Birthday Club 2013
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Chat

Submissions: 36

Birthday Club 2013
Posted on Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:45 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

Now as 2012 birthday club is coming to a close I am wondering if people are interested in continuing this for next year as well. While this is not a sign up thread I would like to hear discussion about peoples interest and changes they feel should occur, if any.

While I am interested in participating I am not interested in running the program for another year. So, while I can pass along information and ideas to the new person I have below a list of characteristics that will be helpful for the new Coordinator.

Suggested Coordinator Qualifications:
The person chosen should be:
1. an established member of MAIL
2. organized
3. willing to do the job

2 Assistants are also recommended in order to help make the job easier to manage.

Once you stop learning, you stop living, so...
Ask questions.
Try new things.
Share what you know.

MailleCode V2.0 T5.3 R4.4 E0.0 Feur MFe.sBr Wg Cwb G.7-5.1 I3.1-11 N20.5 Pj Dcdjt Xa1w2 S08

Submissions: 11

Posted on Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:03 pm

I wouldn't mind being an assistant again, but I really don't want to run the show.

That said, I don't know. It's really disheartening to have people sign up and then not follow through. Maybe if we ditched the half birthday thing and just had single partners it might be less complicated and people would actually get their birthday presents?? Though in my case, the only presents I got were my half birthdays...so I have no idea what could make it work out better. The problem seemed to be the folks who completely dropped off the map and were never heard from again.

Posted on Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:33 pm

And there is the biggest problem that faces a club like this. People committing and not following through. I am still working on getting you your birthday gift, but if it makes you feel better I have only gotten my half birthday gift the last two years running.
Let me tell you ZiLi's pliers are wonderful and I don't know how I ever got along without them.

The person who steps up to be coordinator if the club runs again will have to be patient, inventive and a better communicator than I have been. I truly hope this club will keep on going.

Ask questions.
Try new things.
Share what you know.

MailleCode V2.0 T5.3 R4.4 E0.0 Feur MFe.sBr Wg Cwb G.7-5.1 I3.1-11 N20.5 Pj Dcdjt Xa1w2 S08

Submissions: 0

Posted on Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:54 am

I'm interested in making an attempt at this, but only as an assistant. My own life is too unpredictable (and at times, endlessly busy) for me to be the coordinator. I hope it settles down after college.

As far as committing and dropping out goes, did you ever actually call the people who dropped off the the forum? Phone number was on the form right? Perhaps make it a required part?

Posted on Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:10 pm

It was either phone number or email....however, most people gave their phone numbers. Now the problem with this is that several of the people were outside of the US. I don't have foreign calling on my phone...nor do i want it on my phone because let's face it, calling abroad is #$*ing expensive. It's also as awkward as hell (at least for me since I have a bit of social anxiety disorder ABHOR trying to talk to people on phones) to call someone and say "Why didn't you send your birthday club item?" I did email the one person who actually gave it instead of a phone number and that email was never answered. I guess it's a judgement that whoever steps up to take this on will have to make on how they want to handle it.

Posted on Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:35 pm

I completely understand. Perhaps this year we ask for both?

Posted on Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:50 am

I actually put down in my notes that it should be an e-mail for reasons that Jax stated and most people have multiple e-mails they could contact

Ask questions.
Try new things.
Share what you know.

Submissions: 65

Posted on Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:18 am

Hi, I'd been keen to participate again next year and possibly as an admin. My own gift to someone appears to have disappeared into the US postage system which is the second package I have lost this year to the US, so I'd like another option for getting things to people from here. I am going back to the US in September 2013, so maybe I could carry it over and send from there......

Anyhow, I'd like to see Birthday Club continue.

Kelly Clitheroe
Maille_Fantasy

Maille Fantasy
What we do in life echoes in eternity-Maximus Decimus Meridius (Gladiator 2000)

Posted on Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:11 am

I know it costs more money, but Fedex is in pretty much every developed country in the world, correct? If you have a Fedex in Australia you could see how much they would charge for shipping.

Submissions: 20

Posted on Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:06 am

Maille_Fantasy wrote:
Hi, I'd been keen to participate again next year and possibly as an admin. My own gift to someone appears to have disappeared into the US postage system which is the second package I have lost this year to the US, so I'd like another option for getting things to people from here. I am going back to the US in September 2013, so maybe I could carry it over and send from there......

Anyhow, I'd like to see Birthday Club continue.

USPS is a black hole once things cross the border from any other country...

CanadaPost even, will refuse to give any estimates on ETA once USPS has it in their hands... Nor will they assist on tracking it down until it's passed the "reasonable length of time where it can be assumed lost" period...

Once upon a time, civilization had a good mail system... But then Rome fell.

Useful Links
Site Help: [ BBCode Help | Weave AR/Ring Size Popup | Login Issues ]
Weave AR Search is back: Try it out!

Posted on Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:29 pm

Daemon_Lotos wrote:

Once upon a time, civilization had a good mail system... But then Rome fell.

Bwahaha, isn't THAT the truth! I suppose one could spend more for the courriers (FedEx, DHL, etc) but they certainly have their own issues...and in my experience, the less said about UPS, the better.

Posted on Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:53 pm

It seems that nobody wants to step up and run the birthday club for this year.

I would like to say thank you to all the people who have participated over the last 5 years and for all those people who were coordinators or assistant coordinators over those last 5 years. If anybody would ever like to revive the club let me know and I will pass on the files that were passed on to me.

Ask questions.
Try new things.
Share what you know.

Posted on Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:47 pm

Maybe a year off would be a good thing. Let everyone recharge, regroup and shoot again for 2014? That way if someone wanted to run it, they could get a start in November or December and give folks who get partners with birthdays early in the year more time?

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1