BOD members
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> League Business

Submissions: 79

BOD members
Posted on Sat Apr 30, 2011 3:23 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

ok.. we end up with a lot of inactive BOD members.. we need a system to cycle inactive members out and active members in.

lorraine suggested to me a check box.. or buttons like our polls use..
"yes, i'm still here to help!"
and
"i just don't have the time anymore."

liberal time limit.. ~ 1 year..

send out notifications at 11 months?

occasionally reset the counter based on performing an administrative duty? not sure how feasible this is...

anyway... thoughts on this?

one option might be to remove them from the active lists but allow them to retain their voting rights..

could someone who understands the arguments against BOD bloat explain why we might not want that?

PSA: remember to stretch.
3.o is fixing everything.

Submissions: 149

Posted on Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:07 am

In my personal opinion I can live well with inactive BOD members. So as long as some BOD member does not declare her/himself as being not more member of the BOD group, (s)he should simply remain BOD member.

Problematic can be votings, if a quorum has to be reached for the vote being valid at all. Here the quorum rules should be imho based upon activity during the past year; as long as a BOD member showed any activity in admins' discussion boards, or fulfilled administrative activities in that time frame (in doubt even a single forum post somewhere that shows (s)he acts as admin counts), this member should be included - who wasn't should be off the table. And I think that even BOD members that weren't active for years, should be able to revive their 'active' status on their own, simply by acting again - only the ones who once elected on their own to leave the BOD should not have that possibility, and be subject to reelection if they wish to reenter the BOD.

There are some additional thougths I just cannot cast into sentences that make sense yet, but that may come somewhen.

-ZiLi-

Maille Code V2.0 T7.1 R5.6 Ep Fper MAl Ws$ Cpbsw$ G0.3-6.4 I1.0-30.0 N28.25 Ps Dacdejst Xagtw S08 Hip

Human societies are like chain mail.
A single link will be worth nothing.
A chain is of use, but will break at the weakest link.
A weak weave will have the need to replace weak links.
A strong weave will survive even with weak links included.
-'me

Posted on Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:59 pm

when someone goes to our BOD page they still see cynake as a person who they might want to contact in regards to this site.

i'm not proposing demoting anyone, but our "who is in charge" list should be updatedish.

i propose sending out a simple PM to each member listed on the BOD page.

"we are updating our BOD list. you are listed as XXXXXXX on the board of directors. reply to this email if you are still interested in doing this job."

give people 3 weeks to reply. after that, temporarily remove them from the list.. we don't need to demote them, just shuffle them off to "lost in time" or whatever makes sense.

at any time they can come back and say, "here i am"...

Submissions: 20

Posted on Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:43 pm

sakredchao wrote:
when someone goes to our BOD page they still see cynake as a person who they might want to contact in regards to this site.

i'm not proposing demoting anyone, but our "who is in charge" list should be updatedish.

i propose sending out a simple PM to each member listed on the BOD page.

"we are updating our BOD list. you are listed as XXXXXXX on the board of directors. reply to this email if you are still interested in doing this job."

give people 3 weeks to reply. after that, temporarily remove them from the list.. we don't need to demote them, just shuffle them off to "lost in time" or whatever makes sense.

at any time they can come back and say, "here i am"...

Blaise used to "Lost in Time" people periodically after an unspecified period of inactivity... I removed the ability to alter membertags when I updated the Admin Page, and it got shuffled to the bottom of my list... This is probably why it's so backed up.

Rather than sending out PM's, I re-propose going through the Admin List, and anyone who hasn't signed in in six months, gets shuffled to the inactive roster.

