Excel calculator for Aspect Ratio - NEW FUNCTIONS 1/5/2014
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Articles Discussion

Submissions: 2

Excel calculator for Aspect Ratio - NEW FUNCTIONS 1/5/2014
Posted on Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:00 pm || Last edited by ChainOfBeauty on Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:00 am; edited 9 times in total
Link to Post: Link to Post

NEW UPDATE-SEE BELOW

My Excel calculator for Inner Diameter (ID), Gauge (GA), and Aspect Ratio (AR). I created this calculator to make sure my pieces come out like I want them to. I use this calculator almost every time I’m making a new piece.

What the calculator does:

1. Enter the desired ring size (inner diameter) and gauge, and the calculator will tell you what AR will result.

2. Enter the desired aspect ratio and gauge, and the calculator will tell you what inner diameter to use.

3. Enter the desired aspect ratio and inner diameter, and the calculator will tell you what gauge you need. (This is the calculation I use most frequently.)

The calculator also has a place for you to enter desired ARs and chainmaille weave names so you can record and remember what AR you need. I added a few sample weaves and recommended ARs just to get you started.

Note: The gauge/thickness equivalency chart uses AWG for gauge and the metric measurements in millimeters. (For example, it shows 20 ga. to be 0.81 mm.)

You can download the calculator from here: http://www.chainofbeauty.com/chainmaille-resources/information-and-instructions/ (Still no macros, just regular Excel formulas)
You can see an image of the spreadsheet before downloading it so that you can determine whether it will be useful to you.

Let me know if you find it useful!

UPDATES:
UPDATE 10/1013: I added a series of measurement inch/MM conversion calculators. I use MM for inner diameter and gauge, but sometimes I come across tutorials that use inch decimals (0.??) or inch ratios (??/??). I needed a converter to change the inches into MM. The spreadsheet now has those converters. Scroll to right side of spreadsheet to see the converters.

They include:
a. MM to Inch decimal (0.??)
b. Inch decimal (0.??) to MM
c. MM to inch ratio (1/??)
d. Inch ratio (1/??) to MM
e. Inch ratio (1/??) to Inch decimal (0.??)
f. Inch decimal (0.??) to Inch ratio (1/??)
Inch ratio (??/??) to MM (I use this one most commonly)

One of these converters is likely to help you convert from the measurements in tutorials to the measurement you use.

UPDATE 1/5/2014:
Added AWG / SWG conversions. Added drop down menus for the gauges so you can use actual AWG gauge numbers and not the millimeter equivalents. Added troy ounce to ounce conversions. Added weight to length conversion. (over 720 downloads as of 1/5/2014)
NOTE: If you downloaded the old version, get the new version from my new site here: http://www.chainofbeauty.com/chainmaille-resources/information-and-instructions/

Combining art and technique

Submissions: 1

Posted on Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:19 am

Pretty Good. Similar to some of the calculators I've seen. There are some more hosted here at: http://mailleartisans.org/downloads/

It's good to see more and more people creating tools like this. Nice work, and as time goes on, I'm sure you will add to it so it can accomplish much more than AR and suggested gauge information.

Submissions: 100

Posted on Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:26 am

It could use some information about spring back and actual IDs. Is the download supposed to just be a chart or is that something my computer is doing to it?

Posted on Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:02 pm

djgm wrote:
It could use some information about spring back and actual IDs. Is the download supposed to just be a chart or is that something my computer is doing to it?

Thanks for checking out the calculator. I hope you find it as useful as I have.

1. The spring back issue is important, but spring back is very dependent on both the wire material used and the coiling process for making rings. For example, when I use silver-plated copper wire, I pull it tight and hold it a few seconds before taking it off my mandrel. As a result, I get no noticeable spring back. (In fact, it's a little difficult to pull the coil from the mandrel.) This calculator does not address spring back.

2. The left side of the spreadsheet contains an AWG > MM conversion chart. However, the calculator, itself, is on the right side. Enter your desired measurements in the un-gray cells and hit enter. The result will show up in the gray boxes to the right.

Here's what might be happening.

Most of the cells are locked so the information and calculators can't accidentally be deleted. You can't even select them, but you don't need to. The places where you need to enter information are unlocked. They include the fields in the calculator where you enter your measurements and the section at the bottom where you can record weave names and ARs.

Submissions: 20

Posted on Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:17 am

ChainOfBeauty wrote:
Here's what might be happening.

Most of the cells are locked so the information and calculators can't accidentally be deleted. You can't even select them, but you don't need to. The places where you need to enter information are unlocked. They include the fields in the calculator where you enter your measurements and the section at the bottom where you can record weave names and ARs.

Also: Newer versions of Excel will "block" macros and formulae that were written on a copy of Excel that isn't yours as a security measure. (Since Macro Viruses do exist in the wild.)

You will need to actively TELL Excel to allow the macros/formulae to run.
(I suggest, naturally, that you have an AntiVirus suite installed capable of scanning excel files.)

Useful Links
Site Help: [ BBCode Help | Weave AR/Ring Size Popup | Login Issues ]
Weave AR Search is back: Try it out!

Posted on Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:29 pm

Thanks for the tip. The calculator does not use macros, but it does use formulas (obviously, it has to do the math).

Once I've used a weave that looks they way I want it to, I can replicate it endlessly. But what if I want use a different ring size or gauge? Or what if I'm using someone else's intructions but want to change the ring details? I want the resulting chain to have the same characteristics as the original, with the same ring density and flexibility. This is when I need to do the math.

Well, I got tired of doing the math. Now, I use this calculator.

Example use: I like an AR of 3.7 for Byzantine chain (3 mm ID, 20 gauge wire). Now, let's say I want to make a larger chain using 5 mm rings, and I want the same proportions. I enter the AR (3.7) and desired ring size (5 mm), hit enter, and viola! The calculator says I need a wire diameter of 1.35 mm to create a chain with the exact characteristics a the original. According to the comparison chart, 1.35 mm is right between 15 gauge and 16 gauge. I'll use 16 gauge wire so the chain isn't too tight. I will be just a hair looser than the original, but not noticeably. (Of course, if I could find 15.5 gauge, I'd use that.)

Posted on Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:26 am

I also just updated the Resources page from which you can download the calculator. New resources, some new video links, etc.

Submissions: 0

Posted on Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:16 am

thank you thank you thank you

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1