school friendly?
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> League Business

Submissions: 79

school friendly?
Posted on Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:24 pm
Link to Post: Link to Post

i was in santa fe jewelry supply, and one of the women behind the counter was a mailler.. one of the things we discussed was MAIL and the benefit it would have for kids if it were accessible through schools.

she suggested a mirror site that had offensive content censored.. i don't know if students can access our site from their school, but i seem to recall someone saying they could not at one point several years back..

is this worth looking into this? is it feasible on the coding level?

lotos, i know you're busy, but i think about this a couple times a year.. and i told her i'd toss up this thread.

i would be happy to do the legwork to find out if we are being blocked by strict content filters, and what is blocking us.

if our goal is to educate, shouldn't we be in the schools?

PSA: remember to stretch.
3.o is fixing everything.

Submissions: 42

Posted on Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:28 pm

chao - I am able to access it at school and I teach at an elementary school so I don't think there is any problem there. (At least in my district) although I am logged in as a teacher so I will go to the library today and see what I can do there.

Once you stop learning, you stop living, so...
Ask questions.
Try new things.
Share what you know.

MailleCode V2.0 T5.3 R4.4 E0.0 Feur MFe.sBr Wg Cwb G.7-5.1 I3.1-11 N20.5 Pj Dcdjt Xa1w2 S08

Submissions: 20

Re: school friendly?
Posted on Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:20 pm

sakredchao wrote:
i was in santa fe jewelry supply, and one of the women behind the counter was a mailler.. one of the things we discussed was MAIL and the benefit it would have for kids if it were accessible through schools.

she suggested a mirror site that had offensive content censored.. i don't know if students can access our site from their school, but i seem to recall someone saying they could not at one point several years back..

is this worth looking into this? is it feasible on the coding level?

lotos, i know you're busy, but i think about this a couple times a year.. and i told her i'd toss up this thread.

i would be happy to do the legwork to find out if we are being blocked by strict content filters, and what is blocking us.

if our goal is to educate, shouldn't we be in the schools?

Near as I can tell we're not being blocked by anything... Except the strictest filters.

Some site filters block ANY online sites that carry message boards/forums/chat areas... In that regard, there's nothing we can do... Short of closing the forums... And at that point, to be honest, we should be educating the school board, not culling our content for fear of demonization.

I fear some of this is still fallout from Charles and TCB over a ridiculous discussion of 'Adult Content' in maille... Which, to be honest, is beyond stupid... As you'll find more skin on the cover of Seventeen Magazine, then you'll ever find in the Gallery on MAIL...

We also already have a (rather obnoxiously) strict word censor here on the forums.

If there are any site filters out there blocking us due to our 'content'... I'd be more than happy to fire an email off to the content teams... But I seriously doubt there are....

It's likely, if at all, a case of the generic 'ZOMG THEY HAVE A PLACE WHERE LIKEMINDED INDIVIDUALS CAN CONVERSE' block.

Posted on Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:31 pm

musicman, i would appreciate that.

lotos, my memories of someone saying that they could not access MAIL could be from around that time.

i would love it if this is a non-issue i brought up.

Submissions: 1

Posted on Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:41 am

In regards to the strict filtering of schools I agree with educating the school boards of our content and what we are trying to do here. The preservation of a very old craft is IMHO more important than trying to keep people away from "adult content". Any of said skin showing is usually dealing with showing the bikini tops, but thats it. The rest of the gallery pics are very respectable.

In regards to the blocking of any message boards is due to some of them carrying hidden virus coding, and some are a major security risk for orginizations of larger calibur. If that is the reason why MAIL is being blocked then there is really nothing that can be done about it.

we all walk to the same end, no matter what path we follow

Submissions: 0

Posted on Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:52 pm

At the school I teach at The Ring Lord forum is blocked as it is categorized as a "Forum/Social Network" (by the filter). This forum however remains unblocked and accessible. As well as since I use this site to help teach my students will remain accessible to them as long as I can keep making arguments for the use in the class.

Submissions: 20

Posted on Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:23 am

ChainedReaction wrote:
At the school I teach at The Ring Lord forum is blocked as it is categorized as a "Forum/Social Network" (by the filter). This forum however remains unblocked and accessible. As well as since I use this site to help teach my students will remain accessible to them as long as I can keep making arguments for the use in the class.

It's possible that since the forum is just a small part of our site most content teams have (wisely) chosen to not class us under the "Forum/Social Network" banner.

Submissions: 42

Posted on Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:10 pm

Sorry it took me so long to get back. I checked at a couple of my elementary schools and none of them block MAIL.

Once you stop learning, you stop living, so...
Ask questions.
Try new things.
Share what you know.

MailleCode V2.0 T5.3 R4.4 E0.0 Feur MFe.sBr Wg Cwb G.7-5.1 I3.1-11 N20.5 Pj Dcdjt Xa1w2 S08

Posted on Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:34 am

chainedreaction, musicman thank you both for checking that out!

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1