need help with hp3n1 sheet6
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Weaves Discussion

Submissions: 0

need help with hp3n1 sheet6
Posted on Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:41 am
Link to Post: Link to Post

hey all, trying to make my first bowl. i got the sides done in hp3n1 sheet 6 but i cant figure out how to close it on its self. I looked around to site but i cant find any info on how to close it. Anyone with a good tutorial or pictures that could help me out would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks all, stomps

Submissions: 106

Posted on Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:02 am

I would start by learning how to join a chain of Half Persian 3 in 1 first.
Joining Half Persian 3 in 1 (from CGMaille)
or
http://cgmaille.com/tutorials/joinhp3-1.shtml
should help.

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Submissions: 20

Posted on Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:30 am

What lorraine said Smile

The join is NOT easy to do... Even once you know how, trust me on this.

I have to re-teach myself how to do it every time, and screw it up a good ten or fifteen times, and end up cursing a blue streak, before I finally get it...

Next time I find myself doing it, I should put a tutorial together...
I loves me some HP3in1S6
Pictures are tricky, as weaving is VERY fiddly... As it is, I often find myself wishing I had three hands as I join it... Let alone manage pictures...

I will also warn you that due to it's unique trapezoidal cross-section, the join may look a little funny, and need fiddling to get to sit right.
I've never done a basket myself... But I imagine it's gonna be a bit tricky...

Good luck!

Submissions: 0

Posted on Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:29 am

Yeah been staring at the sheet for about 2 days now and the only thing I've gotten is cross eyed.lol put a ring in the take the dam thing out. BLAHHHH
i do know how to join all the Persian weave as a chain but when u put it into a sheet everything goes crazy on the eyes.
oh well guess ill look at it some more and wait for it to come to me.
Thanks all, stomps

Submissions: 20

Posted on Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:48 am

stomperz wrote:
Yeah been staring at the sheet for about 2 days now and the only thing I've gotten is cross eyed.lol put a ring in the take the dam thing out. BLAHHHH
i do know how to join all the Persian weave as a chain but when u put it into a sheet everything goes crazy on the eyes.
oh well guess ill look at it some more and wait for it to come to me.
Thanks all, stomps

It's possible that both edges of your sheet that you are trying to join are 'finished'... That is, adding an extra ring to join won't help unless you've removed a ring first to give the new ring a place to live...

Instead of adding a ring at all, try opening one of the closed rings on one edge, and then remove a ring from the other edge and put the newly opened ring in its place.

Food for thought.

Submissions: 149

Posted on Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:41 pm

Joining HP3S6 seems to be NOT MORE so difficult for me - at least if woven 'straight'. But I remember times I had massive difficulties doing that - when I joined my first 5-column GSG-style HP3S6 I needed over an hour then, to set these damned five connection rings.

In the meanwhile I found out what helps. It is NOT to begin at the border when joining, but to chose a 2nd-column or farther inside ring, as here the number of 'grabbed' rings can be counted, and already the first connector ring affixes the joint ends in the right position and orientation - that is not necessarily given if the join is started with a border ring. And so simply line up the sheet ends, with their last ring rows having the rings in same orientation, and edges lined up, preferrably flat lying on a table (the piece, not the mailler) Very Happy - and then begin with through the eye side A, around the eye side A grabbing the third ring here, through the eye side B, and last but not least around the eye side B grabbing the third ring there - in effect finishing the first join ring, having grabbed six rings total. The remaining ones are a piece of cake then, as the pattern can be followed easily then, in the Persian stacked manner. If you run into problems, try to use a slightly larger ring for the first joint; it can be removed after the next, right sized ring is set - that can make things a bit easier...

BTW: I have made some biased HP3S6 pieces (see my profile, Gallery submissions), and also had to join them - these are REALLY difficult to join, even for me (one four-and-a-half column double-biased finger ring I began weeks ago isn't joined yet)...

-ZiLi-

Maille Code V2.0 T7.1 R5.6 Ep Fper MAl Ws$ Cpbsw$ G0.3-6.4 I1.0-30.0 N28.25 Ps Dacdejst Xagtw S08 Hip

Human societies are like chain mail.
A single link will be worth nothing.
A chain is of use, but will break at the weakest link.
A weak weave will have the need to replace weak links.
A strong weave will survive even with weak links included.
-'me

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1