Help identifying a maille weave
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Wire Arts

Submissions: 0

Help identifying a maille weave
Posted on Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:05 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

Hi everyone. I apologize for registering for this site just to ask one question, but I've been pouring over the internet for days and I just can't seem to find the answer I am looking for. I also apologize if this thread is in the wrong place, but this particular sub forum seemed the most active so I will chance it.

I'm a hobby costumer who likes recreating costumes from movies and television. My current project is Daenerys from HBO's Game of Thrones. Her wedding dress has what appears to be some kind of metal weave or maille, but it is one I am totally unfamiliar with and everyone I have asked has given me this look: Confused Image linked below:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jinyo/6164027441/sizes/l/in/set-72157627708835424/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jinyo/6164573492/sizes/l/in/set-72157627708835424/

I'm no maille expert but I can do a Euro 4-1, so I'm not a total noob. At first I though this was a type of woven wire, made with anywhere from 1 to 8 strands of wire. But my second guess, which I think might be more likely, is that it is a series of figure 8/infinity jump rings linked together. Does anyone else agree or does anyone think it might be something else?

If this is a case of figure 8 rings, I have had a hard time locating a place that sells pre made rings. Does anyone know if there are any places that fabricate figure 8 rings? And is there anyone that might be able to decipher this particular pattern of weave?

And if it's not a maille pattern, and instead a wire weave, any idea how to recreate it?

Thanks to anyone who can offer their two cents on the matter, it has really stumped me and I don't want to have to resort to faking it. I take accuracy very seriously!

Submissions: 5

Posted on Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:00 pm

It looks more like a continuous wire instead of separate links. Sort of like a figure 8, but crosses over at both the top and bottom, so a 3 loop figure 8.

I come in pieces.

Posted on Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:50 pm

I agree it looks to me to be some form of wire art. Some one on this site should be able to help you, but sadly im a tad inexperienced with wire art of that caliber.

Hex

Submissions: 97

Posted on Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:06 pm

Shea, that's not a chainmaille weave. It is likely a type of continuous one-strand wire-weave.

Insistence is futile.

We are the Quartz, lower your shovels and surrender your rocks. We will add your gemological and mineralogical distinctiveness to our own. You will adapt to service us. Resistance is rutile.

Handmaden Designs LLC
Facebook
Twitter
Pinterest
Handmade Artists Shop
Author Website

Posted on Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:40 pm

Agreed, after looking at a different picture I see that it is not a maille weave but a continuous wire weave.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/evilbenius/5976050916/sizes/o/in/photostream/

It would make me happy if it was just one wire, but after studying it a bit I'm wondering whether it is 4 wires woven together. I feel I am close to deciphering this weave but if anyone has suggestions or links to resources that are relevant to continuous wire weaves I would be forever grateful! Thank you so much for your input so far!

Here's a few links to some of the costumes I've done. Hoping to add Daenerys to the complete list!

http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2185812/
http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2646906/
http://www.cosplay.com/photo/1222422/ (This is the costume I learned the Euro 4-1 for)

Posted on Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:50 pm

VERY nicely done costumes. May I ask is this a profession for you or just a hobby? Do you also have a close up of your E4-1 on that last one?

Hex

Submissions: 1

Posted on Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:01 pm

It looks to me like it is one continuous piece of wire. Good luck on getting it figured out and be sure to post pictures when you do.

Maille Code V2.0 T4.1 R3.7 Eo.f Fhp4.1 MAl.a W$ C$ G0.8-1.6 I4.0-6.4 N6.4 Pj Djt Xg3 S10

Posted on Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:07 pm

I am a professional artist (employed as a caricature and letterbrush artist at Sea World San Diego and I also do freelance work), so costuming became an extension of my artistic expression. I never pursued it as a career because honestly, I couldn't stand the idea of slaving over a costume only to have someone else (who would never be able to fully appreciate the work and labor that went into making it) wear it and have all the fun. I wanna be the one to wear it! Razz

Here's a bigger picture of the maille I made for my Fran costume:

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s55/rurouni_jedi/Miscellaneous/89df71d6.jpg

I used an anodized black aluminum, I think. I'm sure to the expert eye there are several mistakes but I got pretty quick after the first 5 hours. Laughing

