submission guidelines in other languages
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Admin Discussion

Submissions: 36

submission guidelines in other languages
Posted on Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:45 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

I am wondering if we need to start posting the submission guidelines in other languages. We have enough non-native english speakers on the board it may help them to submit things. Nothing obtrusive just "click here for _______"

I am currently working with a russian member and while I don't have a russian keyboard to give direct transcriptions he was a little confused and we are working through things.

This may help them feel more comfortable in submitting and we could get a wider variety of things shown. Just a thought.

Once you stop learning, you stop living, so...
Ask questions.
Try new things.
Share what you know.

MailleCode V2.0 T5.3 R4.4 E0.0 Feur MFe.sBr Wg Cwb G.7-5.1 I3.1-11 N20.5 Pj Dcdjt Xa1w2 S08

Submissions: 106

Posted on Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:38 pm

As long as we are certain that the translation says what the English version says, I'm all for it. But, as anyone who has ever tried to use a translation website has found, a direct translation frequently leads to a word for word translation that sounds like childish gibberish to a native speaker.

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Posted on Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:07 pm

Yes, you nailed the problem on the head. We would need people to volunteer that knew the language to either do the translating or read it through. It was just a thought I had...

Ask questions.
Try new things.
Share what you know.

MailleCode V2.0 T5.3 R4.4 E0.0 Feur MFe.sBr Wg Cwb G.7-5.1 I3.1-11 N20.5 Pj Dcdjt Xa1w2 S08

Submissions: 150

Posted on Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:30 pm

Having just read the guidelines again, and translating them into German in mind, I may note, that they need a slight revision. Especially the Gallery section is in need for, as there are e.g. some admin's names to be replaced, and there's no mentioning of the title capitalizing rule, or grammar at all - and it refers to the old Gallery organization structure with submitter-selectable categories.

So before I write a German translation (I'd be willing to do that part of the task, if we decide for publishing the guidelines in multiple languages), I'd like to see an approved, updated English language guide, as base document.

-ZiLi-

Maille Code V2.0 T7.1 R5.6 Ep Fper Mfe.s Ws$ Cpbsw$ G0.3-6.4 I1.0-30.0 N28.25 Pj Dacdejst Xagtw S08 Hi

Human societies are like chain mail.
A single link will be worth nothing.
A chain is of use, but will break at the weakest link.
A weak weave will have the need to replace weak links.
A strong weave will survive even with weak links included.
-'me

Posted on Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:23 pm

ZiLi I agree it does need updating. What I might recommend if we want to update the document is create 2 seperate documents. 1) Guidelines for submissions with example 2) FAQ sheet.

This might make the guidelines sheet shorter and more easily read. WE might than not have to track people down so often to get forgotten information.
-------------------------------
For example it could look something like this:
1) Title - Capitalize title and make it as descriptive as possible
2) Picture - 100k or smaller and 800pix max on a side
- submit JPG only
- If the picture is blurry or to small an administrator may contact you for a better picture.
3) Description - make as detailed as possible
Include:
- ID (Inner Diameter) of ring measurements
- WD (Wire Diameter) measurements
- weaves used
- What the item is
- material used
- anything special

Example shown below:
Title - Wolverine Necklace
Picture - stock picture
Description - Made this necklace using the Byzantine weave and 1.2mm adamantium wire, 4.5mm ring ID. I made this wire personally from the melted down skeleton of Wolverine from the X-men. The beads are made from some teeth I found in the area.

---------------------------

This would make it easier to read/translate the information and gives exactly what we are looking for. A FAQ page could than address those issues on a separate page or further down, separate from the guidelines

Ask questions.
Try new things.
Share what you know.

Posted on Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:18 pm || Last edited by lorraine on Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

I don't understand Zili. There are no names in the guidelines. And it specifically says:

"Please make your best effort to follow basic spelling, punctuation, capitalization, and grammar in your submission title and description."

http://www.mailleartisans.org/board/viewtopic.php?t=15079

Lorraine's Chains

Posted on Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:21 pm

MM, while I understand that the guidelines page is long, all of that information is necessary. I would like to keep it all on one page instead of requiring people to hop around from one page to another.

