"The Book Project"
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Group Projects

Submissions: 4

"The Book Project"
Posted on Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:52 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

As some of you may already know, about two years ago a book project was started by the members of M.A.I.L... And has since died. Razz I tried to take lead then but I was in high school and honestly didn't have much experience in maille (and still don't), and so I relied on others from this site to try and add content to it from their own experience... a collaboration from a bunch of people for a book that encompasses many subjects on chainmaille, from jewelry to armor to sculpture.

I was hoping I could re-recruit people, and obviously new recruits are welcome are very much appreciated. My dream has always been to turn this into an easily navigatable website, as well as turned into a hardcopy that people could turn to and carry with them--sometimes a hard copy is just nice to have. (Obviously, if it was turned into a hardcopy, profits from sales [if there were any] would go to this site for server costs and etc.)

One thing we really need is pictures... I'm not sure if anyone would be interested in taking that up, and I don't feel comfortable using articles or pictures straight from the maille site unless an author of said article or picture decides to place that work into the book themselves (or if we get their permission).

The reason I think a group-collaborated project would work best is because we could encompass the experience of many different maillers--I for one specialize in "improvising"... I am very good at using as little resources as possible to make a finished project. Others are very good at creating new and innovative ways to wind and cut coils, modify their tools, etc. We need people with differing levels of experience in different fields of maille to make this a truly "complete" book. Obviously this is a difficult task, considering that even this site leaves a lot of room for growth in terms of articles because there is so much that can be done with maille.

So if you have pre-existing articles that you would like to contribute to the project (and possibly allow for some tweaking of said article), or contribute new information or articles to the project, that would be great!

The site is at http://chainsmith.wetpaint.com (the URL is also always in my sig)
This website hasn't been updated for a while--It's not outdated, it's just been a while since it was really active. Reviving this project is something I would love to see happen, but I can't do this by myself. Basically what I feel I can offer is handling the pages and proofreading, etc. I just need material.

Thank you!
~NinjaTails

Submissions: 1

Posted on Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:53 pm

As I contributed when it started, I would be willing to help out again when I can. Look for some updates from me in the future.

Submissions: 39

Posted on Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:34 am

Sorry, I didn't realize it had died Confused While there aren't 60 new edits a week like the beginning there has been some good content that has gone up in the past year. Granted it isn't as busy as it has been in the past, but dead... far from it. We welcome any and all new contributions.

Once you stop learning, you stop living, so...
Ask questions.
Try new things.
Share what you know.

MailleCode V2.0 T5.3 R4.4 E0.0 Feur MFe.sBr Wg Cwb G.7-5.1 I3.1-11 N20.5 Pj Dcdjt Xa1w2 S08

Submissions: 4

Posted on Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:40 am

Sorry, "dead" was probably not the right term to use, but I haven't seen as much activity as there could be. Honestly I feel pretty useless when it comes to this stuff and so I was just trying to recruit some more help (I realize you have kept the project alive and well MusicMan... thank you!!)

Posted on Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:15 pm

I would say you are far from useless, every time you have left comments on the site they have been well directed and informative. Just add what you know and if there is a topic that interests you research about it and add that as well.

Yes, there has not been as much activity as when we started, but if we keep it alive in time another group will become hot on the topic again and they will have something to start with and build from. I appreciate the effort to get things jump started again. I just never saw it as dead.

Ask questions.
Try new things.
Share what you know.

MailleCode V2.0 T5.3 R4.4 E0.0 Feur MFe.sBr Wg Cwb G.7-5.1 I3.1-11 N20.5 Pj Dcdjt Xa1w2 S08

Posted on Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:32 pm

If anybody is interested in seeing what is there go to the "Rough Draft" section along the left and select Index. There are links that will send you to the different pages.

Ask questions.
Try new things.
Share what you know.

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1