Gripe with DHL
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Chat

Submissions: 20

Gripe with DHL
Posted on Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:46 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

This is for the Europeans and Canadians out there, as domestic DHL delivery in the US is now handled by UPS

I have an item on order from Europe, it shipped via DHL... Now I have very little dealings with them... Most domestic North American stuff shipped via courier goes via UPS or FedEx...

That being said, I was pleasantly surprised to watch something travel from drop off in the UK to Canada within 36 hours.
It was after that, that the trouble started.

Upon landing in Hamilton, ON (Really?! In Hamilton of all places?!) it sat for a bit, being scanned repeatedly in the same facility... Sometimes repeating a full scan cycle within hours...
Then it left to be processed for delivery... Or so the website scan said.
Then I was informed that delivery had been attempted, and I was not home...
Odd, I thought, since I was home... And delivery had not been attempted... Nor was there a delivery attempt notification...

Then this morning, I see a new scan show up "Item Forwarded to Courier for Delivery"...

Interesting... So, hang on... Item was unable to be delivered THEN it was scanned out for delivery the next day???
Something fishy is going on...

My suspicions: They are using a FALSE "Delivery Attempted" scan when there is a higher volume of packages in the system, putting the blame for the item not arriving on time with the recipient... Thus not being liable for broken time guarantees. And it's just my word against theirs...

That's just rude.

Useful Links
Site Help: [ BBCode Help | Weave AR/Ring Size Popup | Login Issues ]
Weave AR Search is back: Try it out!

Submissions: 16

Posted on Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:42 pm

that's not really uncommon... mostly, they are fast, but especially in december, they tend to do stuff like that... (they aren't even the worst, don't let me start ranting about 'Hermes' ^^).
Sadly, a lot of german shops work with dhl, although there are better alternatives that are faster and more reliable...

[note; DHL is a part of Deutsche Post ('German Mail')... so yeah... we're sorry Laughing ]

Submissions: 150

Posted on Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:16 pm

Grin (or not). I made the experience that DHL has become worse over the last two or three years - nondelivered packages marked in tracking as attempted delivery have become common, unfortunately. But I found that Hermes that for many years was known for slow delivery (usually DHL plus 2 days), has become much more reliable - for domestic packages. For international shipping UPS is the benchmark, but they let you pay their services, so they are an alternative for me only, if a package absolutely NEEDS to be delivered in a particular time frame and shipping costs are not important.

@Kleriker and other German senders: What I found is, that if an international shipping OUTSIDE European Union, originating from Germany has to be sent, and you need no tracking but delivery in around a week's timeframe, sending as LETTER (and NOT as small packet) is the most cost-effective and reliable method - if the shipping is below 2 kilograms (or can be divided into up to three 2kg shipments...

-ZiLi-

Maille Code V2.0 T7.1 R5.6 Ep Fper Mfe.s Ws$ Cpbsw$ G0.3-6.4 I1.0-30.0 N28.25 Pj Dacdejst Xagtw S08 Hi

Human societies are like chain mail.
A single link will be worth nothing.
A chain is of use, but will break at the weakest link.
A weak weave will have the need to replace weak links.
A strong weave will survive even with weak links included.
-'me

Posted on Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:57 pm

I'm still no fan of Hermes... I had a lot of bad experiences with them... they need 3-4 days for a delivery and work very poor.
Only once I had a packet after 2 days - I wasn't at home, so the deliverer just put it down in front of the door.... in the middle of one hell of a thunderstorm. My neighbor was so kind to save it, before it was completly destroyed. (sidenote; I never gave Hermes or another deliverer a 'abstellerlaubnis' [don't what it's called in english... it's a declaration that you give the deliverer the right to put the packet in a specific point and take full respsonibility for possible losses/damages.)

As for DHL; Yes, they where better a few years ago, that's true.

Thanks for the tip with the letter ^^ I'll keep it in mind.

Submissions: 0

Posted on Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:50 am

hermes is by FAR the worst postal service in germany

just had to be said Wink

Posted on Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:34 am

Zerwas wrote:
hermes is by FAR the worst postal service in germany

just had to be said Wink

That once happened to be true, but in my personal experience as logistics manager for a computer hardware vendor (and so not only opinion) they have become MUCH better during the last two years - to the same degree as DHL has become worse - especially during the final delivery phase. This might also be a bit region-dependent, as I know that some customers want to get their deliveries (e.g.) via DPD or so, as they made some bad experiences with other parcel services - there simply IS a difference between urban and rural regions.

In the end (and as German I DO feel a bit ashamed of the fact) everybody who NEEDS to have a package delivered fast and well-tracked, with warranted delivery dates, NEEDS to use UPS - even in Germany. They are the benchmark.

