***Entries for Theme Contest 16 - Jewellery Incorporating...
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Gallery Discussion

Submissions: 106

***Entries for Theme Contest 16 - Jewellery Incorporating...
Posted on Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:03 am || Last edited by lorraine on Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:01 am; edited 1 time in total
Link to Post: Link to Post

Beads Into the Weave***
Whew! That's a long title! Razz

It's time to start making some chainmaille jewelery with beads! Entries will be accepted from now until Monday December 19, 2011. Submit your entries in this thread. Please be sure to read and follow the rules of the contest listed below. (Seriously, read them, follow them! If you have questions, just ask.) Also, don't put any pictures in here that aren't actual submissions, as I will be forced to confiscate all of your mailling stuff and keep it forever and ever as punishment. Very Happy (It's just really confusing to sort them out.) If you plan on entering the contest, let me know in here with an "I'm in". Okay! Ready, Set, Go make something beady!
1. Entries must be previously unsubmitted work. Entries must be at least 2/3 maille woven within the time frame of the contest. The remaining 1/3 can be any maille previously woven or any non-maille. Maille consists of any rings, metal or otherwise, or ring substitutes like scales or pop tabs. Non-maille consists of things like beads or wire wraps.

2. You can submit as many entries as you like.

3. Pictures and descriptions of the entry should be submitted to the contest submission thread before the deadline, by hosting the pictures offsite. (In other words, you need to use an image hosting site to place your picture in the entry thread. They are free to use, you just have to register with them to create an account. Some examples of image hosting sites are TinyPic, Photobucket, Flickr, and ImageShack.) Pictures should be a MAXIMUM of 100Kb and a MAXIMUM of 800px per side.

4. The submission period for entries generally lasts 12 weeks. After the deadline for contest entries, the contest organizer will create a voting thread with all the entries, to be voted on by the membership. The entire membership may vote, each member having one vote. Polls usually last one week before the winner is declared.

5. The winner of the contest will receive a colored shield by their avatar with a number corresponding to the contest they won. The winner will also be granted automatic inclusion of their suggestion on the list of themes for the next contest.

6. The contest organizer may invalidate any entry. If you have concerns about your or any other entry, please contact the contest organizer with a PM. If the contest organizer deems it necessary, a new thread for public discussion will be opened.

Contest Rules Discussion Thread
Theme Contest Archives

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Submissions: 20

Posted on Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:06 am

ZiLi should be happy Very Happy
Most Jewellery is under 1000 rings, so a challenge for people with limited resources!

Useful Links
Site Help: [ BBCode Help | Weave AR/Ring Size Popup | Login Issues ]
Weave AR Search is back: Try it out!

Submissions: 313

Posted on Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:03 am

This pretty much frees up my next 12 weeks. Smile

Tell a mailler what ring sizes to use and they'll weave for a day. Teach them AR and they'll weave forever.
Chainmailbasket.com (2016-02-10) 203 + 17

Submissions: 11

Posted on Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:07 pm

Chainmailbasket_com wrote:

^This.

No cookies for anyone!! Mad

Really though, I need to focus on school and my steampunk costume, so I guess it's a blessing in disguise. I'll just shelve the sculpture for a bit and dazzle all with its awesomeness at some point in future. Razz

Submissions: 0

Posted on Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:27 pm

I'm in. And I am psyched that my suggestion was voted in by a hefty majority, thanks!

Posted on Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:38 pm

Chainmailbasket_com wrote:

As does mine...

And not a moment too soon as my boss just put word in for maternity leave starting tomorrow. Leaving me in charge.

Submissions: 96

Posted on Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:40 pm

I'm in (hopefully)!

Insistence is futile.

We are the Quartz, lower your shovels and surrender your rocks. We will add your gemological and mineralogical distinctiveness to our own. You will adapt to service us. Resistance is rutile.

Handmaden Designs LLC
Facebook
Twitter
Pinterest
Handmade Artists Shop
Think Art Loud

Submissions: 15

Posted on Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:58 pm

I'm in. Smile

Submissions: 2

Posted on Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:29 pm

I'm in... if I have any rings left over once I finish my dragon costume.

Submissions: 1

Posted on Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:51 pm

I'm in! Limited resource newbie power!

(I already have too many ideas; this is going to make me insane, just watch. What did I get myself into...)

Posted on Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:34 am

Quick question: What constitutes a bead? I mean, a lot of what I see sold as beads can easily be used as links. And I could see several weaves (helm spheres, for example) being used as beads.

Posted on Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:47 am

I'm in =D

Posted on Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:20 am

What is a bead, Dinwar asks... That's best left to your interpretation and creativity, within the spirit of the contest. Your helm sphere idea is already inspiring.

While I'm thinking about gemstones and Swarovski crystal combined with metal, there are endless other possiblities... anything 'pierced for stringing' can be used in some way as a bead.

Submissions: 149

Posted on Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:47 am

Hmmm, 'bead' can be defined as near to anything that is not a classical link, but can be embedded in or attached to a piece of jewellery; usually a roughly spheroid item, but also available in various nonspherical shapes, and most often thought as 'focal' element in a piece of jewellery.

btw: ...incorporating beads...
Does that state, that a piece incorporating a single bead is disqualified? Wink I hope not so, as I have something in mind, that CAN capture only a single one...

-ZiLi-

Maille Code V2.0 T7.1 R5.6 Ep Fper MAl Ws$ Cpbsw$ G0.3-6.4 I1.0-30.0 N28.25 Ps Dacdejst Xagtw S08 Hip

Human societies are like chain mail.
A single link will be worth nothing.
A chain is of use, but will break at the weakest link.
A weak weave will have the need to replace weak links.
A strong weave will survive even with weak links included.
-'me

Posted on Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:44 pm

I think, Zili, that we can stipulate that a single bead would qualify, despite the plural form used in the title of the theme; certainly your piece shouldn't be disqualified on such a technicality. I've seen rather a wide latitude allowed in past contests, as it should be.

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 5. Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next