2%
 2%  [ 2 ]
design and build a tool used to make maille
12%
 12%  [ 11 ]
Total Votes : 86

Submissions: 106

***Vote for the theme of Contest 14***
Posted on Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:02 am || Last edited by lorraine on Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Link to Post: Link to Post

Voting for the theme of contest 14 will be open for one week, until the end of Monday, February 28, 2011. So pick a favorite from the list and exercise your right to vote.

Contest Rules
1. Entries must be at least 2/3 maille woven within the time frame of the contest. The remaining 1/3 can be any maille previously woven or any non-maille. Maille consists of any rings, metal or otherwise, or ring substitutes like scales or pop tabs. Non-maille consists of things like beads or wire wraps.

2. You can submit as many entries as you like.

3. Pictures and descriptions of the entry should be submitted to the contest submission thread before the deadline, by hosting the pictures offsite. Pictures must be a MAXIMUM of 100k and a MAXIMUM of 800px per side.

4. After the deadline for contest entries, the contest organizer will create a voting thread with all the entries, to be voted on by the membership. The entire membership may vote, each member having one vote. Polls usually last one week before the winner is declared.

5. The winner of the contest will receive a colored shield by their avatar with a number corresponding to the contest they won. The winner will also be granted automatic inclusion of their suggestion on the list of themes for the next contest.

6. The contest organizer may invalidate any entry. If you have concerns about your or any other entry, please contact the contest organizer with a PM. If the contest organizer deems it necessary, a new thread for public discussion will be opened.

Contest Rules Discussion Thread
Theme Contest Archives

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Submissions: 6

Posted on Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:54 pm

I voted "candleholders", but I think this should be broadened. In the brainstorming topic, we talked about maille with lights/lanterns and/or flames/fire, not just candleholders.

Submissions: 20

Re: ***Vote for the theme of Contest 14***
Posted on Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:59 pm

I would just like to point out that the current 'Vote Leader':
"design and build a tool used to make maille"
Is going to be ridiculously tricky given the rules constraint:

lorraine wrote:
Contest Rules
1. Entries must be at least 2/3 maille woven within the time frame of the contest. The remaining 1/3 can be any maille previously woven or any non-maille. Maille consists of any rings, metal or otherwise, or ring substitutes like scales or pop tabs. Non-maille consists of things like beads or wire wraps.

Useful Links
Site Help: [ BBCode Help | Weave AR/Ring Size Popup | Login Issues ]
Weave AR Search is back: Try it out!

Submissions: 0

Posted on Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:07 pm

Daemon_Lotos wrote:

lorraine wrote:
Contest Rules

Just means that you have to attach a piece of maille to it that is twice as large as the tool itself!

Submissions: 7

Posted on Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:43 pm

Daemon_Lotos wrote:

lorraine wrote:
Contest Rules

*evil grin*
I have an excellent idea if it becomes the contest. It's another one of those random projects that I would love to try out, but never really got around to.
Although it is stretching the definition of "Non-maille" as it isn't very close to beads or wire wraps.

while(!project.isFinished())
project.addRing();
// Maille Code V2.0 T6.2 R5.6 Eo.n Fper MFe.s Wsm Caws G0.8-1.6 I2.4-8.0 N22.20 Pn Dcdjs Xg39w1 S07

Posted on Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:46 pm

TrenchCoatGuy wrote:
Although it is stretching the definition of "Non-maille" as it isn't very close to beads or wire wraps.

Anything is covered under 'non-maille' courtesy of the words 'or otherwise'... But that still constrains the piece to 2/3rds maille...

ChainedReaction wrote:

Just means that you have to attach a piece of maille to it that is twice as large as the tool itself!

Oh, come on Razz
That's like writing a 3-page essay in one page, and then leaving two pages of explanations of terms on the first page.

Useful Links

Submissions: 106

Posted on Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:50 pm

xzorby wrote:
I voted "candleholders", but I think this should be broadened. In the brainstorming topic, we talked about maille with lights/lanterns and/or flames/fire, not just candleholders.

The exact wording of that suggestion in the brainstorming thread was...
tweemaster1 wrote:
how bout lights or lanterns? tea light type thingys... wall sconses? not sure what exactly what to call it but something to put a candle in and look cool in the dark....

That's a candleholder.

If you are talking about the suggestion for maille with fire...
http://www.mailleartisans.org/board/viewtopic.php?t=16157&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=45#209928

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Posted on Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:34 pm

Can I just point out that contests are only what, 12 weeks? That's not very much time to make armor. I know 1/3 can already be woven, but armor typically takes a lot of time and materials.

It's like the chainmail equivalent of Project Runway.

Posted on Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:36 pm

Sorry lorraine, missed that post. I understand why you don't want to encourage people 'playing' with fire.

I think tweemaster1 meant something like a lantern to put a tealight in, which is something different than a candleholder. Would lanterns (and lamp shades) be allowed for this theme, or not?

Posted on Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:40 pm

xzorby wrote:
I think tweemaster1 meant something like a lantern to put a tealight in, which is something different than a candleholder. Would lanterns (and lamp shades) be allowed for this theme, or not?

As always, you're free to submit something... It is up to the voters to decide if it fits the theme or not.

Useful Links

Posted on Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:43 pm || Last edited by Daemon_Lotos on Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

Becca_N wrote:
Can I just point out that contests are only what, 12 weeks? That's not very much time to make armor. I know 1/3 can already be woven, but armor typically takes a lot of time and materials.

This is true... For human sized armour Very Happy
But you could armour your cat in a couple of days Razz (Good luck getting it to stay on, mind you... Coif LoL)

And I suspect experinced armourers could probably turn a 'berk out in a couple of months.

Armour also encompasses Vambrace's, Coifs, etc... Not necessarily a full length Hauberk.

Useful Links

Posted on Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:43 pm

Daemon_Lotos wrote:

As always, you're free to submit something... It is up to the voters to decide if it fits the theme or not.

Yes, but if the theme were "Candleholders", and somebody came with a really nice lampshade, I wouldn't vote for it (because a lampshade is not a candleholder to me). That's why I'm asking for the theme to be broadened.

Submissions: 4

Posted on Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:17 am

Becca_N wrote:

Not necessarily. Check the past contests. For all of the really nice entries, how long do you think those took? I can think of several past submissions that would have taken longer than a piece of armor to weave. Besides, armor doesn't always mean a full hauberk. You could always make a coif or bracer.

Posted on Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:41 am

Daemon_Lotos wrote:

But you could armour your cat in a couple of days Razz (Good luck getting it to stay on, mind you... Coif LoL)

Don't forget stuffed animals! I have a dragon who could use some armoring....

Submissions: 46

Posted on Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:59 am

BrassButtons wrote:
Daemon_Lotos wrote:

Don't forget stuffed animals! I have a dragon who could use some armoring....
Take a look at my avatar. The mouse is wearing a hauberk. Wink

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 2. Goto page 1, 2  Next