Oh, DL, you're just nuts!
9%
 9%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 22

Submissions: 20

Proposal: New Sub-Forum (Gatherings)
Posted on Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:31 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

I was browsing TRLf today, digging for something I remember in an old Gathering thread, and I got to thinking...

So we have the "Gatherings" section of the site... But nobody ever uses it... But I'm not convinced most people know it's there...

Would you (The Membership) like a 'Gatherings' forum, to meet local folk... Arrange small get togethers, what have you?

Or am I just nuts?

Submissions: 79

Posted on Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:32 am

this question is phrased oddly

isn't the real question, "would you like to transfer the gatherings section of MAIL into the forum and out of http://www.mailleartisans.org/gather/ ?"

yes.. the area is empty, anyway.. i say just do it.

what about calling it "groups and gatherings" and combine it with the teaching groups area..?

PSA: remember to stretch.
3.o is fixing everything.

Submissions: 42

Posted on Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:31 am

Couldn't it just be accomplished when the tagging system goes to the threads? You can than check for the 'Gathering' tag.

There don't seem to really be a lot of gatherings although I can see how a forum dedicated to gatherings might increase traffic.

Another thought would be if you could click on a link, similar to the watch this thread link, that would put a link on that item in your home page. Just thinking out loud feel free to shoot me later.

Once you stop learning, you stop living, so...
Ask questions.
Try new things.
Share what you know.

MailleCode V2.0 T5.3 R4.4 E0.0 Feur MFe.sBr Wg Cwb G.7-5.1 I3.1-11 N20.5 Pj Dcdjt Xa1w2 S08

Submissions: 149

Posted on Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:43 am

I tend to second Chao's proposal, but MM's one deserves a second thought. Maybe (parts of) both can be combined.

So there's not yet a vote from my side - neither yay nor nay...

-ZiLi-

Maille Code V2.0 T7.1 R5.6 Ep Fper MAl Ws$ Cpbsw$ G0.3-6.4 I1.0-30.0 N28.25 Ps Dacdejst Xagtw S08 Hip

Human societies are like chain mail.
A single link will be worth nothing.
A chain is of use, but will break at the weakest link.
A weak weave will have the need to replace weak links.
A strong weave will survive even with weak links included.
-'me

Posted on Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:46 pm

MusicMan wrote:
Couldn't it just be accomplished when the tagging system goes to the threads? You can than check for the 'Gathering' tag.

There don't seem to really be a lot of gatherings although I can see how a forum dedicated to gatherings might increase traffic.

Another thought would be if you could click on a link, similar to the watch this thread link, that would put a link on that item in your home page. Just thinking out loud feel free to shoot me later.

I think you're misunderstanding how one might tag posts... Though, to be honest, I'm not 100% on it myself yet Coif LoL
*BANG*

>.>
<.<

In other news...

Re: The idea of merging "Teaching Groups" into this... I'm against the idea, and I'll tell you why Very Happy

Currently, the Teaching Groups layout is a mess... But it's on my hitlist.
Having Teachers itemized in a database allows sorting and searching on a MUCH more efficient level than a Forum...
Teaching Groups are also not exactly 'Discussion' oriented... It's a posting "Hey, I'm free to teach people, email me at:"

Gatherings, on the other hand, is very much discussion oriented... "Hey, looking to set up a get together in Portland area, who's in?" And lends itself very well to the way a discussion forum lays things out... Most recent post at the top, etc.
Gatherings should really never have been a Site Database subsection... It's really just a silly place to put it that will rarely (if ever) be seen.
(And the lack of entries in it bears witness to same.)

My two bits.

Posted on Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:26 pm

Daemon_Lotos wrote:
MusicMan wrote:

I think you're misunderstanding how one might tag posts... Though, to be honest, I'm not 100% on it myself yet Coif LoL
*BANG*

Probably correct that I don't understand what the . I envisioned tagging of a thread similar to a picture or a weave. For example, this thread may have the tags of 'league business', 'survey', 'gatherings'... These tags could be added and than searched using those guidelines it they were set tags or just tags that the person starting the thread or admin could apply to the thread.

Ask questions.
Try new things.
Share what you know.

MailleCode V2.0 T5.3 R4.4 E0.0 Feur MFe.sBr Wg Cwb G.7-5.1 I3.1-11 N20.5 Pj Dcdjt Xa1w2 S08

Posted on Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:28 pm

On a related thought where do you envision the sub-forum being placed?

Ask questions.
Try new things.
Share what you know.

Submissions: 149

Posted on Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:40 pm

FYI: I just cast a YES vote.

I did this, as I think now, that a discussion forum is just a much more natural place for such as a quasi-static location. Gatherings need communication in a more complex than unidirectional one-to-many manner without direct in-place return channel.

-ZiLi-

Maille Code V2.0 T7.1 R5.6 Ep Fper MAl Ws$ Cpbsw$ G0.3-6.4 I1.0-30.0 N28.25 Ps Dacdejst Xagtw S08 Hip

Human societies are like chain mail.
A single link will be worth nothing.
A chain is of use, but will break at the weakest link.
A weak weave will have the need to replace weak links.
A strong weave will survive even with weak links included.
-'me

Posted on Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:37 pm

I will also go ahead and say Yes. It only adds to DL's workload to set it up, which since it was your idea you probably don't mind. I just hope this will not start a desire for other specialty forums, like a history forum. But even as I write this I can see how this is an active and potentially useful sub-forum so I say go for it.

Ask questions.
Try new things.
Share what you know.

Posted on Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:25 am

I'm curious about the two "No" votes that have shown up Smile

Speak your mind folks! I'm just as interested in WHY you voted the way that you did, as I am in how you feel.

Sidenote: Also a litle upset that no-one voted for me being crazy Coif LoL

Posted on Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:26 am

Daemon_Lotos wrote:
Sidenote: Also a litle upset that no-one voted for me being crazy Coif LoL

If I could have voted twice I would have included that so I only hinted at it in my response. Wink You know your limits.

Ask questions.
Try new things.
Share what you know.

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1