Lorraine's Chains

Posted on Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:25 pm

lorraine wrote:
MM, while I understand that the guidelines page is long, all of that information is necessary. I would like to keep it all on one page instead of requiring people to hop around from one page to another.

Understandable, could we break up the page guidelines above FAQ below? Than people do not have to read so much to find out what they need to do to submit and than below it can answer all the questions.

Just a thought...

Ask questions.
Try new things.
Share what you know.

Posted on Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:30 pm

lorraine wrote:
I don't understand Zili. There are no names in the guidelines. And it specifically says:

"Please make your best effort to follow basic spelling, punctuation, capitalization, and grammar in your submission title and description."

Hmm. then the following link (to http://www.mailleartisans.org/submit/subguide.cgi) should be updated:
Test yourself, going via dropdown menu Library - Submit to M.A.I.L. - Submission Guidelines...

-ZiLi-

Maille Code V2.0 T7.1 R5.6 Ep Fper Mfe.s Ws$ Cpbsw$ G0.3-6.4 I1.0-30.0 N28.25 Pj Dacdejst Xagtw S08 Hi

-'me

Posted on Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:55 am

Zili, what points to that? The Guidelines in the Gallery forum point here:

The guidelines when you click on "Submit an image" point here:
http://www.mailleartisans.org/gallery/gallerysubmit.php

The link to "Submission Guidelines" points here:

That's an old page that still exists on MAILS site, but nothing points to it, so it does not need to be updated.

Lorraine's Chains

Posted on Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:18 am

Sorry if I need to contradict you. But you see yourself, that at least one possibility exists, to reach that outdated one. And if you re-read my previous post: I wrote about updating the link, that would be used by someone, that had never before submitted anything to MAIL, and in search for info, before submitting.

About possible re-work of CURRENT guidelines: I'll have also a look into these, and surely will find something . Very Happy For example I would replace 'gauge of wire' by 'wire diameter, metric or inch data preferred' - or something similar, showing the emphasis to get unmistakeable ring data.

-ZiLi-

-'me

Submissions: 266

Posted on Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:53 am

I agree with ZiLi about not calling it the wire "gauge" you used. Gauge is a dirty word whose use in chainmail should be limited to newbies, only until they learn the proper ways of wire sizing.

That Submissions Guidelines page that ZiLi mentioned is the first thing I found after this thread was opened (before he posted) and I went to have a look. Then I saw the retired admin names at the bottom.

Library->Submit to M.A.I.L.->Submission Guidelines.

Tell a mailler what ring sizes to use and they'll weave for a day. Teach them AR and they'll weave forever.
Chainmailbasket.com (2013-11-23)
152 + 13

Submissions: 20

Posted on Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:30 pm

Chainmailbasket_com wrote:
I agree with ZiLi about not calling it the wire "gauge" you used. Gauge is a dirty word whose use in chainmail should be limited to newbies, only until they learn the proper ways of wire sizing.

Says YOU Razz
I still refer to wire as Gauge, I just specify which system, and check nominal..

Useful Links
Site Help: [ BBCode Help | Weave AR/Ring Size Popup | Login Issues ]
Weave AR Search is back: Try it out!

Posted on Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:39 pm

DL: These are guidelines for people who want to submit items to our library - if your teacher taught you bad manners, you should maybe blame him for. If I want to reference a diameter, I call it a diameter. Gauges are devices for simplified determining, whether a to be measured item fits into a measurement limit or range. Not more not less.

-ZiLi-

-'me

Submissions: 20

Posted on Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:00 pm

ZiLi wrote:
DL: These are guidelines for people who want to submit items to our library - if your teacher taught you bad manners, you should maybe blame him for. If I want to reference a diameter, I call it a diameter. Gauges are devices for simplified determining, whether a to be measured item fits into a measurement limit or range. Not more not less.

-ZiLi-

Agreed.
However, unless doing sculpture, or JPL, maille generally is a "close enough" artform... The key word being ART...

I don't think that imposing ridiculously stifiling limitations and forcing absolute precision helps anyones cause.

Useful Links
Site Help: [ BBCode Help | Weave AR/Ring Size Popup | Login Issues ]
Weave AR Search is back: Try it out!

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 2. Goto page 1, 2  Next