Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:53 pm

Rognvald wrote:
I knew you'd have to go there, Lorraine, but I was referring to base metal aluminum, from C&T in particular, so 18 swg. I accept the generality that Base Metals use swg--- other than 20 and 22 gauge--- which, like Precious Metals use awg. This system works well for me, and is in line with how C & T sell their product.

Yeah, but I had to ask, since there was the possibility that Guthrie was getting rings from any of a number of places that use AWG sizes even for base metals. I don't think we are ever going to get rid of gauge numbers when talking about rings, so the best thing we can do is try to make sure to at least let people know which one we are referring to, especially newbies. Smile

Lorraine's Chains

Posted on Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:11 am

lorraine wrote:
Rognvald wrote:

Yeah, but I had to ask, since there was the possibility that Guthrie was getting rings from any of a number of places that use AWG sizes even for base metals. I don't think we are ever going to get rid of gauge numbers when talking about rings, so the best thing we can do is try to make sure to at least let people know which one we are referring to, especially newbies. Smile

I agree Smile

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1