M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Weaves Discussion

Submissions: 0

New Weave? B8FP Variant
Posted on Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:18 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

Silicon Bronze and Stainless Steel
.035" wire on a 1/4" mandrel
Measured .034" x .304"Id bronze and .034" x .302"Id SS

Original B8FP i on the right new weave on the left.
FP6 in stainless, box in bronze.

I started out making regular B8FP but the AR was too big and the chain sloppy, So I tucked the outer part of the Box rings under the FP6 rings.

It is still interwoven E4(box chain) and Full Persian 6-1 Except now each ring goes through 4 rings of the 'other ' chain instead of only 2.

Submissions: 149

Posted on Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:39 am

At least I cannot remember to have seen that 'tucked under B8FP' - and if the outer rings were a bit larger, you could even convert that further, to 'nested Double-FP' (or similar named). For me it sems 'new enough' to be submittable stuff. I can err, but if in doubt, send a PM to Nárrína.

-ZiLi-

Maille Code V2.0 T7.1 R5.6 Ep Fper MAl Ws$ Cpbsw$ G0.3-6.4 I1.0-30.0 N28.25 Ps Dacdejst Xagtw S08 Hip

Human societies are like chain mail.
A single link will be worth nothing.
A chain is of use, but will break at the weakest link.
A weak weave will have the need to replace weak links.
A strong weave will survive even with weak links included.
-'me

Submissions: 337

Posted on Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:14 pm

Looks new to me, I like it.

Maille Code
V2.0 T7.3 R5.4 Ep Feur MAg/Cu Wm$ Cbjpw$ G0.5/3.0 I1.5/12.0 N322.150 Pajs Dacdjsw Xa7g631p4t24w64 S88 Hipsu

Submissions: 97

Posted on Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:32 pm

Go ahead and submit it, Pyro. I doubled checked the weave library and this variant does not exist in it and I agree with ZiLi that this is 'new enough.'

Insistence is futile.

We are the Quartz, lower your shovels and surrender your rocks. We will add your gemological and mineralogical distinctiveness to our own. You will adapt to service us. Resistance is rutile.

Handmaden Designs LLC
Facebook
Twitter
Pinterest
Handmade Artists Shop
Author Website

Posted on Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:55 pm

YEAH! Someone else submitting weaves! I propose you name it 'Locked B8FP' - But that's your personal choice as creator, to chose freely amongst not yet given names - as long as not misleading or 'socially incompatible' ones are used. See that I'm currently in a mood to give 'astronomy/astronautics' related names - other times I'm using technical ones that describe the weave. So use that freedom, and don't let restrict or dominate your choice by others.

BTW: You should not use 'SS' as material description, as this could be either 'Stainless Steel' or 'Sterling Silver' - so use Stainless (Steel) or Sterling (Silver) - with or without the bracketed part. And I tell you, that I like that you use actual measured data, so everybody can EXACTLY reproduce, even if using alternative materials that may have different hardness/springback properties, by adjustment of mandrel/wire combination to achieve the right AR. Smile

-ZiLi-

Maille Code V2.0 T7.1 R5.6 Ep Fper MAl Ws$ Cpbsw$ G0.3-6.4 I1.0-30.0 N28.25 Ps Dacdejst Xagtw S08 Hip

-'me

Submissions: 0

Posted on Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:35 am

Thanks.

I already tried the double FP6 but it's too tight with these rings. They wouldn't need to be much bigger.

I'm surprised that the springback of the two metals are so close. Both are very springy compared to other metals.

I have no idea what to call it. "Locked B8FP" works. Or FP8B.

These rings are close to the minimum AR or this weave. It bends around a 2.5 inch circle.

Posted on Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:08 am

Well, 'Locked B8FP' would follow the nomenclature for a couple of other weaves, that use 'Locked' as name modifier for similar modifications of a predecessor weaves - so this would be a 'technical' name. What I meant with freedom of name choice was, that you could alternatively decide for a 'fantasy' name that you feel to remember when seeing the weave - examples are a couple of structurally similar weaves that are named after a some reptile species combined with body parts skin, tail, backbone, etc.. And finally you could even chose a name that is totally unconnected to the weave's structure, and e.g. commemorates an event, some ancient god, heavenly body, or even a historical person - but the latter would be unusual, and in some cases even problematic due to cultural differences throughout the world. Looking through my personal portfolio I tell you, that I used already all of these naming methods, except the last, potentially problematic one.

Your image shown in the opening post looks alrady fine for the submission, as it shows exactly, what is changed, to convert the predecessor to your weave (I'd maybe crop down left and right one ring cell each, to hide the start and end of sample chain - but it's your submission, and already in that state much better than many weave submission images in our database).

BTW: The proposed further modification that only needs a bit larger rings to be weavable, if there is space enough inside the weave to execute it in practice (what is yet to be proven), would be named 'FP8FP' by me, if I was the submitter - but it's yours, as without having 'stumbled over' your example I'd never have had the idea at all...

Go ahead, and submit - maybe both. Smile

-ZiLi-

-'me

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1