Minimum AR Xenesthis
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Weaves Discussion

Submissions: 16

Minimum AR Xenesthis
Posted on Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:59 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

I just tried Xenesthis with Rings with an AR of 3,4, it was really hard, because of the smaller size of the rings then the weave has as ideal AR... to be precicly, I had to force the rings together and the last one was really hard. The Unit is rigid, and I can't imagine that I could have done it with smaller rings.

So I think that 3,4 would be the minimum AR of the weave.

Stats; Wire-Size is 1mm, ID of a closed ring 3,4mm.
I checked those data with a digital caliper and the rings are all closed really good, not even one opened a bit because of the pressure (in fact that surprised me a bit). Makes a nice pendant Very Happy

Submissions: 106

Posted on Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:11 pm

You should post a picture in Gallery Discussion! I would love to see it. Since it's Narrina's baby, I'll let her decide about adding the minimum AR. Smile

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Posted on Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:35 pm

It's already dark here, but I hope I get enough sunshine to make a good pic.

Submissions: 149

Posted on Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:15 pm

Grin. I looked up the weave submission and noted that she used 18 'GA' in the description - I had nearly thought that 18 was most times SWG, and the typical 1mm wire called 19, if at all - So she might also edit her submission to denote the gauge type to have distinctive data published...

But to be honest: The 0.1 difference between an AR of 3.4 and 3.5 is usually within the precision range that is achievable - in the meanwhile I even measure my wire precisely, as e.g. nominal 1.2mm wire sometimes varied inbetween 1.16 and 1.22 mm real thickness - if I had calculated AR simply based on the nominal 1.2mm, I would have given AR numbers sometimes up to 0.2 too high or low. And I use averages of usually a dozen of measurements, for wire and ring.

-ZiLi-

Maille Code V2.0 T7.1 R5.6 Ep Fper MAl Ws$ Cpbsw$ G0.3-6.4 I1.0-30.0 N28.25 Ps Dacdejst Xagtw S08 Hip

Human societies are like chain mail.
A single link will be worth nothing.
A chain is of use, but will break at the weakest link.
A weak weave will have the need to replace weak links.
A strong weave will survive even with weak links included.
-'me

Posted on Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:34 pm

I measured my wire, too. It is 0,97mm, so it is pretty much what you would call 1mm. [I measured it in the beginning and in the end to be sure it is only one size, and after thinking of submitting this, I even measured some of the used rings, always 0,97)
But you are right, after receiving my caliper a few month ago I checked my wire and was surprised of the real thickness. But I only had this variations with the stainless-wire (although I don't want to imply that other metals are save, I think I just was lucky with the other ones).

Submissions: 97

Posted on Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:52 pm

ZiLi wrote:
So she might also edit her submission to denote the gauge type to have distinctive data published...

I would if I knew it. I'm assuming that it is likely AWG (wire came from Parawire), however, I don't know for sure and have seen both AWG and SWG wire sold in the U.S. without any mention of which one they were (which is seriously annoying as it makes a big difference).

Kleriker, you are probably right about 3.4 being the minimum AR.

Insistence is futile.

We are the Quartz, lower your shovels and surrender your rocks. We will add your gemological and mineralogical distinctiveness to our own. You will adapt to service us. Resistance is rutile.

Handmaden Designs LLC
Facebook
Twitter
Pinterest
Handmade Artists Shop
Author Website

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1