An introduction
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 0

An introduction
Posted on Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:05 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

I would like to introduce myself to this forum. My name is Howard and I've worked in the wire forming industry for over 30 years. I currently work for Clover Wire Forming Company, in Yonkers, NY.

I am a good source for information on steel, stainless steel, and various metal finishes. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions on those subjects.

Clover Wire only produces items to the customer's specifications and unless the quantities are quite large we will not be a competitive source. But if several mail producers make a cooperative buy we can be very competitive. I've worked out such a deal with some duck decoy carvers in Maryland--they saved a lot of money by odering 50,000 rings and dividing them up amongst themselves.

But I think my main contribution to these fora will be in the knowledge I bring to the table. So feel free to ask questions.

Regards,

Howard

P.S.: Mostly I use "Packard" as my on-line name so if I accidently use that name it's still me.

Submissions: 0

Digging in your brain . . .
Posted on Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:55 pm

Howard:

Perhaps I can draw out some of that knowledge you have to offer . . . I have recently begun to use Aluminum to make rings for chainmaille jewelry. I buy MIG welding wire on the spool to coil and cut myself. I use a jeweler's saw to cut it.

I would like to start using some steel as well. I see a number of different alloys of stainless, but do not know for sure which would be best. Do you have any suggestions? And what should I use to cut the rings? I'm assuming that the jeweler's saw will not be very efficient for the task.

Also, I recently came upon SuperArc L-56 MIG mild steel. It has a copper-ish tone to it. Might this be a good type of steel to use for chainmaille? Would it be workable, and would it retain its appearance?

Thank you!
Brian

Submissions: 5

Posted on Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:10 pm

I can chime in with what I know...

Stainless will require a more beefy cutting setup. Something like a Ringinator with a powered saw is your best bet. Otherwise, you will probably want to buy rings that are saw or machine cut. Cutting them with snips can work too, but it is tiring, may deform the rings a little, and are usually not as smooth as saw cut.

As for the mild steel wire, stay away. It will lose its copper color fairly quick and since it is mild steel, is prone to rust. It may work for certain tasks, but not for jewelry.

Also see Welding Wires for Maille

I come in pieces.

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1