And see that it's the typical 'two of three' problem: Fast, Reliable, Cheap - Chose two. You never can get all three at once; by principle.

-ZiLi-

Maille Code V2.0 T7.1 R5.6 Ep Fper Mfe.s Ws$ Cpbsw$ G0.3-6.4 I1.0-30.0 N28.25 Pj Dacdejst Xagtw S08 Hi

-'me

Posted on Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:26 pm

I made very good experoence with gls and from work wizh dpd (only very few packet aren't delivered in 24h).
Where I work, we use dpd and hermes (funny fact; i work for a concern that is part of the otto-group, like hermes is, but they ionly use dod - because hermes is not good enaugh).

And tze other concern i work for uses hermes... we get a lot of compkaints there, destroyed packages, drunken drivers, unfriendly... and i see a lot of the shiping-logs and they are really bad...
But with dpd, most of the time the customer calls because his stuff took more then the pomised 24h.

But i can't really say something about ups, i don't have much expetince. I'm not that often at hom, neither are my neighbours and the next location to pick up something from ups is in a differenzt city. Because of thid, i don't want to use it.

Posted on Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:32 pm

Kleriker: XMas festivities? Laughing

-ZiLi-

-'me

Submissions: 11

Posted on Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:53 pm

Yeah, DHL was never fun to work with on the customs side of things either...at least in my experience. However, I don't think ANYONE could be as bad as UPS. I hate them with a fiery passion that burns brighter than a million suns. I really wish they'd go out of business.

Submissions: 5

Posted on Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:04 pm

Jax25 wrote:
However, I don't think ANYONE could be as bad as UPS.

Not even FedEx?

I come in pieces.

Posted on Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:48 pm

Actually, I've had really good experiences with FedEx except that they have twice left a package with my neighbor, whom I don't know at all. However, my neighbor brought me my stuff both times and things were fine. I called FedEx and lodged a complaint that they delivered it to my neighbor without permission and I haven't had any troubles since.

On the other hand, I constantly have problems with UPS, their office (to pick up my packages) is 40 miles round trip from my house AND they charge if you want to arrange delivery or have it sent to a UPS store close to my house, whereas FedEx does those things for free. I even have better service from the postal service and THAT is saying something.

Submissions: 0

Posted on Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:51 am

o.o This all sounds so odd to me, but I only use USPS anymore. They get my stuff to me faster than anything else (with "standard" shipping it's never taken more than 4 days) and it's cheaper, even with a DC number.

UPS isn't too bad, except that for some reason they keep insisting on seeing my ID before they leave things with me (And often times complain that I'm not 21 before they leave my things with me) and they are really slow.

FedEx is fine, except that they are also pretty slow and I get things late quite often (Though rarely by more than a day or two).

So, good ol' postal service for me. I hope everyone else's shipping people start being awesome though. @-@

Posted on Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:05 pm

UPS asks to see your ID???? They don't even make sure I'm home. They just leave it on the doorstep.

USPS has been doing that too but since I left a note for the postal carrier, he left a card again yesterday. Hopefully I've broken him of the habit of leaving stuff on my doorstep because I'm not home for hours after he shows up. *knocks on wood* But generally I agree. The postal service has been by far the most reliable for me and that's who I always mail things to other people through...unless they request someone different. Nobody's ever made that request though.

Submissions: 20

Posted on Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:14 pm

artisan78 wrote:
I am surprised at all the bad experiences with DHL. I do send many packages especially around x-mas and it all worked out fine each year. but yeah, maybe it's a question of timing and on how mu8ch you're ready to pay. Unfortunately, but also naturally, the expensive services are the most efficient.

The important thing to remember, is that it seems to depend on where you live... In lots of countries, DHL has a designated drop-off or pickup location that is somewhere near the end consumer.
Where I am, at least, the only option I had was to continue attempting to be home to meet the delivery guy... Even on the days it said he was going to show, and then didn't show up (yet I had yet more "Delivery Attempted" scans show up)...

Eventually, it should be noted, it was delivered... Later than the gauranteed date... In due form, I contacted DHL who told me that since delivery had been attempted, but I was "not home", the original time gaurantee could not be honoured.
I pointed out to them that delivery had been attempted BEFORE the item had actually made it to the city I currently live in, and was essentially told that their package scans are always right, and I must be mistaken.

Genuinely not happy with DHL... But since I was not given a shipping option at time of purchase, there's not much I can do about it...
Of all the shipping methods in the world, I still prefer the postal service... But that's me.

C'est la vie.

Useful Links
Site Help: [ BBCode Help | Weave AR/Ring Size Popup | Login Issues ]
Weave AR Search is back: Try it out!

Posted on Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:42 pm

Heh, their package scans are always right...except when they're wrong...

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 2. Goto page 1, 2  Next