box weave
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> Weaves Discussion

Submissions: 0

box weave
Posted on Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:22 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

I am fairly new to chain maille, i have spent most of my time trying to get closures on my rings looking good in a few basic weaves.

I have made a few box weave bracelets but these take me upto 2 hours .
How long does it usually take to make a box bracelet ? And do you have any tips for speeding up the weaving other than practice? I have read several articles but some say open and close certain rings before and some say do it as you go along

thanks for taking a look x x

Submissions: 149

Posted on Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:29 pm

Two hours for a bracelet CAN be normal - depending on used ring size and count. As long as there's no NEED to be productive, like e.g. having a bit too tight scheduled delivery date, it is a wise decision to concentrate on making that what is done as perfect as possible. Concentration on making good closings right at the outset belongs to this, as avoidance of marred rings is.

About speedweaving methods, using preclosed rings: It depends, on many factors, whether this makes sense or not. For large projects like maille shirts, maybe even woven by several people that team up, this can very well make sense, or for people riding the bus for hours daily. For small jewellery projects it makes seldom sense, in my opinion. But this depends also on the chosen weave. Personally, there are only a handful of weaves, where I use preclosed rings, due to the one or other advantage they give me. Most times I weave classic ORAAT - one ring at a time. But it's good to know the preclosed-ring weaving methods nevertheless, to be able to work with nonstandard ring types like rubber O-rings, washers, or scales - the moment will come for every mailler - sooner or later.

I can only tell, that you should develop your personal work style, without much interference from outside. Speed will come with experience, as preferences do.

-ZiLi-

Maille Code V2.0 T7.1 R5.6 Ep Fper MAl Ws$ Cpbsw$ G0.3-6.4 I1.0-30.0 N28.25 Ps Dacdejst Xagtw S08 Hip

Human societies are like chain mail.
A single link will be worth nothing.
A chain is of use, but will break at the weakest link.
A weak weave will have the need to replace weak links.
A strong weave will survive even with weak links included.
-'me

Posted on Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:28 pm

Greater speed will come with practice and experience. It is best to work on good closures, as you are already doing. Pre-closing rings probably doesn't save that much time overall, but can be convenient.

Submissions: 389

Posted on Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:47 pm

i agree with the above posters. take your time and work on good closures, speed will come with experience. right now i can put together a stainless steel 16swg box bracelet consisting of 120 rings in 30 minutes. speed is a bonus after all other factors are paid close attention to. for example, paying attention to any pains and aches in your wrists, hands, or shoulders should, in my opinion, be a priority to speed. there are too many personal factors to say that anyone should weave a certain way. it's just something you have to figure out on your own because of differences in body types, mental types, and preferences.

Posted on Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:01 pm

Thanks for the replies.
I think it takes me so long as i have been focusing on my closures because it seems to considered the basics and essential working practices to follow.

I think it will be a case of practice makes perfect .....off i go to practice some more

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1