Mead
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Chat

Submissions: 0

Mead
Posted on Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:23 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

Just wondering how many chainmaille makers out there also make mead. So this is a place to discuss mead and the making if it as well as trade recipes or tips and hints for anyone that's interested. Personally I have 6 gallons of mead going right now. 5 gallon of a traditional clover honey mead and a one gallon batch of a rasperry flavored mead

Submissions: 74

Posted on Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:25 pm

humm been a long time from my last mug. i personaly don't make it. local friend use to make it for me. would not mind learning how to make it my self. also, i think there was a conversation about meads a few years ago on here, you might look up the old thread if it still there.

maille Code V2.0 T8.3 R6.4 Ep.f Fper Mfe.s Wsg$ Cpw$ G0.25-2.5 I0.5-30 N31.31 Pa Dacdjw Xa27g37w1 S94

Posted on Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:22 am

I'm trying to convince my wife to brew a new batch. The last one is about half-gone, and her mead takes about 3 years to become good (2 is drinkable; 1 is.......liquid, at least....).

She actually brewed the mead for our wedding. Amazing stuff. My one great-aunt is no longer allowed to have any, though. She got a bit feisty. Took two people to keep her from grabbing some swords and joining in the fighting! (We're in the SCA, so we had scheduled duels at the wedding.) That batch was flavored with oranges, cinnamon, and a few things I don't remember or couldn't recognize when I cleaned out the carboy.

Posted on Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:55 pm

@dinwar orange spiced mead is one of my favorites.

Posted on Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:59 pm

@MaxumX it's not all that hard to learn to make. If your serious about making it we can discuss some ideas and get you started. And thanks for mentioning the other thread I'll look it up

Submissions: 11

Posted on Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:51 pm

I don't make mead though I have long wanted to. However, I do enjoy drinking mead so if you wanna send some my way.... Very Happy

Posted on Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:05 am

Most of the work is at the start, when you bottle it, and when you drink it. 99% of the time "making mead" consists of not doing anything to it. Which is nice--makes life easy. Very Happy

Posted on Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:41 am

Yeah. My problem is lack of space to produce it. Hopefully that will change within the next 6 months. I plan on buying a house soon. Very Happy That will help with my ring production setup as well. Very Happy Very Happy

Posted on Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:01 am

It doesn't take all that much space to make actually. The day you start it it kinda takes over the kitchen but after that you can let it ferment in a cabinet under your sink or in the pantry or wherever really as long as it's a semi dark place some people use there closets. I'm in an apartment and I have space to make even more if I had more carboys and honey

Posted on Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:59 am

I've got a 5 gallon batch of berry melomel ready to be bottled. It's got 12 lbs of clover honey, 3 lbs of blueberries, 3 lbs of blackberries, and 2 lbs of cherries.

My first batch of orange blossom mead turned out spectacular, and is almost gone.

Am I the only one who doesn't use sulfites?

It does not do to leave a live dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him.

Posted on Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:35 pm

Masterhamby wrote:
It doesn't take all that much space to make actually. The day you start it it kinda takes over the kitchen but after that you can let it ferment in a cabinet under your sink or in the pantry or wherever really as long as it's a semi dark place some people use there closets. I'm in an apartment and I have space to make even more if I had more carboys and honey

Yeah, but I don't have any dark spaces to spare. All of my cabinets and closets are full and my kitchen is about 1/3 filled with rubbermaid tubs from my cross country move. Sad Yes, I'm a pack rat and yes, I have way too much crap. That's not going to change any time soon, I'm afraid.

Posted on Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:30 pm

For the most part I don't use chemicals at all I usually squeeze some oarnges and throw in a few raisins for nutrient and let it clarify on it's own over time. But I'm thinking if try some benzonite to clarify quicker

Posted on Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:59 am

My wife is the same way--uses fruit and such instead of sulfites. Fruit adds flavor as well as necessary chemicals, after all.

Quote:
Yeah, but I don't have any dark spaces to spare.
Got a friend who's easily bribe--I mean, who would be willing to trade mead for space?

Submissions: 36

Posted on Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:30 pm

I have a freiend who is teaching me how to make mead. He has all the equip and I am hoping that when my girls get older I can start making it at home.

Dinwar how does your wife make it? 2 days after bottling I start drinking, OK the same day, and it always tastes great.

Once you stop learning, you stop living, so...
Ask questions.
Try new things.
Share what you know.

MailleCode V2.0 T5.3 R4.4 E0.0 Feur MFe.sBr Wg Cwb G.7-5.1 I3.1-11 N20.5 Pj Dcdjt Xa1w2 S08

Posted on Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:21 pm

You can drink it any time after bottling but the longer you wait the better it tastes kind of like with scotch or wine. Personally I can never make it last that long either but one of these days I'll put a bottle away for a few years and try it out

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 2. Goto page 1, 2  Next