Towards a revitalized CafePress Store
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> League Business

Submissions: 16

Towards a revitalized CafePress Store
Posted on Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:54 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

As some of you may have figured out by my recent appointment as CafePress Manager for MAIL, we're looking to fix up that storefront and sell some merchandise. If you've ever looked at the current selection of items (on the first or second account), you may notice that the design selection is rather slim, and this is something that should be fixed.
To do this, we're looking to open up a contest for community designs, with the best being printed. After they go live, the designer of whichever sells the best will get one of them for free, or something like that. In whatever form it ends up being, the goal is to have members submit their designs and get real prizes for the best, as defined by both community votes and dollar votes in the store. While the CafePress store is intended as a fundraiser, MAIL hasn't exactly sold a large volume over the past years and we're still going strong, so the intent is really to get the members some nice schwag to show off to their friends.

This brings us to the point of this specific post: design licensing for said future contest. We want a license that allows MAIL to print the designs and make money from them, but still allows the original creator to do the same. I personally do not want to see specific usernames or signatures on the products themselves as credits, but that's also open for discussion. With the inevitable outcome of more designs being submitted than printed, the unchosen entries also become a point of interest. If they are not used by MAIL after this contest, should MAIL retain the ability to print them in the future if desired, or entirely revert all rights to the creator to do with whatever they wish? Also, modification rights, in the event that a design is well liked and we wish to update it in the future and reprint it, should that be explicitly given to MAIL or do all designs become "all or nothing"? The main reason for that is that we do not want to have to go back and contact original creators if changes are desired, as is becoming an issue for old weave entries where it was not laid out from the start.

Anyway, I'm open to any discussion about this topic, and would welcome thoughts about what I've mentiond or anything else related to the logistics of running this contest.

Maille Code V2.0 T5.9 R5.1 En.o Fcir MFe.s Wgm$ Cab$w G0.2-2.0 I1.2-14.1 N(many).~25 Pdjs Dacdejst Xg(many)t1w5 S03
deviantArt

Submissions: 106

Posted on Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:41 am

I would be thrilled to participate in this. But I would have some conditions M.A.I.L. would absolutely have to follow if you should happen to decide to use any pictures I submit.
1. M.A.I.L. is NOT allowed to put my screen name, my real name, or any other identifying marks that would promote me or my business instead of M.A.I.L. on the picture.
2. M.A.I.L. MUST ONLY use the picture I submit for blatant fund raising for the continuing benefit and support of M.A.I.L.
3. M.A.I.L. MUST have sole discretion in deciding if, how, when, and where the picture is to be used, in perpetuity.

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Submissions: 93

Posted on Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:26 am

Pushy, pushy...

"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one."

George Bernard Shaw

Maille Code V1.0 T5.7 R5.1 Fhd MCu Wc Cd G2.03/.56 I9.75/3.25 Pn Dacdjs S97 CCi

Submissions: 0

Posted on Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:42 pm

Would it be correct to think of the pictures submitted than as ''donations' to be used for the support of M.A.I.L. ?

Submissions: 106

Posted on Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:00 am

Blaise wrote:
Pushy, pushy...

Very Happy
Rognvald wrote:
Would it be correct to think of the pictures submitted than as ''donations' to be used for the support of M.A.I.L. ?

That would be my preference, yes.

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Submissions: 35

Posted on Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:24 am

Has this moved forward any? I'd love to get a zippered fleece with the MAIL logo on the left breast.

Posted on Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:29 am

Aberrant Artificer wrote:
Has this moved forward any? I'd love to get a zippered fleece with the MAIL logo on the left breast.

It should move some more soon, I just finished moving to DC for the semester and just got internet here a few hours ago.

Maille Code V2.0 T5.9 R5.1 En.o Fcir MFe.s Wgm$ Cab$w G0.2-2.0 I1.2-14.1 N(many).~25 Pdjs Dacdejst Xg(many)t1w5 S03
deviantArt

Submissions: 0

Posted on Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:24 pm

I think the addition of darker colors would help sell as well as new designs. I know the biggest reason I havnt purchased a shirt or anything is because of my work as a mechanic, and the need for ALL of my clothing to be at least semi grease hiding lol Also I think the change to fitted type hats may help as well, but then there is the issue of keeping stock of multiple sizes as apposed to keeping a one size fits all type.

Hex

Submissions: 35

Posted on Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:25 pm

CShake wrote:
It should move some more soon, I just finished moving to DC for the semester and just got internet here a few hours ago.
It's getting to be fleece weather lately. Not today, since it's shorts and t-shirt weather, but most other days. No pressure. Razz

Posted on Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:43 pm

Personally, i wouldn't like my name on everyones t-shirt ^^. But i think the creator could be mentioned in the product-description (somewhat like 'logo created by xyz').
The idea that creator and maille have the right to use/modify the design is imho the best way.

Maybe a stupid idea; how about maille-members having the right to use the design for a fee to use for custom stuff? (For the possibility that someone wants the logo on something that isnt in the store).

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1