On The Bias
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Weaves Discussion

Submissions: 34

On The Bias
Posted on Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:54 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

As one of the n00bs here and learning new things, one term confuses me as I look at different weaves. What does it mean or refer to when something is 'On the bias'? Confused

Submissions: 149

Posted on Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:12 am

A sheet weave has normally two main weaving directions - top-down, or left-right, and the sheet edges run parallel to these weaving (or grain) directions. Once you make a relatively narrow sheet with diagonal seams, you get the sheet weave on the bias. See following example of European 6 in 1.

Left and right are straight samples, across and lengthwise woven - the center strips are biased ones. But ALL four are the same weave.

This biasing technique works for near to every sheet weave (except a couple of Japanese ones that are rotation symmetrical), and some yield interesting results, especially if very narrow strips are woven that consist more or less of only border rings. Another 'thankful victim' for experiments (besides European Sheet weaves) is Half Persian 3 Sheet 6 in 1 - I even submitted a tutorial for a biased variant; if you wish I can show some further examples.

-ZiLi-

Maille Code V2.0 T7.1 R5.6 Ep Fper MAl Ws$ Cpbsw$ G0.3-6.4 I1.0-30.0 N28.25 Ps Dacdejst Xagtw S08 Hip

Human societies are like chain mail.
A single link will be worth nothing.
A chain is of use, but will break at the weakest link.
A weak weave will have the need to replace weak links.
A strong weave will survive even with weak links included.
-'me

Submissions: 100

Posted on Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:17 am

I disagree Zili there is no advantage to that position. I'm confused looking at those two bias samples. Is one just contracted or is there more to it?

Posted on Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:00 pm

Hmmm. I'm confused by the first sentence of your reply - advantage, position, what do you disagree with? Please explain.

About the two biased samples - No, both are standard Euro6in1, and no contractions or so were done - just shifted one resp. two rings from row to row - In contrast to Euro4in1 that allows only one ring 'shift' per row without getting loose, flopping rings, E6in1 allows two edge variants. If you weave a rectangular sample sheet of E61, and then remove rings at a corner to round it off, you'll see soon yourself what is possible, and what I did when making these sample strips.

Another sample, this time HP3in1Sheet6:
(Click to enlarge)

Other weave, but same game, here as one strip, arranged with weave's 'grain' in one direction...

-ZiLi-

Maille Code V2.0 T7.1 R5.6 Ep Fper MAl Ws$ Cpbsw$ G0.3-6.4 I1.0-30.0 N28.25 Ps Dacdejst Xagtw S08 Hip

-'me

Submissions: 34

Posted on Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:53 pm

So in layman's terms the horizontal and verticle runs of those weaves are basic and the ones running in a diagonal formation are bias'd minus weaves such as JP 12-2 as it doesn't really have a set directional pattern as it goes everywhere at once.

Submissions: 106

Posted on Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:30 pm

[quote:69376c3223="LupusSux"]So in layman's terms the horizontal and verticle runs of those weaves are basic and the ones running in a diagonal formation are bias'd minus weaves such as JP 12-2 as it doesn't really have a set directional pattern as it goes everywhere at once.

I think you have the idea LupusSux. This article might help explain "on the bias" if you haven't seen it yet: European 4 in 1 on the Bias.

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Submissions: 100

Posted on Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:05 am

don't worry about the first sentence Zili. It is just dumb joke. I think I get it though now. It's like a bias on the bias? How very ironic.

Posted on Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:27 am

LupusSux wrote:
So in layman's terms the horizontal and verticle runs of those weaves are basic and the ones running in a diagonal formation are bias'd minus weaves such as JP 12-2 as it doesn't really have a set directional pattern as it goes everywhere at once.

Principally such Japanese sheet weaves have also potential biased weaving directions - but due to the fact that there are so many 'straight', identical weaving directions possible, these are not used in paractice.

And as a final sample that shows the sometimes stunning changes that a basis weave can experience by being woven biased:
Two Dense Byzantine Sheet bracelets. Top: standard straight woven, bottom biased (yes, the top one has some doubled connectors where needed to tighten up, and the bottom is single-connector-only, but they're the same weave).
As usual, click to enlarge...

-ZiLi-

-'me

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1