Expanded BBCode
View previous topic | View next topic >
M.A.I.L. Forum Index -> M.A.I.L. Help

Submissions: 20

Expanded BBCode
Posted on Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:51 am || Last edited by Daemon_Lotos on Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Link to Post: Link to Post

As some of you may know, the main portion of the site that has been upgraded (IE: The Weaves DB) now accepts BBCode in the Weave Descriptions.
This is to replace any problems that may occur with HTML, and to make things more user friendly (as almost everyone these days knows BBCode)

A few months back, I wrote (along with some Regular Expression help from a fellow MAIL user, thanks CShake) some BBCode Conversions to turn tags into weave links and article links, so you guys didn't need to go searching for URL's and Weave Keys, etc...

Today, I finally brought them to the forum. (Along with fixing BBCode in User Signatures... Which somehow introduced an old "Slash Quote" bug... But that's another story.)

So, without further ado, I'm here to let you know that:
Code:
[weave=European 4 in 1]

Will become: European 4 in 1 all by itself.

AND
Code:
[article=Unit Conversion Cheat Sheet]

Will become Unit Conversion Tables

REMEMBER: Spell the Weave Name or Article Name correctly or it won't work Smile

Also see: http://www.mailleartisans.org/help/bbcode.php

Don't worry if you forget... There's a little note to this effect above the posting box now that contains a link (opens in a new window) to the BBCode Help Page.

Useful Links
Site Help: [ BBCode Help | Weave AR/Ring Size Popup | Login Issues ]
Weave AR Search is back: Try it out!

Submissions: 74

Posted on Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:55 am

cool.

can you add this, if we don'thave it yet.

http://www.phpbb3bbcodes.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=324

maille Code V2.0 T8.3 R6.4 Ep.f Fper Mfe.s Wsg$ Cpw$ G0.25-2.5 I0.5-30 N31.31 Pa Dacdjw Xa27g37w1 S94

Submissions: 150

Posted on Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:56 pm

Daemon_Lotos wrote:
As some of you may know, the main portion of the site that has been upgraded (IE: The Weaves DB) now accepts BBCode in the Weave Descriptions ...

That's good 'straightforward thinking', to embed something that works in the library, throughout the site, in the forum as well. Thank you for the effort.

What I see a bit problematic, is the fact that many weave names, as well as article titles are not really easy to find - and finally to enter without typo. So some type of search popup (maybe similar to the username search when writing a PM) could be an enhancement, increasing the acceptance level of this new feature.

-ZiLi-

BTW: I dislike obtrusive graphics in signatures, especially advertisement ones...

Maille Code V2.0 T7.1 R5.6 Ep Fper Mfe.s Ws$ Cpbsw$ G0.3-6.4 I1.0-30.0 N28.25 Pj Dacdejst Xagtw S08 Hi

Human societies are like chain mail.
A single link will be worth nothing.
A chain is of use, but will break at the weakest link.
A weak weave will have the need to replace weak links.
A strong weave will survive even with weak links included.
-'me

Posted on Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:29 pm

MaxumX wrote:
cool.

can you add this, if we don'thave it yet.

http://www.phpbb3bbcodes.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=324

That's a phpBB3 mod... Since we're still running 2, the answer is 'not yet'... Sorry...
Recoding a mod to work with our forum software isn't exactly top priority on my list of things to do... The Weave and Article tags were added simply to get people more used to them.

The plan is to eventually upgrade to phpBB3... And at that point, I will totally look into that mod.

ZiLi wrote:
What I see a bit problematic, is the fact that many weave names, as well as article titles are not really easy to find - and finally to enter without typo. So some type of search popup (maybe similar to the username search when writing a PM) could be an enhancement, increasing the acceptance level of this new feature.

The problem with popups like that, is that they rarely know what is going on... (For lack of a better explanation)
This is part of the reason some of the weave names need to be cleaned up...
Have the AKA's moved to a seperate dedicated Database field, as well as have AKA's and Abbreviations added for more common weaves.
That way, when someone enters [weave=Euro 4 in 1] it will search the DB, find that as a common abbreviation for European 4 in 1, and correct the tag.
Also, what we did for Byzantine... Once the extra AKA's are out of the Weave Name, you don't need to remember them all to link it.

That being said, I'm looking into some form of AutoComplete... I just don't want to have to drop to AJAX and make the site more resource intensive... I'm hoping I can throw a Javascript/DHTML solution together.
(I can hear all those folks that like browsing with their No-JS plugin screaming as I type that. Coif LoL)

Useful Links

Submissions: 106

Posted on Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:33 pm

Ooh, I really really like the idea of an autocomplete!

"I am a leaf on the wind." ~ Wash
Lorraine's Chains
Gallery Submission Guidelines

Submissions: 150

Posted on Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:02 pm

Daemon_Lotos wrote:
... That being said, I'm looking into some form of AutoComplete... I just don't want to have to drop to AJAX and make the site more resource intensive... I'm hoping I can throw a Javascript/DHTML solution together ...

Well, as long as the preview before submit shows whether there's a typo (shows no link to the library entry) or not (working link is generated), most will be well. Worst case will be a re-edit, then.

-ZiLi-

Maille Code V2.0 T7.1 R5.6 Ep Fper Mfe.s Ws$ Cpbsw$ G0.3-6.4 I1.0-30.0 N28.25 Pj Dacdejst Xagtw S08 Hi

Human societies are like chain mail.
A single link will be worth nothing.
A chain is of use, but will break at the weakest link.
A weak weave will have the need to replace weak links.
A strong weave will survive even with weak links included.
-'me

Submissions: 74

Posted on Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:14 pm

darn, guess it still old school resizing and linking then...Razz

maille Code V2.0 T8.3 R6.4 Ep.f Fper Mfe.s Wsg$ Cpw$ G0.25-2.5 I0.5-30 N31.31 Pa Dacdjw Xa27g37w1 S94

Posted on Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:58 pm

Other note on these...
I have not forgotten Weave Name Changes.

IF (and when) someone renames their Weave here on MAIL... The change will be reflected IMMEDIATELY around the site, in ALL BBCode links.

IE:
I submit "Weave X"
We all talk about it in the forums for a while, linking to it using BBCode
Code:

[weave=Weave X]

Some people even base their weaves off it, link to it in the weave descriptions.
People write articles about it, link to it in the Article descriptions.
People submit gallery items using it, and tag it in their gallery items.

THEN I decide I want to change the name of it...
OHNOES!
What's going to happen?!

Well, everything will keep working as it should Smile As soon as an admin approves the weave name change, *poof* all the links change.
People talking about it in forum posts from last month will suddenly seem to have known the new name all along.

Ahhh, the magic of SQL Very Happy

I'm not usually one to toot my own horn, but DAMN, I'm proud of this. Very Happy

The moral of the story folks? Whenever you're talking about Weaves, tag them with BBCode! And that way, when people rename them, you'll look like geniuses!

Useful Links

Submissions: 93

Posted on Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:43 am

Tootle it vociferously, my friend!

"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one."

George Bernard Shaw

Maille Code V1.0 T5.7 R5.1 Fhd MCu Wc Cd G2.03/.56 I9.75/3.25 Pn Dacdjs S97 CCi

Jump to:  
Page 1 of 1