Posted on Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:32 am

after some IRC huddle, i sent a PM to everyone in the active list:

"this is a form letter going out to everyone currently on the BOD, including myself.

hello, you are currently listed as being ________ on the board of directors here at MAIL.

are you still interested in holding this position?

do you need any help? (an assistant)

if you would like to continue to help with the BOD, but would like a different duty, what would that be?

if you are busy or unable to fill the position, we thank you for all of your help. no hard feelings, we promise.

not replying to this message within 3 weeks time may result in your name being removed from the lists of "active admins" you will not be "demoted". however, we would like to try to keep the lists of BOD members that the public can contact as updated as possible.

if you find this message after the three weeks, and would still like to be listed on the active admin list for people to contact when they have questions, feel free to reply to this and we'll reinstate you."

Submissions: 8

Posted on Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:54 am

sakredchao, reply sent.

I'll chime in in favor of re-instituting the 'Lost in Time' designation. Some times life gets in the way of more important things. Some times it's only for a time and some times for longer. This status can be applied if the BOD member has not logged in after some pre-determined period of time and without the member requesting or authorizing it – provided it passes a vote to institute it as a formal policy and the policy is published in advance. Should a ‘Lost in Time’ member come back around they probably should be changed to ‘BOD Emirates’ upon logging back in. (Details in a couple of paragraphs…) But full reactivation should be the subject of some discussion as their previous job may have been filled in their absence.

I would also suggest a couple of new designations be added:

'BOD - Retired' if someone wants to formally resign. Retired BOD members are still listed as having been on the BOD, but can no longer vote as active BOD members, nor can they comment in the admin area. This has to be the member's choice and communicated to more than one active BOD member to take effect. This to prevent even the appearance of impropriety in someone's status being changed to 'BOD - Retired.'

In the unlikely event that someone should get fired by a vote of the active BOD their position as having been a member of the BOD may need to be expunged. This is something that should happen only in the gravest of circumstances and probably should require more than a simple majority vote to accomplish. Kind of the equivalent of impeaching a president or judge here in the US of A.

If a member of the BOD decides not to be active on a day to day basis but they are still around and semi-active in an administrative capacity we could create a sort of a 'BOD Emeritus' where they can still vote and comment in the admin area but may not be as involved in the day to day operations of the site as they once were. Their opinions are still valued as elders of the community, and they still want to contribute, but they may simply not have the time any more, or at the moment, to be as active as they once were. Someone who’s status is ‘BOD Emeritus’ would not be actively approving gallery submittals or articles or be tasked with other day to day maintenance activities. They would likely issue an occasional ‘now kids, play nice’ in the boards should that be needed when they happen to be around (and they would still have the power to make it stick if needs be) but they are mostly acting as elders at this point rather than managers. From Emeritus it would be easy to reactivate to Active status should the member’s situation change such that they can put in the time needed to be an active BOD member. That said their old job will have been filled and unless it’s become available they would be assigned to a different roll than they may have had previously.

Just my thoughts on the subject. I haven’t checked the charter to see if or how much of this may already be in place.

"Do not go where the path may lead,
go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
– Ralph Waldo Emerson

My blog: The (New) Eclectic Dragonfly. Some of my stuff at CafePress!

Posted on Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:02 am || Last edited by sakredchao on Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:12 am; edited 1 time in total

i wouldn't want to remove anyones right to vote, we get so very few BOD votes on any sort of issue that anyone willing to lend an opinion is valuable. (in my valuable opinion)

the "active lists" are mostly about who the membership should contact with problems or questions... and who has the primary jurisdiction in areas of adminning.. ie, i was once the weaves admin. i should not be mucking around in the weaves, because it's no longer my baby.

i am of the mind, once BOD always BOD. unless, as HBG suggests, someone were to get fired.. usually there is no firing, there is frustration and quitting. by "usually", i mean never once has someone been fired.

Submissions: 8

Posted on Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:09 am

I was mostly thinking in terms of having an organized way for members to sort out who's active, who's not been around for a while for whatever reason, who's formally not around any more and if someone's still around but not active day to day. It can get confusing...

"Do not go where the path may lead,
go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
– Ralph Waldo Emerson

My blog: The (New) Eclectic Dragonfly. Some of my stuff at CafePress!

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1