Comments Feature
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> League Business

Submissions: 106

Posted on Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:30 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

Jax25 wrote:
lorraine wrote:
I'm normally weary of people being troublemakers, dramallamas, buttmunches, etc. Razz

Weary of them or wary? Wink Or weary AND wary? I must say though that dramallama is now going to become part of my vocabulary.

You know what? I almost looked it up to make sure I was using the right word, weary/wary... then I shrugged, said "meh" and hit submit. I'm getting lazy Razz

dramallaamdingdongapalooza!
Very Happy Very Happy

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Submissions: 0

Posted on Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:21 am

I'm just afraid DL may post a cute picture of Lorraine's "buttmuncher."

Submissions: 11

Posted on Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:44 pm

If I wasn't at work, I would totally look for/create a graphic for that. LOL!

Submissions: 16

Posted on Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:51 pm

Jax25 wrote:

You know, there is a time when you are not at work, sooooo...... Very Happy

Submissions: 79

Posted on Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:59 pm

at first i no'd.

lorraine wrote:
being able to post a link to a forum thread that maybe has a mini-tutorial in it, or some specific information that's helpful would be nice.

but, then i yes'd.

i would say implement this on a trial basis. after 6mo we can decide if the quality of the comments are worth the extra admin-time. we may decide that the comments in one area are more useful than comments in another area, in view of the admin-work it takes to sift them.

or.. who knows. i generally like the idea of being able to add information to weave entries. i wonder, will the gallery comments be mostly, "awesome hauberk!"..?

PSA: remember to stretch.
3.o is fixing everything.

Submissions: 106

Posted on Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:46 pm

sakredchao wrote:
or.. who knows. i generally like the idea of being able to add information to weave entries. i wonder, will the gallery comments be mostly, "awesome hauberk!"..?

Yeah, this is one of my initial concerns. I'm not fond of the idea of comments in the gallery. If someone welcomes comments, good or bad, then they usually post in Gallery Discussion in the forums. I would hate to see the gallery turn into a "OOH, I love that" festival or a bunch of mean comments that just need to be deleted. That wouldn't be very useful.

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Posted on Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:15 pm

Kleriker wrote:
Jax25 wrote:

You know, there is a time when you are not at work, sooooo...... Very Happy

Ah, but you see, the time when I'm not at work is very rare and usually filled with sleeping, so I don't usually have time for MAIL or making graphics either.

Submissions: 75

Posted on Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:15 pm

Would comments that are repeatedly downvoted eventually not be displayed, or just moved to the bottom of the list? I'd just as soon not have a train of "OMG, luv it!" and "LOL U SUCK"s at the end of the list, would rather they just not appear, preferably automatically rather than needing an admin's time.

Otherwise I like the idea. The quality of the content will be what we make it, as it is with every other part of the site.

-phong

-- CGMaille tutorials now hosted here at MAIL! --

Submissions: 69

Posted on Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:59 am

lorraine wrote:
sakredchao wrote:

Yeah, this is one of my initial concerns. I'm not fond of the idea of comments in the gallery. If someone welcomes comments, good or bad, then they usually post in Gallery Discussion in the forums. I would hate to see the gallery turn into a "OOH, I love that" festival or a bunch of mean comments that just need to be deleted. That wouldn't be very useful.

I think everyone on here is a member of enough 'other' forums to know that when people start commenting on photos it can and generally does go from "Oh WOW, great [insert item]" to a bunch of irrelevant comments eg Dramallama stuff. (I only used that as an example of how a thread might go to silliness before getting back on topic, if it ever does) I think making specific guidelines about what comments can be made or submitting them for approval, although making more work for admin is of more value.

I also think that the comment made above about trusting your members to keep it sensible is a little naive. In any group of people there are always the jokers, the pokers, the paraders and the degraders. The gallery has worked well in it's present format. If people want to comment they can in the chat dicussions/gallery discussions etc.

I don't get in here on my logon very often, and I do the same on other forums. What I see when the gallery is opened to comments is often lots of nice things posted, most of it is nice but non-informational. It is this lack of informational discussion and comment that makes this idea nonappealing to me. If comments could be restricted to technical questions and discussion then fine, but a whole bunch of "Oh Wows" or "Your closures suck man" is of no value to anyone.

Kelly Clitheroe
Maille_Fantasy

Maille Fantasy
What we do in life echoes in eternity-Maximus Decimus Meridius (Gladiator 2000)

Posted on Fri May 11, 2012 6:22 pm

the more i think about this, the more i like it, especially for weaves and articles.

if we need anything that would require regular admin approvals, i say we make use of the 'helper' status and bring in help from outside the BOD.

Posted on Fri May 11, 2012 6:41 pm

Am I the only person who doesn't mind the "Oh wow! That's so cool!" comments? It helps to have an ego boost now and again.

Submissions: 20

Posted on Fri May 11, 2012 6:47 pm

Jax25 wrote:
Am I the only person who doesn't mind the "Oh wow! That's so cool!" comments? It helps to have an ego boost now and again.

But where is the line?
I agree, and ego boost now and then is great Smile
But, for example, on the most viewed items on the site (200+ impressions a day on some things) do you want pages and pages of them?

Posted on Fri May 11, 2012 6:52 pm

we have a forum for ego stroking.. comments directly below something in our library should be educational comments.

Submissions: 149

Posted on Fri May 11, 2012 7:31 pm

I agree with chao - Comments should be INFORMATION ONLY, containing corections, alternatives, tips, further reference links and so, but not 'Ooohs and Aaahs'. So even the proposal to 'utilise' helpers, maybe recruited from the the ranks of forum mods that are already a bit trained, seems to be good - and can also lead to filling the admin ranks, if there gaps have to be filled. And principally this could be done for the whole library - gallery as well as weaves, and articles.

-ZiLi-

Maille Code V2.0 T7.1 R5.6 Ep Fper MAl Ws$ Cpbsw$ G0.3-6.4 I1.0-30.0 N28.25 Ps Dacdejst Xagtw S08 Hip

Human societies are like chain mail.
A single link will be worth nothing.
A chain is of use, but will break at the weakest link.
A weak weave will have the need to replace weak links.
A strong weave will survive even with weak links included.
-'me

Posted on Fri May 11, 2012 7:36 pm

it would be nice to be able to comment on gallery images if for no other reason than we have started using the gallery as a way to augment original submission weave images.

Jump to:  
Page 2 of 3. Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next