Tutorial for round scale?
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Weaves Discussion

Submissions: 0

Tutorial for round scale?
Posted on Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:27 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

Can anyone put up a tutorial for round scale? Pictures or cgi would b fine I just can't seem to figure it out just from the picture of it in the weaves section
any help would b appreciated

Submissions: 106

Posted on Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:25 pm

RoundScale is a 5 large and 5 small rings strip of Dragonscale curled into a circle and joined. Then you keep adding rows up like a tower. OR you can make the strip and then zip it up. I think the first one is easier, but it's probably a matter of opinion.

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Submissions: 97

Posted on Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:30 pm

I've generally found it easier to make a section of Dragonscale to whatever length you need and then just curl it in and join the sides together.

Insistence is futile.

We are the Quartz, lower your shovels and surrender your rocks. We will add your gemological and mineralogical distinctiveness to our own. You will adapt to service us. Resistance is rutile.

Handmaden Designs LLC
Facebook
Twitter
Pinterest
Handmade Artists Shop
Author Website

Posted on Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:46 pm

Thanks for the help guys but Id still really like a tutorial for it. I plan to use it as a handle for a set of floggers. If made with rings near the minimum ar is it fairly stiff?

Posted on Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:51 pm

Thanks for the help guys but Id still really like a tutorial for it. I plan to use it as a handle for a set of floggers. If made with rings near the minimum ar is it fairly stiff?

Posted on Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:17 am

There are links to several tutorials for Dragonscale on that page.

Lorraine's Chains

Submissions: 149

Posted on Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:09 am

Hmm. See that RoundScale is a sheet of Dragonscale, that has the strip's edges woven together. So the tutorials for Dragonscale (there are many linked on the weave's page) are useable for Roundscale as well. Personally I'd propose to start with a short sheet of a handful of rows length (and NOT the full handle's length), 'sew' it up to a short tube, and then lengthen it to the desired length, after having something to grab in the hands.

But I think that Dragonscale (and so Roundscale too) is a) very AR combination sensitive, and b) has a somewhat nasty stretch/compress behavior that makes it imho an unfavorable choice for a handle, except some filling is brought into the tube.

Anyway: I decided for European 6 in 1 sheet, with a comparably tight AR of 4.7, when I made my 1st. flogger's handle. And I am satisfied with the result. While I had the handle originally filled with some strips of fabric, it was even stable without any filling - but finally I coiled a fitting, and stetched Bronze spring as filler for the handle. With such a stabilizing filler spring you can chose a higher AR for the sheet - and have some AR choice leeway also in case you retain your choice of Dragonscale/Roundscale tube...

-ZiLi-

Maille Code V2.0 T7.1 R5.6 Ep Fper MAl Ws$ Cpbsw$ G0.3-6.4 I1.0-30.0 N28.25 Ps Dacdejst Xagtw S08 Hip

Human societies are like chain mail.
A single link will be worth nothing.
A chain is of use, but will break at the weakest link.
A weak weave will have the need to replace weak links.
A strong weave will survive even with weak links included.
-'me

Submissions: 11

Posted on Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:11 am

I'm finding, interestingly enough, that my E6 handle is prone to collapsing inward and will probably need a filler. The rings seem pretty tight otherwise though...Annnnnnnyway, yeah, I don't have anything to say about RoundScale because I haven't used it for such an application.

Posted on Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:20 am

Jax, as told: Higher ARs need a filler; a fitting, stretched coil works well for that purpose.

-ZiLi-

Maille Code V2.0 T7.1 R5.6 Ep Fper MAl Ws$ Cpbsw$ G0.3-6.4 I1.0-30.0 N28.25 Ps Dacdejst Xagtw S08 Hip

-'me

Posted on Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:50 am

Great, now I'm on a site with members knowledgable (or seeking knowledge) about floggers... Surprised

Posted on Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:08 am

Rognvald wrote:
Great, now I'm on a site with members knowledgable (or seeking knowledge) about floggers... Surprised

And have been the WHOLE TIME. Razz

Lorraine's Chains

Posted on Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:38 pm

lorraine wrote:
Rognvald wrote:

And have been the WHOLE TIME. Razz

I knew that the whole time - but I'm member of the 'tight-knit' group of maillers that is regular visitor in our #mail IRC channel (see Community/Chat). And -just as warning- there the talk is not always kids-safe... Very Happy

-ZiLi-

-'me

Posted on Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:19 pm

ZiLi wrote:
Jax, as told: Higher ARs need a filler; a fitting, stretched coil works well for that purpose.

-ZiLi-

My AR isn't higher though. In fact, I've measured my AR to be ever so slightly smaller than your reported one of 4.7. Perhaps it's just the different material? I dunno, nor does it matter overly in my instance. I don't have any problem stuffing something in there to hold the shape, whether it be a coil or something else.

Posted on Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:50 pm

Oh I'm ABSOLUTELY NOT astonished to read that; the fact that my maille tube was stable even without stiffeners was more or less a matter of pure chance - I would have difficulties to weave it much narrower if I had wanted to do so. Especially in sculptural use sometimes even slightest AR deviations cause that - and the second after-decimal digit of AR number becomes significant.

So I just took a random sample of ten rings of that ring type used, closed them, and remeasured every ring's ID five times (and measured also the wire, several times), and fed the results into a statistics program. The result was an average AR of 4.67, with a standard deviation of 0.06 - saw cut inevitably produces such high standard deviations due to the saw kerf's material loss that results in not completely round CLOSED rings; other cut methods that have no material loss due to the cut have lower deviations - at least potentially...

And so sculptural work can become a 'high art', if one wants to avoid stiffeners and so, to preserve 'pure' mailleing technique throughout a piece. But I think, there's nothing wrong with such tricks, as long as they're invisible (hidden tricks can even become an art of their own).

-ZiLi-

-'me

Posted on Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:01 pm

Aha, wow, I didn't realize the standard deviations were off that much! And yes, of course, my rings are saw cut...so that could mean that they're very deviant indeed. Wink

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 2. Goto page 1, 2  Next