Mimic Connections
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Weaves Discussion

Submissions: 97

Mimic Connections
Posted on Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:46 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

There appear to be three main reasons for why the weave library is in the mess it is:

1) The lack of identifying and cataloging of variants and modifications as being such.
2) The Hybrid category.
3) Mimic connections (closely affiliated with Hybrid).

The weaves in Hybrid fall into one of two categories:

a)Weaves that belong to more than one family.
b)Weaves that appear to belong to more than one family, but on closer inspection belong to none of those families.

This last category is the category of mimic connections. A mimic connection is a connection of one eye type that mimics the appearance and behavior of another eye type. Magemaille is an example of this. It has a no-eye connection similar to the Japanese connection, but it mimics the appearance and behavior of European.

These mimic connection weaves often get thrown into whatever family they appear the most like and end up causing inconsistency and lack of cohesion in those families. Or, they get tossed into hybrid to be ignored as long as possible.

These are what I'm trying to identify and separate out. By removing mimic connection weaves out into their own families, we can make the families they are in now less chaotic and easier to determine what belongs in what family and why.

Insistence is futile.

We are the Quartz, lower your shovels and surrender your rocks. We will add your gemological and mineralogical distinctiveness to our own. You will adapt to service us. Resistance is rutile.

Handmaden Designs LLC
Facebook
Twitter
Pinterest
Handmade Artists Shop
Author Website

Submissions: 106

Posted on Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:00 am

I like it! It's methodical and logical. I'm just glad it's your job and not mine.
<.<
>.>
Very Happy

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Submissions: 79

Posted on Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:09 pm

this seems to be replacing "hybrid" as a 'catch-all' category..

i don't like the idea of "looks like but isn't." as a defining point. i would much rather have a category for "undefined interaction".

the interaction in magemaille is distinct and shows up repeatedly in common weaves. lumping this in with other look-a-likes seems like a bad move. i'd much rather isolate and define the interactions.

PSA: remember to stretch.
3.o is fixing everything.

Submissions: 97

Posted on Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:21 pm

sakredchao wrote:
This seems to be replacing "hybrid" as a 'catch-all' category.

Nope, not a "catch-all." Just a term for the concept of this type of connection. I'm currently working on identifying the specific mimic connections.

sakredchao wrote:
I'd much rather isolate and define the interactions

That is what I'm trying to do, but I first needed to define the concept behind them. So far, I've only identified one, the Japanese-European mimic connection of Mage. However, there are likely others (or eventually will be) and those are what I'm now looking for.

Insistence is futile.

We are the Quartz, lower your shovels and surrender your rocks. We will add your gemological and mineralogical distinctiveness to our own. You will adapt to service us. Resistance is rutile.

Handmaden Designs LLC
Facebook
Twitter
Pinterest
Handmade Artists Shop
Author Website

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1