Making a Maille android app. Any ideas?
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Knitting Circle

Submissions: 12

Making a Maille android app. Any ideas?
Posted on Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:39 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

I'm working on making a maille app for android and I was hoping to get some suggestions on what to include in it. Some ideas I've already had include an a.r. calculator and a glossary of basic terms. I'm still in the development stage and haven't started building anything yet but I will post a prototype once one is ready.

Submissions: 24

Posted on Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:46 pm

A library with instructions of the more common weaves would be nice. (You would either need to make your own, or get permission from someone to use theirs)
Some weaves:
European 4i1, 6i1, 8i1
Half Persian 3 & 4 along with Full Perisan
Byzantine
Box chain
Spiral chain
Dragonscale(?)

Get most of those (Though, the more the merrier, they say Smile ) and probably some general tips for making armour and/or pictures of useful armour seams
(90 degree attachment of a mail piece to another is useful for the portion in the armpit and so is probably a 45 degree seam)

Other than that, a calculator between different measuring systems would be handy, as well as one for converting between lbs and kg.

Submissions: 0

Posted on Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:27 am

There is already an app like this for the Iphone. 99 cents to down load, I havent used it or downloaded it, but its supposed to do alot,

Submissions: 2

Posted on Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:59 am

Interestingly I started playing around with the idea of an iPhone app two or three weeks ago, so I'd love to see more people posting to this thread. Some things I find *I* want to know (and yes I realize some of these things would depend on data currently unavailable (at least on this site), not standardized, and/or subjective (i.e. "ideal" AR). For instance.

1. Given a specific weave:

- What AR(s) would work best? Max, if applicable? Min to continue the pattern indefinitely, if not a unit weave?

- If gauge (either AWG or SWG)/wire diam desired chain length (or area) specified, how many rings will be needed to complete the piece?

2. Given a specific AR, or gauge + ID (of rings you might already have lying around, or want to order in bulk to experiment with different weaves, etc.)

- Which weaves can be made with these rings?

- If gauge and #available rings known, what length of chain/area of sheet can be made?

- If multiple ring sizes available, similar type of thing (incl the single-AR/gauge weaves that can be made, or combinations of some, up to some reasonable degree of complexity)

3. I'd love to include a rough idea of the amount of springback for each ring size (gauge/ID) for each metal typically used in maille -- really a range since different alloys and hardnesses exist.

4. The various calculators people have mentioned and/or are available in iChainmaille. (Speaking of iChainmaille, I'm a little suspicious of some of the "ideal" and "minimum" ARs it contains.)

Relatedly, are there any plans to make the M.A.I.L. weaves database available (explicitly) for public use? Haven't found evidence of this, maybe I just haven't looked in the right place?

Submissions: 79

Posted on Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:08 am

symmetry wrote:
Relatedly, are there any plans to make the M.A.I.L. weaves database available (explicitly) for public use? Haven't found evidence of this, maybe I just haven't looked in the right place?

i don't think this has ever been brought up before.
this kind of thing would at least have to be approved by the BOD, if not the entire membership. personally, the only way this would get a "yes" vote out of me is if any app that accessed the MAIL database was completely free.

PSA: remember to stretch.
3.o is fixing everything.

Posted on Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:54 am

As I mentioned in my original post I'm still in the development stages, working more on the frame work for the app, and haven't started gathering any content yet. I'm not going to use any content from the site without getting permission from the original poster and I am going to seek permission from the BOD before I release the app on the Android market, And I would never dream of charging anything to download the app, I want this to be a free tool for anyone to download and use, I'm not trying to make any sort of profit from this.

Submissions: 20

Posted on Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:39 am

sakredchao wrote:
symmetry wrote:

i don't think this has ever been brought up before.
this kind of thing would at least have to be approved by the BOD, if not the entire membership. personally, the only way this would get a "yes" vote out of me is if any app that accessed the MAIL database was completely free.

Would be nice, but it can't happen.

All old data in the MAIL DB was submitted under a provision that allowed it to be displayed on the MAIL Site only. No clauses for access via authorized apps, etc.

The new AR Information, Weave Tags, etc... Are not part of the original submission, and this would be accessible... But the descriptions and pictures are a no-go... Basically, the meat of the meal.

Certain lookup tables, and calculations that I have created for MAIL, would be fair game, and I'd be willing to share these under the right circumstances, however.

Useful Links
Site Help: [ BBCode Help | Weave AR/Ring Size Popup | Login Issues ]
Weave AR Search is back: Try it out!

Submissions: 2

Posted on Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:01 am

I was thinking of something free as well; I'm looking for the right project to resharpen my coding skills after several years away from the industry for medical reasons. (having a real salary again would be all the compensation I need :)

Submissions: 79

Posted on Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:32 pm

there are people who are putting together a maille wiki, aren't there? i wonder if they would be the people to work with on this.. they may have much less restrictive policies in terms of accessing their database.

PSA: remember to stretch.
3.o is fixing everything.

Posted on Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:17 pm

I might see about working with a wiki page if I have to, but I've looked at several sites about maille and the MAIL site is the most detailed and well put together that I've found.

