complicated weaves
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Weaves Discussion

Submissions: 0

complicated weaves
Posted on Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:00 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

what is a crazy complex dense uber weave you know of? i know one i found on CGmaille.com called Tiffany that is far too dense for anybody's personal safety and could likely stop a .45. okay mabie not a .45, but you get the point. and now layering 4-1 or other weaves endlessly into a board.

sounds tasty

Submissions: 106

Posted on Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:37 am

Tiffany is dense... but there is no maille that will stop a bullet. There is a reason maille is not used to stop bullets. And the reason is because it doesn't.

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Submissions: 16

Posted on Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:22 am

lorraine wrote:
Tiffany is dense... but there is no maille that will stop a bullet. There is a reason maille is not used to stop bullets. And the reason is because it doesn't.

Agreed. There are materials that can stop bullets, but there is no weave that is bulletproof on it's own (always remember, normal chainmaile can not even stop a bolt of a crossbow, most likly not even an arrow of a bow).

As for your search, tiffany would be my suggestion, too. But all weaves can be made really dense, the nearer you make it to it's minimum-AR, the denser the weave in the end.

Submissions: 84

Posted on Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:40 pm

I know we get this alot and "Maille is not bullet proof!!!" but if I was taking a bullet wearing maille I'd feel pretty safe in a vest of AR 4.8 Tiffany. It does put me off though when people want to proof test maille. I think we should take a page from sk8rs that don't ride in the rain and wright an article titled
Maille Abuse!!! Confused It could have before and after pics. This is your maille, This your maille f$%ked up.

Submissions: 20

Posted on Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:52 am

djgm wrote:
I know we get this alot and "Maille is not bullet proof!!!" but if I was taking a bullet wearing maille I'd feel pretty safe in a vest of AR 4.8 Tiffany.

Right up until you spent hours in surgery having bullet fragment AND ring fragments removed from your skin...

Useful Links
Site Help: [ BBCode Help | Weave AR/Ring Size Popup | Login Issues ]
Weave AR Search is back: Try it out!

Submissions: 16

Posted on Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:09 am

There was a testing once and yes, with a good wie diameter, titanium and strong weave at small AR it can be possible, but it should never be tried. Wear kevlar if you need this kind of protection, but never ever ever wear something 'because it feels safe'. DL is right, you just end up with a bullethole and ringfragments in your body - in the end it could be a ringfragment that kills you.

Plus; don't shot at yourself o.O (just wanted to say that ^^)

Posted on Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:28 am

i was never going to make a bulletproof maille vest, i just wanted a ludicrous weave to show my friend who has been mailing for about 10 months and think he can do every weave ever. by the way, is a jens pind linkage (JPL) sheet possible? if the AR is high enough, you could link the chains together, right?

sounds tasty

Submissions: 150

Posted on Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:46 am

As a 'Shaggy Pind' is possible, bolting JPLs side-by side should be possible as well. As already figured by you, it's all a matter of AR selection.

About 'bulletproof': It's already a tradition on MAIL, that in case a new member asks about maille, and tells about any ammo (you used .45) or other projectile weapons in the question, even loosely related, that a discussion about bulletproof armor begins - with always the same outcome.

If the question tells about sturdiest possible maille armor, let me refer to the history of maille. The history tells, that at least in Europe armorers found European 4in1 very soon, and used this weave over and over again (the Japanese had a large portfolio of armor weaves, but even they switched over to Euro 4in1, once they saw that weave). Fact is and remains, that E41 has the best weight to strength ratio - never beaten by any other weave. And there's a cause, why maille was replaced by plate armor somewhen, as there's a cause, why plate body armor was abandoned somewhen, to be replaced by multilayer fiber armor and armored vehicles. There's always a cause for changes, but also for retaining of patterns...

-ZiLi-

Maille Code V2.0 T7.1 R5.6 Ep Fper Mfe.s Ws$ Cpbsw$ G0.3-6.4 I1.0-30.0 N28.25 Pj Dacdejst Xagtw S08 Hi

Human societies are like chain mail.
A single link will be worth nothing.
A chain is of use, but will break at the weakest link.
A weak weave will have the need to replace weak links.
A strong weave will survive even with weak links included.
-'me

Posted on Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:06 am

It's not unlikely your friend can do any weave in the library. After all someone had to do it to put it in.

Submissions: 11

Posted on Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:18 pm

djgm wrote:
It's not unlikely your friend can do any weave in the library. After all someone had to do it to put it in.

This. Especially if there is a tutorial for making it (as there is with Tiffany).

Posted on Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:20 pm

Working form a tutorial I can do any weave....
I acutaly only have done about 25-50... some are just short concept pieces others are measured in miles of wire used.

I probibly would have a better idea If I kept a mail jurnal.

Submissions: 79

Posted on Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:29 pm

i've always wanted to test different 14ga and 12ga patches against different .22 rounds..

or a medium size ring against a .177 pellet gun, some of those hit 1000fps..

what about a shotgun? would fine welded machine maille stop a slow .410 number 4 shot?

i'm not questioning the "you would die" assertion.. i feel that is established. what interests me is how bad the backdrop and the maille would look.

PSA: remember to stretch.
3.o is fixing everything.

Posted on Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:43 pm

I remember some english lads testing pellets online. Some of the pellets went through but the maille didn't break.

Submissions: 106

Posted on Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:53 pm

sakredchao wrote:
i'm not questioning the "you would die" assertion.. i feel that is established. what interests me is how bad the backdrop and the maille would look.

I'm picturing a Jackson Pollock, in all red...

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Posted on Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:26 pm

ok, in MY test, my 18 gauge 3/16 stainless steel shirt stopped a .45 COLD, no damage to the rings,.. and I threw that bullet pretty hard too!!( ducking and running from the abuse I know is coming) Laughing

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 2. Goto page 1, 2  Next