Submissions: 0

Hauberk Tube
Posted on Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:22 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

Hello all Smile

In regards to this article:
http://www.mailleartisans.org/articles/articledisplay.cgi?key=6844

Quote:
How big should [the main hauberk section] be? It should be as big around as your chest measurement plus ten inches, measured with the mail at its fullest stretch

Can anybody verify this? Common sense tells me 10'/25cm would make it too wide. I understand the need for a lot of slack but could somebody clarify this measurement, as I'm an unashamed newbie. Smile

I'd be grateful for further instruction.

Regards
Atelier

Submissions: 150

Posted on Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:41 pm

You have shoulders, yes? So (let) just measure around your shoulders, and compare the chest plus 10" (not 10' as in your post) and shoulder data. You will notice, that the rule-of-thumb formula works fairly well.

And btw: If you plan to wear a padded gambeson below the hauberk, take it into account, by measuring while wearing it.

-ZiLi-

Maille Code V2.0 T7.1 R5.6 Ep Fper Mfe.s Ws$ Cpbsw$ G0.3-6.4 I1.0-30.0 N28.25 Pj Dacdejst Xagtw S08 Hi

Human societies are like chain mail.
A single link will be worth nothing.
A chain is of use, but will break at the weakest link.
A weak weave will have the need to replace weak links.
A strong weave will survive even with weak links included.
-'me

Submissions: 6

Posted on Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:48 pm

Welcome,

I can confirm this is about right. Remember that 10 inches of length (circumference) does not equal 10 inches of diameter. If you have a 42" chest, for instance, and you make the tube with a length (circumference) of 52", then the equivalent diameter (assuming you are cylindrical, which you probably aren't, but it works for a ballpark) of your chest is about 13.4 inches in diameter. Your 52" (at maximum stretch, mind you) hauberk will be 16.5" in diameter, giving you about 1.5 inches of clearance all the way around, which is perfect since it can shift and move with you, and gives you room to wear a little padding under your 'berk, though as ZiLi mentions you should measure with your gambeson on if you are using one.

And don't forget, the mail will "suck in" to fit if you are wearing it in the proper orientation. You do not want to be wearing maille at full stretch - you will lose flexibility, which defeats the purpose of maille...

Good luck with the project!

Andre "Ironband" Miron
West Coast Chainmail - saw cut loose links and more!
www.chainmaildude.com

Submissions: 0

Posted on Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:01 pm

What he said. Very Happy Zili, you also beat me to the 10 feet/10 inches gag.

Anyway, more to the point, mail doesn't stretch, that's why you need to make it with plenty of slack. It needs to go over an arming jack (gambeson, etc, as long as you intend to use it for armour), expand as you breathe, be flexible enough that you can still move (and/or fight) in it, and finally it has to go over your shoulders to get it on and off.

And an extra 10 inches "wide" isn't all that much when you remember that a person is actually a 3-dimensional shape. By the time you actually wear it, it won't seem nearly as "wide" as it does lying flat on your workbench. (EDIT: Thanks Ironband, your explanantion is much better than mine, as always).

Still, how far have you got? It sounds like you're using the barrel-and-straps method, or at least something similar, so if you've completed a few inches of the "tube," try putting it on, like it was a complete 'berk. See how it fits over your shoulders, chest, waist and hips. If you're built like the the proverbial rake, it may already be too big. If you're the other end of the spectrum, you may need to expand it further.

And believe me, it's much easier finding that out (and fixing it!) now than when it's finished!

"I think I know what I did wrong!"

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1