help with ring count estimate?
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 15

help with ring count estimate?
Posted on Tue May 24, 2011 7:29 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

I recently had someone ask me if I could make them a pair of elbow length chainmail gloves. I am fairly new to chainmail, most of my pieces being basic jewelry and my largest project so far being one of the euro 4n1 pouches. That being said, I'm still not very good at estimating ring count. I was thinking of making the gloves out of TRL's 18g stainless (customer requested stainless) with a .25" ID in either a euro 4n1 or euro 6n1 (if I would be better off with a different ring size, let me know, I am open to suggestions). Can anyone help me figure out approximately how many rings this will take so I know how much wire to purchase? Thanks ahead of time for any help!

Submissions: 149

Posted on Tue May 24, 2011 8:50 pm

Ummm. Even I as somewhat experienced mailler would hesitate to accept a commission for a piece that is far beyond my current experience range - a bit beyond maybe, but nothing really much more sophisticated as I did before. Somehow I feel that project may become a bit too complicated for your current abilities, or the result won't be as satisfying as you and your customer wish - especially gloves are NOT an easy, straightforward affair; just think about the number of knuckles that must not become impaired in their movement, while at the same time the glove must not sit too loose, to stay halfways convenient.

So based on your experience info you gave us, I somewhat hesitate to give you a tip about ring selection, ring count and weave(s) to be used, despite knowing some estimates and data of existing, successful pieces. But maybe someone else, who has already made gloves, is willing to share knowledge without having my objections, and you may profit from.

Sorry, but I simply fear to give bad advice - I had not yet the chuzpe to attempt weaving gloves, and currently would deny such a commission, if I was asked to make some - until I had made my first, own pair, and had succeeded...

-ZiLi-

Maille Code V2.0 T7.1 R5.6 Ep Fper MAl Ws$ Cpbsw$ G0.3-6.4 I1.0-30.0 N28.25 Ps Dacdejst Xagtw S08 Hip

Human societies are like chain mail.
A single link will be worth nothing.
A chain is of use, but will break at the weakest link.
A weak weave will have the need to replace weak links.
A strong weave will survive even with weak links included.
-'me

Submissions: 106

Posted on Tue May 24, 2011 9:34 pm

You have to plan the project out first. Figure out what weave you are going to do, and what size rings you are going to use. That's going to take lots of trial and error and practice, and then you have to get the customer's "okay" that they like the weave and how it looks. Then, it's like measuring a room for wallpaper. Not counting windows or doorways/holes in the item you are making, figure out the square footage/inch-age/cm-age it will take to cover that area/body-part. Measure out a square foot/inch/centimeter on your test piece and count how many rings are in it. Multiply that by the number of square feet/inches/centimeters you need. Add about 10% for error/dud rings/acts of god.

As an example, if it takes about the size of an 8 by 11 inch sheet of paper to cover the person's arm and hand all the way around (complete wild-ass guess), then I need 88 (8 X 11) square inches of maille. If my test piece has 40 rings in a square inch (again, a completely out-of-my-behind guess), then I need 3520 rings (40 X 88 ) PLUS an extra 350 for screw-ups. If I'm really really unsure, then I add on at least another 10% for royal screw-ups. And if I'm making TWO of something (like gloves/earrings) then I double that. Sooooo, then I order/make 8,500 rings and pray to [insert deity of your choice here] that I'm right... and start weaving.

Oh, and get some money up-front to cover the cost of materials before you agree to actually do the commission. That way, if they flake out on you, you can hand them the rings they bought and say "fine, make it your damn self then."

~not at ALL cynical Lorraine

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Submissions: 11

Posted on Wed May 25, 2011 12:53 pm

lorraine wrote:
Oh, and get some money up-front to cover the cost of materials before you agree to actually do the commission. That way, if they flake out on you, you can hand them the rings they bought and say "fine, make it your damn self then."

That just made me LOL. I really wish I could do that in my real job. Or at least the equivalent. Coif LoL

Submissions: 388

gloves
Posted on Wed May 25, 2011 10:50 pm

hello,

like zili said, this is an ambitious project that will take some time. we need to know more about the commission. what are they going to be used for? what is the client expecting to pay? how much time do you have? are you capable of doing this project to the clients wishes? do they like a tight weave, or do they want to save money?

18swg with 1/4" id is loose by my standards, others would disagree. loose is good if: you want to save money and time, the customer wants a loose product that moves easily. if the customer is taking this to battle, you might want to step is up to 16swg with 1/4" id. that ar has a good armor class in stainless.

seriously, if i was going to do that commission, it would be around $3000. not many people out there will pay that, but it would take me a month to do. you also have to figure on sizing and re-sizing, trying to fit someone's hand correctly. for me, there would most likely be about 3 fittings before it was done right.

your customer is probably expecting to pay $200 at most. if you decide to do it in 18swg at that price, you will be very upset with yourself. i am a big proponent of putting more value in chainmaille art. raise the bar, don't work for less than you are worth. end rant.

Submissions: 15

Posted on Thu May 26, 2011 6:16 am

Thanks for all the input and tips. Really gives me some food for thought and I appreciate the honest feedback Smile

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1