Posted on Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:11 pm

Also, this is what I came up with earlier today:

I don't know if it reads any better than the pictures but I feel like I am so close! D: I just don't know how to make it a physical reality... Should I make a peg board or something? ;_;

Submissions: 3

Posted on Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:55 am

Ummm... I'm not sure how much help it will be, but I found some stuff that looks similar, one could technically be called maille since it does use rings (just in a figure 8 ) but the other is definitely wire weaving.

http://www.loishill.com/techniques.php

The Figure 8 Weave and the Single Wire Weave look like they may be promising. With some tweaking, and only using 2-3 wire for the single wire weave thing, I think you could make the pieces of the costume. I would recommend using dead-soft craft wire in 24g-26g around 12g-10g guide wires. A middle wire would help give the middle part of it some structure. Use a hammer to get the beaten look unless you go with a wire that is a solid gray/white metal, then you can file it to get the beaten look.

Unfortunately, you don't get a real good long look at the techniques used for either of the weaves used on the site I linked to. I would almost say you could use a 2-loop viking knit and hammer it, but this doesn't look like that. Something similar with the 2-loop viking might work in a mid-gauge (like 20-18g ) if it was then drawn through a rectangular hole in a draw plate and hammered. I don't have any dead soft 20g craft wire or I would try it out for you.

If you decide to try the viking knit, I would use a large dowel to get the wider look of it. A 2-loop knit is going to want to draw down into a tiny chain, so you'd have to compensate for it with bigger wire and a larger mandrel. You could also make it on a (dull) chisel or something with a rectangular profile, that way you're not fighting a round tube when you pull it through the draw plate.

I want to try this now. Darnit. Means I have to go get wire...

Submissions: 15

Posted on Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:17 am

Upon studying the images you've provided I believe that your diagram is accurate in both the path of the wires and the number of them. Good Luck! Smile

Submissions: 11

Posted on Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:40 am

VikingJones wrote:
Ummm... I'm not sure how much help it will be, but I found some stuff that looks similar, one could technically be called maille since it does use rings (just in a figure 8 ) but the other is definitely wire weaving.

Wow, that is freaking stunning. *drools*

Posted on Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:52 am

Thank you for all the help!!! I'm on my iPhone right now so I can't look at the flash site but I will do so as soon as I get home. Thank you again, everyone! I'll keep people posted and please feel free to contribute if you have ideas! I'm feeling less discouraged already!

Posted on Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:39 am

OMG THIS IS AMAZING. Thank you so much for finding this, I would have never been able to locate this!! VERY useful!

VikingJones wrote:

http://www.loishill.com/techniques.php

The Figure 8 Weave and the Single Wire Weave look like they may be promising. With some tweaking, and only using 2-3 wire for the single wire weave thing, I think you could make the pieces of the costume. I would recommend using dead-soft craft wire in 24g-26g around 12g-10g guide wires. A middle wire would help give the middle part of it some structure. Use a hammer to get the beaten look unless you go with a wire that is a solid gray/white metal, then you can file it to get the beaten look.

Unfortunately, you don't get a real good long look at the techniques used for either of the weaves used on the site I linked to. I would almost say you could use a 2-loop viking knit and hammer it, but this doesn't look like that. Something similar with the 2-loop viking might work in a mid-gauge (like 20-18g ) if it was then drawn through a rectangular hole in a draw plate and hammered. I don't have any dead soft 20g craft wire or I would try it out for you.

If you decide to try the viking knit, I would use a large dowel to get the wider look of it. A 2-loop knit is going to want to draw down into a tiny chain, so you'd have to compensate for it with bigger wire and a larger mandrel. You could also make it on a (dull) chisel or something with a rectangular profile, that way you're not fighting a round tube when you pull it through the draw plate.

I want to try this now. Darnit. Means I have to go get wire...

Posted on Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:18 am

Exciting news! I was able to recreate the weave pattern with some colored thread to guide me. I MacGuyvered it pretty bad with chopsticks and paper clips as my tools but now that I was able to get a grip on the weave I will go ahead and purchase some wire.

Will 24g craft wire be strong enough for this? Is there a high likelyhood that I will have to solder the back to prevent it from stretching out?

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 3. Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next