Posted on Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:23 pm

sakredchao wrote:
there are people who are putting together a maille wiki, aren't there? i wonder if they would be the people to work with on this.. they may have much less restrictive policies in terms of accessing their database.

Well, arguably, we have no restrictive policies in terms of access... Our restrictions are solely on what CAN be accessed. EG:

App: Requesting Information on Weave: European 4 in 1
MAIL: Ideal AR: 3.3, Minimum AR: 2.9, Tags: European, Related Articles: *series of links to articles*

It wouldn't be able to return an image, or a description...

Useful Links

Posted on Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:35 pm

Quote:
Well, arguably, we have no restrictive policies in terms of access... Our restrictions are solely on what CAN be accessed. EG:

MAIL: Ideal AR: 3.3, Minimum AR: 2.9, Tags: European, Related Articles: *series of links to articles*

So as long as the app didn't include a picture or description it wouldn't be in violation of any policies? I could include general information and links to articles on the construction of a weave, and add a note saying that if the user wants more information they should go to the MAIL website? If that's the case than I can easily work with that, I could get the info I'm allowed from MAIL and use my own pictures of the weaves I include.

Posted on Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:36 pm

metalweaver93 wrote:
Quote:

So as long as the app didn't include a picture or description it wouldn't be in violation of any policies? I could include general information and links to articles on the construction of a weave, and add a note saying that if the user wants more information they should go to the MAIL website? If that's the case than I can easily work with that, I could get the info I'm allowed from MAIL and use my own pictures of the weaves I include.

That's sort of the idea, yes.

But before you go jumping to any conclusions, please read the following caveats:

- ANY use of the MAIL Database would need to be voted on by the BOD at the minimum, and probably the membership on a whole.
- Control of the information used would have to remain with MAIL... We can't have people stripping the information they want out of the site, and using it... It wouldn't be 'current' for very long, either. Access would likely boil down to your App needing to query a Gateway script, and that Gateway script would return the data requested.
- The App itself, as chao has stated, would need to remain free... MAIL is free to the world, and so should anything that derives it's content from us be.
- If this App, or anything related to its use, caused a significant bandwidth strain on MAIL, we would need to revisit any agreement that had been set in place... We cannot afford for third-party access of the DB to cripple first-party use of the site.
- We would likely require a statement, or logo, or something to the effect of "Powered by M.A.I.L."

All of this is pure speculation, mind you, and this would need to be discussed (in depth) before it could ever come to fruition.

Useful Links

Posted on Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:26 pm

Quote:
- ANY use of the MAIL Database would need to be voted on by the BOD at the minimum, and probably the membership on a whole.
- Control of the information used would have to remain with MAIL... We can't have people stripping the information they want out of the site, and using it... It wouldn't be 'current' for very long, either. Access would likely boil down to your App needing to query a Gateway script, and that Gateway script would return the data requested.
- The App itself, as chao has stated, would need to remain free... MAIL is free to the world, and so should anything that derives it's content from us be.
- If this App, or anything related to its use, caused a significant bandwidth strain on MAIL, we would need to revisit any agreement that had been set in place... We cannot afford for third-party access of the DB to cripple first-party use of the site.
- We would likely require a statement, or logo, or something to the effect of "Powered by M.A.I.L."

Of course I would comply with any regulations or conditions concerning access to the database.
I am completely alright with leaving control over all the information with M.A.I.L, as for how the info is accessed, I'm building the app using google app inventor and they have a tool called TinyWebDB; this tool can be used to set up data storage service that can be accessed by the app, all data not built in to the app can be stored there to be accessed and downloaded at any time, also the service only returns the data found under a given tag so M.A.I.L. could choose to include only the info they would want accessed; my idea is to link the TinyWebDB service and M.A.I.L. site and let the members decide if they want their weaves, articles, ect. to be put on the service to be accessed by the app; that way ultimate control over the information remains with the membership.
Also since the info for the app is stored on an independent server there should be no effect on the bandwidth on M.A.I.L.
I would definitely include a statement and logo giving M.A.I.L. recognition for all the information used.
Finally I would never consider publishing the app unless I had the approval of the entire membership, I don't want to take credit for other peoples work.

Posted on Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:59 pm

metalweaver93 wrote:
this tool can be used to set up data storage service that can be accessed by the app, all data not built in to the app can be stored there to be accessed and downloaded at any time, also the service only returns the data found under a given tag so M.A.I.L. could choose to include only the info they would want accessed;

See, there's already a logistical headache, right there...

The big issue with a database the size of MAIL's is that no matter what, by the time you're done mirroring the information stored in it somewhere else, the original copy has already changed.

I also have a big problem (personally) with, what is essentially, a mirrored copy of a portion of the MAIL DB.

Our Database, freely accessible though it is, needs to remain where it is, and be accessed. Not download, stored, mirrored, reupload, sectioned off, or any other term you choose to use for skimming portions of the information from it and storing elsewhere... Coif LoL

The use of a Gateway script mitigates all of these problems by providing the information in real time across the internet, from a source controlled by us.

This allows us to provide all the content, without any risk inherent in allowing a local stored copy (theft, change in terms of use, breach of contract, etc)

Useful Links

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 2. Goto page 1, 2  Next